Tuesday 1 June 2010

What a grey day!

Well that is another Bank holiday weekend over. It is amazing how quickly they go. I spent most of Friday indoors, apart from my usual walk, trying to get motivated to do some ironing. I am not very good at self discipline these days, I suppose it is because my days are a bit unstructured, I do whatever I feel like doing, unless there is a job that shouts Urgent. We had herb crusted haddock for dinner, which is recipe I found on the internet, and very nice it was too.
Saturday dawned grey and miserable. I needed to get to town before the banks closed to transfer some money, so we were a bit more organised. It began to rain before we left home, so out came the waterproofs. We split up in town, I sorted the cash, got the market shopping and we met up in M&S. We decided  on lunch at home, so got the bus back up. I get a bit fed up with salad, and as I'd been snacking, due to tiredness during the week, and my weight is up, decided stir fried scallops and veg would be lovely, and warming and not too high in calories, on such a grey wet day.

I went up to our bedroom, and saw K's wedding car had arrived, so I grabbed my camera and dashed out. I had put on a warm jacket, which was just as well as it was still raining, not heavily, and they were taking photos indoors. We also heard the pop of a champagne cork. I was chatting to the driver whilst I waited. Eventually they emerged, K looked lovely, but as she is petite her shoes were 1inch platforms, and mega high heels, so she had  trouble getting out of the door. Her Mum looked very elegant too. I took some snaps to show Daughter. Sadly they had to use brollys to get to the car, and  after they set off the rain absolutely pelted down. I have known K since she was born. Her Mum and I actually met at ante natal classes when we were expecting the older 2. She was due a month before me, but as she went nearly 2 weeks over ,and I was induced a week early, her son and my daughter are only 10 days apart.
I was a bit cross as our Telegraph did not contain the Weekend section, I couldn't do the GK crossword. Still, I managed to finish the back of a baby cardigan I am knitting. I also went up into the loft to get down some plastic boxes for Daughter and  Son in Law for them to use as they pack up to move. Contracts were exchanged on Wednesday.
They came for lunch on Sunday but didn't stay all afternoon, as she wanted to lie down for a rest and our spare bed has stuff all over it as husband had to repair a drawer, so the stuff from the drawer had to go somewhere.
When I chose my kitchen taps I chose them for their looks, but didn't realise it would be difficult to fit a hose connector. We have no outside tap, and being in a terrace would need it at the back of the house where there is no water supply. Husband needed a new rake, so I suggested a trip to a different garden centre  near St Albans, where they might have more choice. There were lots of people there, but  it is huge so didn't feel too crowded. There is not room for two trolleys to pass in the plant section, so I ended up reversing, with an uncooperative trolley. Husband found peat there, he's been looking for peat for ages. I bought lovely fuchsia, sadly non hardy, and a gardenia to replace one on my kitchen windowsill, which I have been desperately trying to revive. Home to lunch, a doze then more planting. We have fruit canes  growing all along one bed, we have never seen so much blossom on them, so when I was planting I had bees buzzing round my head. We have a nest under next door's paving, near where the field mice are. I read somewhere that bees like to nest where  mice have been. Our blackcurrant is heaving with fruit too. I'd better clear space in the freezer. . Oh well the hose connector I got yesterday didn't fit either, I scraped some rubber out to try and get it to fit, so can't return it.
It is a dull day again today, so I must tackle the ironing and get some more plants in, my pots need re doing.
I had better get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment