Thursday 21 February 2013

Progressing slowly

Well we made it to church on Sunday evening, husband felt much less dizzy. It had been raining all day, but as we arrived at church it had suddenly turned to snow. The preacher, a member of the church was quite good, but we didn't hang around after the service as it was still snowing and I was worried about slipping. We came home and I walked very gingerly to the back door. Later, after we had eaten, I phoned Mum in Law. She was due to go for her second cataract operation the next day.
I was later than husband going to bed, and was dismayed to see that it was still snowing.
On Monday husband was working from home. He cleared the back path and the front steps, but I was afraid to go out in case I slipped. I pottered around doing what I could, we had soup for lunch, then I had a short doze. I was due at the hospital physio at 4.30 pm, and we set off in plenty of time, dropping off some ironing on the way, and wondering if the road up to the hospital would be clear. it was ok, a very steep hill. The physio was very nice, added a couple of exercises,said my shoulder was tight, and that I should relax into the sling. She recommended some hydrotherapy to help loosen things up, but I don't start physio properly till the sling is off, and I was warned that then it will hurt. We also discussed what I can and can't do. I have use of my arm from elbow to wrist provided that the upper arm is close to my body
We hit the rush hour, didn't stop to pick up newspapers,and got home in time for me to change clothes. Friends from church had invited us for a meal. Our recent pastor's wife was to be there, her husband is lecturing abroad again and she is still working part time in our town. We had a very pleasant evening, a good meal, and feel we know our friends a little better. We left not long after 9, as the weather was not good and I wanted to get home to ring Mum in Law.  She had also had a meal provided. She had left a message, on our answering machine, but I rang her anyway. She seems ok, is back on 14 eye drops a day. She also still has a shoulder problem from her fall last March, and talking about getting that sorted next. I sincerely hope she doesn't need an op like mine as I don't know how she would cope. I struggle enough. The op I had last time wouldn't be too bad, but would cause problems. I didn't sleep well Monday night as I'd had a caffeinated coffee.
Tuesday, the pavements were better, and I was able to tie my walking boots on. I didn't really need them though, and had a decent walk as the pavements were all clear, but still plenty of snow around. We managed to make pancakes between us, and ate 3 each! I watched 'Call the Midwife' on iplayer in the evening, husband wasn't too keen as we'd heard it was traumatic. I was quite interested as a Christian friend of mine had a boy with spina bifida in the 1970s. I'm not sure what the treatment was in the 50s, but her boy was whisked away to Alder Hey and operated on. Sadly these days most babies with that problem are not even allowed to be born, they are disposed of in the womb.
Wednesday was quite a busy day, Daughter arrived really early to take me to the dressings clinic. We arrived quite early, and Nathaniel was kept out of mischief by being fed rice cakes. I was seen before the appointed time, and the dressings removed. No stitches, just steri strips. On the way back we called in at the sorting office as we had both missed parcel deliveries. Parking was easy there for a change. We took it in turns to go in, to save getting the youngsters out and in of the car.
The next stop was Sainsbury's, where we had lunch in their cafe  before doing the weekly shopping. We dropped my stuff off, and I put away the cold stuff, then went to Daughter's where I kept an eye on the children whilst she unpacked her stuff, then nipped upstairs for a quick tidy up.
Lydia was still fast asleep, snug in her snowsuit. Later, Daughter took me to the ironer's and we collected bed linen and a whole load of shirts, then she dropped me off at home. I was quite exhausted and fell asleep before husband came home. That night it rained and the snow was washed away.
Again C picked me up for women's hour. It was favourite hymns, sadly someone else chose mine, but I managed to find another, 'Give me a sight Oh Saviour', all in all we had a good sing. I was pretty tired again, as I am still finding it difficult to sleep in the sling. However I am now counting the days to when I can be without it. Hopefully it is 10 more days.
On Friday it was a beautiful sunny day. I noticed how grubby the sofa was, so got out the leather cleaner and gave it a one handed scrub. The sunshine showed up fingermarks on the back door and the porch door too, so I attempted to clean those. The glass cleaner left them smeary, so I finished them off with Mr Sheen. I felt quite tired after all that effort, and going for a walk. My cattarrh is very bad at the moment, not sure why, I seem to be coughing a lot. I'm trying a sea water spray, as I find it difficult to cope with mixing salt and water. It's quite hard taking cough mixture too, with my arm trussed up.
Saturday was quite unremarkable, except that we had lunch in M&S. The mild weather has continued, but colder weather is forecast, but no snow. I am grateful for that. I have had trouble trying to add photos from my HP camera, so will have to publish this without.

No comments:

Post a Comment