Wednesday 3 September 2014

Another day out

Well, the week after our visit to Cheshire, things did not really go according to plan.  The family, one by one, were smitten with a tummy bug. We were not keen to look after them, so daughter and husband juggled their days off, and all managed to survive. For us the week seemed longer than usual. We pottered in the garden tidying, we walked to places, and I got a second dress cut out and completed most of the sewing. I still haven't finished the first dress, but it does need some adjustment, and the second sleeve sewn in. I'm still struggling to lose the holiday weight gain, so it doesn't quite fit as it should.
The second dress I used a 'perfect fit' type pattern, the top actually has different pieces to cut according to bra size. I worked out how to do a basting stitch on the machine, so I put it together and checked the fit before I sewed it. However I had a bit off difficulty with the zip, so have to redo that at some stage.
On the Sunday we had a visit from a retired pastor, who we have known for a few years, he preached 2 very good sermons on revival.
I think it was that week that we heard my dear friend C had been taken into hospital seriously ill, with no visitors except family allowed. I duly set about notifying friends who didn't know, and asked for prayer for her.
The Monday was spent in the usual way, walking to our local Sainsbo's and doing a bit of shopping, then trying to catch up on other jobs, I cleared off the sideboard and polished it, and tried to find homes for the bits that have accumulated there. Since I have been sewing again, it has rather got out of hand, cotton reels, scissors, pins etc, and material scraps, I still haven't solved the sewing box problem, the new one is too small to take everything, so I haven't yet got rid of the old one.
On the Tuesday, we walked down to get the paper together, and decided to come the long route back along the canal bank. The local council had nurseries there, but they have been taken over by a group which provides employment for people with learning disabilities. My ex colleague's son who has Down's works for them. They were advertising  home grown veg, and a coffee shop, so we wandered along there, and looked around the shop,and had a coffee. Husband was delighted to find an orange potentilla to add to his collection. There is now a gate onto the canal bank, so it was a slightly shorter route home.
Wednesday was my usual trolley dash round the supermarket, then to Daughter's, a wait for Lydia to wake from her nap, then bringing them home here giving them lunch. Afterwards they played indoors and made a fair old mess. The weather had gone a lot colder and much more unpredictable, so outdoor time was far more limited. I had started wearing trousers for the first time in weeks.
On the Thursday we brought them here for a short while, whilst I gathered stuff together for a trip out. I decided on an insulated bag with ice packs for the lunch, Everything else went into a pack. Eventually we set off for Bekonscot, the oldest model village in the world.  We had trouble parking at first, but drove around the block, and found the car park full sign had been removed. It wasn't terribly expensive to get in, we were not charged for Lydia. It was a tad chilly, so we headed for one of the picnic shelters, this one resembled a greenhouse, but there were brick walls to about waist height. During lunch Husband had to make a quick dash for the toilets with Nathaniel, but soon lunch was over and we were heading round the village. Lydia was in my lightweight buggy but didn't seem over happy. Nathaniel was very excited about all the trains which criss cross the area. Eventually we reached the large picnic area, with a fairly new cafe, and an ice cream shop. We ate our ice creams without incident, I got 2 coffees from the cafe, as we fancied a hot drink. Husband went off to the gents' and then I realised why Nat's feet looked odd, he had his sandals on the wrong feet. I put them right, then he sneakily  let Lydia out of the buggy, and I had to dive off after her, the buggy which had my pack on the handle,  promptly toppled over.
I scolded Nat, replaced Lydia in the buggy, where she sat kicking out, until my coffee toppled over and drenched my trousers and cardigan, she also yelled because a tiny drop of coffee  had landed on her. Husband arrived back amidst the chaos, and took Nathaniel into the play area. I confined Lydia to the small slide, as there were lots of big children hurtling around, she was distinctly unimpressed, so I took her to where the small rides were and paid for her to sit in a Bob the builder truck which moved up and down.
Eventually, husband had had enough of trying to catch up with Nat, so we moved on, and I helped Nat with a game which involved squirting water at various things. Grandad said Lydia could walk, but we had taken a wrong turning, and as we found ourselves on the path going out, we had to come back in, and start again, but Lydia didn't mind as she had a better view. Nat also enjoyed looking at the trains again. we found the right path and continued round the bits we had missed. There was a small train ride near the entrance which only cost £1, so we parked the buggy, sat astride the seats, holding on the the children and off we went. After the ride, just as we went into the gift shop it began to pour with rain, suddenly the gift shop was full off people sheltering from the rain. As it is in an old railway carriage, there wasn't much room to move. We bought the children something small each,and by the time we left it was hardly raining at all. We asked Nat if he needed the toilet, he said 'No', so we crossed back to the car park.






Just as Grandad was about to strap him in the car, he changed his mind, so I had a quick dash to the nearby supermarket, with him, fortunately the toilets were just inside in the entrance, so we didn't have to buy. There were more showers on the way home. I popped into our house for something, then we took them back home.
On the Friday, we had a slow start but late in the afternoon we went over to  Watford for the nearest Toys r us, a s we had 2 important Birthdays coming up.
On the Saturday, I woke up feeling quite strange. I felt bloated and nauseous. wasn't sure I could get to town, but I knew we had enough fruit and veg to cover the weekend. I wasn't sure what was wrong, was it the bean salad I had eaten, or was it something I had picked up? I managed a small piece of toast for breakfast. Later I felt hot and very drowsy, husband went off to town to get some things, I slept on the sofa. In fact I dozed on and off for most of the day. I managed another bit of toast at lunchtime, then in the evening husband decided to cook  a ready meal he had in the freezer, so he closed the kitchen door, so I wouldn't get the smell. Later I managed a third piece of toast,and a few mouthfuls of a
cup a soup. I didn't think that I would sleep well, but did, feeling a bit wobbly when I got up on the Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment