Thursday 15 August 2013

Keeping a watch on prices

Well, I'm still a fortnight behind, so had better press on. A short while ago, my Rotary watch stopped. I had been anticipating this as I had been getting signs that the battery was running down. I had taken it in to a town centre chain jeweller where I often get new batteries, but after leaving it there for 20 minutes went back to be told it wasn't the battery, they had tried anew one and it still didn't work. I would need to get it serviced which would cost about £80. Having found watch straps much cheaper online, I decided to check the internet.
Roatary would do a service, much cheaper but I also found somewhere in Tring, which did Rotary servicing, so on Monday29th, we decided to go there after lunch. We found the place fairly easily, I had rung in the morning, and been quoted £42.50, quite a difference. I explained the situation, and the symptoms, and the lady said, 'Would you mind if we just checked the battery, just give me 5 minutes'.  I was very pleased when she came back and said it was the battery, and was just a few pounds. She said they jeweller's assistant may have put the battery in upside down! We thanked her, and decided to go off for a walk around Tring town centre, it was a showery day, so we didn't mind being in and out of shops. There are still some old fashioned hardware shops there,and they don't seem to mind browsers, and we bought a couple of small items. During one particularly heavy shower, we went into a charity shop. Almost immediately I spotted a children's book high on a shelf and the title rang a bell. I got it down and opened it, and yes, it was my much mourned Treasury, which at sometime been thrown away, probably when we moved from Birmingham to North Wales. I recognised some of the stories straight away, so of course I had to have it. Despite its age it is in quite good condition (a bit like me), and I have enjoyed re-reading the non PC stories from my childhood.

Later we called in to see Daughter, who has been feeling a bit low lately. I can well remember the days when I had a lively toddler, and another on the go and into everything. Daughter was glad to see us, and we played with the children for a while. Nathaniel chatters away, I can't always understand him, but I can remember a friend once saying to me, 'You will them to talk, then occasionally you just wish they would shut up.'
Lydia has been concentrating so much on her mobility, she can now climb stairs, that she has only just bothered to say 'Dadada' and 'bababa'. Previously if we tried to prompt her we would just get a huge gummy grin. Now however there seems to be a tooth coming, she has also learned to wave.
On the Tuesday I rang my insurance company, and complained about the difference in quotes. I was told they could honour the quote I got on the comparison website, so please, if you have been with a company for a while, get a comparison check when you get your renewal documents. It could save you a couple of hundred pounds. I popped up to see Daughter again, it was a better day.
Butter wouldn't melt

They are so alike

stairs here I come

Wednesday I went to weightwatchers, hadn't been for weeks, but I'd only gained half a pound. I have been struggling lately, as I'm still not getting enough sleep, and when my energy dips I hit the carbs. Not good I know. I had to leave early to take my car in Fords had rung me about the MOT,and I told them that I was dissatisfied with them, as they had put some things as advisories, and when I got them checked at Discount tyres, was told they didn't need doing. So  I took it to the local MOT centre, and walked home from there. I took the Focus to Sainsbury's, and whilst there got a call to say one of those jobs did need doing. Confused, I said ok go ahead. Husband had gone out for a walk, and he appeared at the checkout just as I was paying, he had hoped to arrive in time to help me pack, he had seen the car on the car park.
After lunch I drove to the wedding photographer's in Harpenden, then to Daughter's as one of the photo's was for her. Whilst there I got a call to say my car was ready. The job hadn't needed doing, the part hadn't quite been fitted straight, so they had straightened it out a bit. Problem was I now had 2 cars, so tried to persuade husband to come up and collect his, he did set off walking for a bit then it rained so I had to collect him, then he came in for a while to Daughter's, then we both set off in our our respective cars for home.
Thursday was quiet, I caught up on my blog, then went into town to buy a card and a box of chocolates for a birthday.
I had been invited to a Birthday breakfast for J, by the lady who cares for her. J has dreadful memory problems, and Friday morning I managed to find her flat. I didn't know most people there, and by the time I had reminded J who I was she had probably forgotten again. She had 5 children, one is in New Zealand, one in France, I'm not sure where M is, her son is fairly local,and the youngest one sadly died. We had nice time chatting then eating, then played pass the parcel. J won the game, then wanted to know why she had got the present,and when told asked if we were still playing. I took my leave, as she was being taken out for lunch. I thanked her carer who does an amazing unpaid job.  J is on the waiting list for sheltered accommodation but I think she needs more of a care home, as she forgets to eat.
Birthday girl




Later that day as we ate our mackerel.husband felt acutely unwell, and was unable to continue. I guess that's mackerel off the menu for a while.
Saturday  I went shopping on my own walking into town husband still felt ropey. I had bought rather a large leg of lamb which was reduced, so had invited the family for Sunday Lunch, the first time since my operation that I have cooked for more than just the 2 of us. The local bus company have totally messed up- the buses. rearranged the timetable, so not as many buses go up our hill, but  managed to find one that did. reading the timetable there are about 2 that go the other way to one that goes our way, it's totally mind boggling.
Nat enjoys relaxing  in the garden

Lydia on the go as always

No comments:

Post a Comment