Sunday 6 July 2014

A train, a boat, some planes, (and a bus or two)

On the first Monday of our holiday, we walked down into Swanage to explore a bit, and to collect a timetable for the Swanage railway. We found that there was a Budgen's and a Co-op  for food shopping. It was a bit cloudy and breezy that day, we wandered around trying to get the feel of the place, we found a pleasant tearoom on the front where we had lunch, Jacket potato with crab for me, and pasty for husband. Creatures of habit? Us? There was seating outside, but we ate in. One of the things I had forgotten to take with me was a small purse and a small bag. Carrying a heavy shoulder bag everywhere  can be quite tiring, and I don't need most of the plastic cards I carry every day. I found a nice little bag shop,and bought a smaller purse and a lightweight 'across the body' bag.
walking down the hill into Swanage

 Afterwards we wandered a bit more, then walked to the main beach car park. I had found a bus timetable in the cottage,and there was bus which runs in the summer months to Durlston Country Park.  We soon found a group of ladies, waiting for the bus and chatted to them. They had been to Durdle door on the bus, and were now waiting for the number 5, which they hoped was running, and they joked about climbing 'Angina Hill', eventually, the number 5 came,and we boarded. The smart reader didn't seem to like our bus passes, and beeped, but it must be something to do with our County as the drivers always said,' that's ok, just go and sit down'. it was lovely to ride up the hill. Husband had managed to stub his toe on the stone fireplace in the dining room,and was finding walking painful
 We spent the  evening after dinner watching old detective series, as we wanted to avoid the football at all costs. We also read the Telegraph, and I got stuck into a Biography of the hymnwriter Augustus Toplady, which I have been meaning to read for ages.
On the Tuesday we had sorted out the train we wanted, so walked to the station and bought two Rover tickets. The track isn't very long, not as long as the NYMR for instance, but nevertheless we managed to get a steam haul. The train came in, and we watched the engine change ends. It is single track, except for passing places at stations.
We stayed on till Norden. The weather was brightening up, and it was quite warm. At Norden there is an old carriage where refreshments are served, and we had a ham bap each and a coffee. Then I wandered off down a pathway to find the ladies room, and discovered a ball clay mining museum. so we paid that a visit, and found it interesting. Then we wandered down a different path back to the railway in plenty of time to see our engine coming in.
This time we got off at Corfe castle. We thought we would visit the actual castle on a different day, but enjoyed exploring the village, and bought ourselves ice creams. We wandered back to the railway, catching the steam haul again, then getting off the train, and picking up the number 5 bus. We were pleased that the weather had picked up, I had my cuppa in the garden, then we spent the evening in a similar fashion.
I think it may have been that night that I had my first bad night,despite the comfort of the bed, I couldn't get comfy and coughed a lot.


Our Engine
trucks at clay mine
Corfe castle village


Model of village

castle from the station
On the Wednesday, we set off to visit Bournemouth, by bus. I had said we might as well get use out of our bus passes, and there is a number 50 bus, the Purbeck Breezer. So down the hill we walked, the Breezer buses leave from the side of the Railway station. Just as I boarded there was a moment's panic as I couldn't find my bus pass. I was using the new bag,and thought I had slipped it onto a pocket. I asked how much the fare was and was told £8! Suddenly I realised it was in a small zipped compartment on the front, phew!
We went upstairs,as I thought the view would be better, But the driver seemed to hare along country lanes, then stop for ages at bus stops. We did have a good view, but I found it a bit scarey. The man in front started talking to us, he seemed lonely. I wasn't too happy when he told us that a few years ago, one of the double deckers had toppled over, fortunately landing on sand and no one was hurt.
We certainly had a good view of the planes which we had noticed a few times, they seemed to circle the bay, and drop small parachutes every now and again. There are a lot of military training camps in the area, and these were definitely military planes. We passed Studland and the Naturist Beach. I had forgotten how beautifully wild that area is. Then passing through the toll we took our place in the queue for the ferry boat.
Some actually argue that it is not a boat, but a floating bridge. We had a wonderful view on the ferry, which is a chain ferry. Then the bus meandered through suburbs of Bournemouth, eventually dropping us outside a large department store. We wandered around the streets, for a while popping in various shops, then eventually found M&S, bought sandwiches etc for lunch,  and sat in a park to eat them. Later we wandered  through another park, where there is a large tethered air balloon, which only goes up and down. It was about £11 for a ride. I expect the views were spectacular, but not being fond of heights, we didn't fancy it. We then walked down to the pier,and stood watching people on the beach for a while. There was something going on, some preparation. It may have been for beach Volleyball, which is played in Bournemouth. We walked back through the park, bought ice creams, and then wandered up to the bus stop. We sat downstairs on the way back. First I was at the back, but over the engine, and it was uncomfortable, but before we left the suburbs, I managed to bag another seat,and eventually husband was able to sit beside me. Back in Swanage we caught the number 5 back to the bungalow.
tethered air balloon
Bournemouth pier

our rented bungalow

No comments:

Post a Comment