Sunday 22 May 2011

Hellos, goodbyes, and friendships renewed.

This has been a busy week, in some ways, but I haven't spent much time at home doing housework.  The window cleaner paid a return visit on Monday, full of a story about why he had not returned before. I didn't mind, it's just nice to have clean windows and frames without having to hang out of upstairs windows.
Husband has had a badly infected finger since getting a splinter in it at work, and I had advised 'drawing ointment.'  This had worked up to a point, but we both felt he needed an antibiotic, so early Monday  morning was spent dialling and redialling till I got him an evening appointment. He was given a prescription for an antibiotic, and just got into Boots before they closed.
Son and his wife came down for a couple of days as she had a course in Watford. Son brought his mower and hedge trimmer and did some work in Daughter's garden as that is where they stayed. On Tuesday Daughter had to go to the dentist at lunchtime, so I went up there to look after Baby. He is coming on apace with his crawling, going on all fours most of the time, and is toddling around the furniture quite happily. I made him some lunch, and he made quite a mess, so I resorted to feeding him with a spoon. Finger feeding may be ok, but most seems to end up on the floor.
I did help a little bit in the garden, but my shoulder objects so soon that I cannot do much.  I would far rather look after the baby whilst the others do the work. I came home for a while, and then husband and I went back there as we had been invited for dinner. Daughter was a bit harassed, so I took Baby and bathed him and got him ready for bed. He went down quite well, and we got on with the business of eating a very nice chilli with rice, followed by brownies and ice cream. We had to have plates on our laps as they still haven't got around to making a final decision on  their dining table. It has to be a certain shape and size to fit in their fairly narrow dining alcove. After a while Baby awoke and cried, and wouldn't stop, so his Daddy brought him down. I reckon he could hear the grown ups talking and decided  he didn't want to be left out. He was trying to crawl in his sleeping bag, and looked more and more like 'Sweepea' from the old Popeye cartoons.
We didn't stay too late as husband was going to Bristol the next day for a team meeting. He has a new boss since the merger with Orange. The Bristol trip had been postponed twice as his colleague had been unwell.
I was up early, before he left, for once and manged to get to Sainsbury's relatively early too.It was fairly quiet, I must get back into the habit of going there early. I used to drop kids off at school and go straight there, arriving well before 9am .I went home, unpacked all of the shopping, then went and got changed into smarter, more sober clothes. I actually followed the hearse through town and up the hill to the Baptist church where the service was to take place. The first people I saw were a couple whose wedding service I had attended several years ago. The last time I saw her was at the funeral of a young woman we both knew who had died at 27. I asked after H's family and was told her eldest is off to university in September! Where does the time go?
Inside the church I saw that H's parents were there. I have known them for years, but they retired to Norfolk s few years ago. There were other old friends there too. Daughter and Son arrived and gave me baby to hold. I think he was tired, as he clung to me like a limpet. It was quite a short service, as there would be more at the crematorium.
We had known Clive for almost 27 years. Our pastor had just left to go and be a missionary, and someone was coming 'with a view' to take the Wednesday bible study. I remember walking in and seeing two strangers, and immediately decided that one of them was the visiting speaker. However I was wrong, but I wasn't the only person to have made that mistake. Clive had been involved with studying with Jehovah's witnesses, had realised that they said some odd things, so decided to visit us to find out more. He was soon converted and baptised, and became an honorary Uncle to our 2 children and to others in the church. He joined in with rambles readily, and one of my abiding memories is of him pushing our son in his Cindico buggy over very rough terrain somewhere in Buckinghamshire. He suddenly remarked 'I shall be glad when I have had enough of this'. He was a lovely chap, gentle, with a lovely soft Welsh accent.
We left that church  after a few more years, but we still kept in touch, he came to both of our young people's baptisms, and their weddings. I often met him with his bike, or walking on the canal bridge, and we would catch up on the news. Just before we went away recently,  I passed his house, and thought, 'I really should have Clive round for a meal', but now alas that cannot be. He had had some sort of middle ear problem over the last few years, but no one expected him to go so suddenly. I believe he had stroke. Our thoughts and prayers are with his brother and family.
We did not go to the crematorium, and after catching up with some friends I came home for lunch. I found myself comfort eating, so decided to go to Daughter's for a bit of company. Husband was home from Bristol quite early, so that was nice.
On Thursday I was back seeing the consultant whom I saw in January. My problems had flared up again since we came home. I had a very long wait to see him, but he said my endoscopy and scan were all ok, and he reckoned I have IBS, which, causes the other problem. He gave me yet another injection, some advice about what to do in a flare up and wants me to go back in 2 months. As I walked back through town I met Daughter, who was rushing around getting stuff, so I helped out by looking after the buggy and baby whilst she scuttled around shops.  She eventually met up with her friend, and they both went off to baby worship another friend's new baby visit a friend with a new baby. I came home, had lunch  and took myself off to bed as those injections make me feel so rough.
Yesterday we went to the big garden centre and had lunch, then bought Mum in Law's Birthday present and stocked up on plants to redo my pots for the summer. I did two pots, husband put down more bark chippings, and we finished off by giving it all a good watering after dinner.  We had rain this morning on the way to church, and we'd had some overnight. Who needs rain dances?
On Friday evening Daughter had rung to say another lady, about my age, from their church, had died. She was lovely friendly person, and I had many a long chat with her when we attended that church. However Daughter doesn't know what she died from. The last I heard she was suffering from depression. So I may be attending another funeral this week. It's no fun getting  older, I'd love to go to a wedding or two, but sadly have no more offspring! Oh well! nearly time for church. I must put the kettle on.

No comments:

Post a Comment