Sunday 23 June 2013

Bring me sunshine all the while

So, where was I up to? Ah yes the meal out. I am a bit confused as to the order in which things happened after that, much mooching round St Ives in baking sunshine, occasional sitting on the beach. As we had left all our windbreaks at home through lack of car space I bought one, with the intention of leaving it in the lean to for others to use. We had taken a sunshade brolly with us but it was too windy to use it.
At some time I strolled up the Digey to Porthmeor, and fund that the flats for the elderly had been completed, and very nice they are too.
Porthmeor

Pensioners' flats

I discovered that Pels, on the wharf, where the old Harts ice cram parlour was years ago did take away salads, they really packed the stuff in tight to a small plastic box. Also, one day I  had a crab sandwich from there. As I walked in one day, a man was walking out grumpily declaring, 'thanks, I'm never coming in 'ere again'. The chap behind the counter must have seen my startled look, and explained that the grumbler had bought a pasty, and had eaten half of it, before bringing  it back to complain it was chicken rather than steak. You would have thought that the fact it contained stuffing may have told him at first bite. He was offered a replacement, but insisted on a full refund. He added that they get perhaps 3 complaints every year.
I sympathised and left with my salad. The poor chap looked really worried when I walked back in a few minutes later, but I hastened to explain that husband had come to try one of their pasties.
We tried sunset pics another evening but there was cloud, so they were not so good. THV Patricia left the bay and there were no further interesting boats to be seen.
sunset in cloud




Part of Saturday was spent shopping for weekend food, and I also bought some wool and a pattern and needles. I started knitting but in the evenings it was difficult there wasn't much on TV, but husband tended to watch CSI, and it's hard to count knit two together, knit one slip one pass slipped stitch over, wool forward, etc whilst the TV is on, much undoing and picking up of dropped stitches.
I didn't try to knit on the beach. One day as I sat on the beach, there was a group of Japanese tourists in front of me, and they must have had a box of opened biscuits on their rug. The equivalant of the seagull bush telegraph must have been operating because suddenly, at least half a dozen seagulls swooped, pecking at the biscuits scattering them and squabbling amongst themselves. The funny bit was that one of the party was at that moment filming something, and didn't even notice the ambush till it was pointed out to him, he had just carried on filming. Then later one of the seagulls swooped on a discarded roll, further along,and the others raced after him, all scrapping over the sea.
Husband was still sleeping a lot, still coughing a lot, the walking boots went unused, often after climbing Tregenna Hill and Skidden steps we were both exhausted, and needed a rest before going on to do the next thing.
On of the days in my way back up from the beach, I took the path up round the back of the station and up past Primrose cottage. When we stayed there several years ago there were roses rambling all over, there was an arch of fuchsias, it was beautiful. As I approached the gate I could see two people working in the garden. The roses had gone so had the fuchsia arch. The rusty old steps from the outside to the first floor had gone too. Why such devastation? Someof the lovely plants in the front garden gone too. Later I looked it up online, it had been sold since last summer, for getting on for half a million, probably some banker with a bonus I suppose, but will it still be a holiday let? We'll just have to wait and see.
On the middle SaturdayI had lunch in Beachcomber, on the wharf, we went there once before on one of our Christmas trips to St Ives. This time I had a jacket potato with crab, there was a lovely side salad too
On the Saturday evening we ate out again. This time we walked down to the wharf and bought fish and chips, fishcake for me, and then carried them up to the Island, going around the side to find a bench. There are dozens of memorial benches in St Ives, paid for by families of loved ones who loved St Ives,and probably went there every year. We ate our fish and chips in peace, the seagulls were elsewhere. The sun wasn't low enough for pictures, and I hadn't got my camera anyway.
Sunday morning we made it to Zion, there was a visiting speaker. Apparently he was down there on holiday and has been asked to preach,so wasn't dressed up for the occasion. The pastor was off the next day home to America for a 3 week visit to family, so I suppose it saved him a job. We discovered that the speaker knew people that we knew, small world when you are a Christian. Sad to say we didn't make it to the evening service we were both incredibly tired. I don't think we went out at all after lunch. We did have a cream tea though later. At first I had slept really well in the cottage, but I had one night when I had really bad night, so was back to square one.
Sadly, that Sunday was the last of the mini heatwave and the weather became more variable.


No comments:

Post a Comment