Sunday 6 March 2011

March meanderings

Well this week certainly began differently from a normal week. Husband had taken 2 days leave for our anniversary, and we left home just before lunchtime on Monday. We drove along the A41 through Aylesbury and then towards Bicester. Feeling peckish we decided to stop at the Bicester shopping village for lunch. It was quite cold wet and windy, but we soon found ourselves in Pret a Manger tucking into sandwiches, and a yoghurt for me, and a croissant for husband. Afterwards, he thought we should at least look around the place, but I found it quite disappointing. Mostly designer labels, and as I am neither young nor svelte, nothing appealed to me. There is a Le Creuset shop, with plenty of coloured pans, but I didn't even venture in. Even the shoe shop, usually a magnet for me in my quest for comfort failed to impress. Husband did however buy a pair of shoes.
We went on our way, and the satnav directed us via country lanes to our destination -Woodstock. I had looked at hotels in the Cotswolds, but needed an attraction for the next day. However this is on the edge of the Cotswolds, so would do. We drove through some very 'Midsomer' villages, all thatched cottages, village greens and ponds.
Soon we had booked in to the Bear Hotel and were shown to our room, which overlooked the churchyard. Husband commented that there would be no problems with the neighbours. It was actually a courtyard room, presumably an old stables or Coach house. The bed was enormous and dominated the room. We decided to go out for walk, and wandered round the streets. There were a few antique shops, but we did not venture in. We wandered around gift shops, and I found a nice Anniversary card that was not too soppy, or indeed expensive. I also bought one to post for my sister whose anniversary is the day after ours. She however has many more years under her belt, as unlike me she married quite young
Bear Hotel


View from room

 We walked to the end of the main Street, and turned the corner, and unexpectedly found ourselves right outside Blenheim Park, our destination for the next day. We could not find a tea shop that was not about to close, but returned to the hotel, went into the bar and ordered tea and coffee. It was very pleasant sitting with a roaring fire, listening to the other occupants discussing playing the stock market and losing, and discussing the Civil War. Apparently Cromwell had a house in the town.
On returning to our room we browsed the papers and channel hopped with the enormous TV till dinner time. The meal did not disappoint, although the dining room was a bit chilly. It was modern English, where the food is artistically  arranged on the plate. There doesn't seem much till one comes to eat it. We chose the same starter, a pressed ham, and unusually I had the bread, which was home made and looked so good.
They brought us a sorbet afterwards, then our mains, pork for him and fish for me. I usually go for the fish as I feel it is less calorific. This had a parsnip risotto, and the sole was rolled into a sausage shape. We shared a side of new potatoes and veg. For desert however, I could not resist the chocolate marquise with chocolate jelly, which undid all the good that the fish had done. Husband chose pineapple and chili foam, with apple doughnuts, tiny doughnuts, but he declared the 'Foam' interesting.
After coffee we returned to our room, a bit chilly crossing the Courtyard. As usual there was nothing worth watching on the enormous TV, so we turned it off and turned in.  The bed was quite firm however, and regular readers of this blog know that I prefer a medium bed. I tossed and turned; the church clock struck twelve then one. I may have dozed , but I didn't hear two and three, but was wide awake for four. Needless to say husband slept and was up long before me muttering about 7 am breakfasts. The papers ordered at reception were outside the door, so he had something to keep him occupied whilst I showered and dressed. Breakfast was up to standard, and we booked out later and bought tickets for Blenheim, and a Bear with a sweater advertising the hotel. that is for a certain young man when he stops putting everything in his mouth.
We drove through the gates after showing our tickets, and along the drive past the lake. It was impressive, but would have been better in the sunshine. Once parked we explored part of the lake and the bridge but decided it was too cold to stay outside.
 We discovered that the Duke's apartment was open as he is away, so we handed over some more cash for a half hour tour. It was very interesting.  We saw all the old bells, about 48 of them, and some of the living quarters but not the bedrooms. After lunch in the cafe there we did the downstairs tour. The last time I was there I was 14 and am sure I remember a wooden cradle in the room where  Winston Churchill was born. That is no longer there, but there is a very ornate cradle in another room all gilded. Sadly no indoor photography allowed. We finished the tour, then back in for the upstairs 'hidden history', which was quite interesting. We explored some of the gardens, but as it was so cold decided to go back when the sun is shining, having converted our tickets free of charge to an annual pass.
water garden

main gates

water garden

some of the many statues

We reached Bicester town in time for a Tea stop, and were home in plenty of time for me to defrost sausages for dinner, what a come down!
After parent and toddlers on Wednesday daughter and I went to the surgery, me for the asthma clinic, and she for a repeat prescription. The nurse insisted in taking my BP despite only having it done last week.She pronounced it perfect, so that just proves the white coat syndrome. Due to my lack of sleep on Monday I fell asleep after lunch Thursday and again missed women's hour. Friday I went back to physio, and had more treatment, and was 'taped' for support. however the shoulder began to itch, so yesterday took it off only to discover a blister. This must have been caused by the wheat bag I had been told to use before exercise. Friday evening I babysat, taking a book with me: ' The deafening sound of Silent tears,' which is the story of Caring for Life, a Christian charity set up in Leeds for the homeless. It is quite harrowing in parts, but shows God's provision in wonderful ways when they were about to run out of funds. We know a  young man who works there, he did a voluntary year after uni, but decided to stay on.
After I had finished the book, I started to watch   Question Time on i player. At 10.30 there came a shout form upstairs. It was obvious someone was awake, but he would not settle, so I took him down and gave him some formula, so I got some extra cuddles.
Yesterday evening my sinuses began to play up, I wonder if using Dyson Zorb on the carpet had sparked a reaction?. I  had a bad night with poor breathing but could not get up and get an inhaler, it felt like too much effort. I have been resting today, no church for me, lots of inhaler use and a nasal washout. I hope it doesn't go to my chest as I've seen enough Doctors to last me for a while. I have slept a lot today too, I hope this week is good one.One good thing, after trawling the internet for hours I have at last booked a summer holiday. Roll on Sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment