Friday 13 February 2015

The last days of January

Well last week wasn't terribly exciting, more coughing, husband getting worse, and both of us so hoarse it was sometimes hard for each to try and tell what the other was saying. I decided I would cut my carb intake right down, to see if I could lose a couple of pounds. I was eating plenty, with the only carb being potato in the evening meal.
I began to lose weight, but the downside seemed to be that I wasn't sleeping as well, this meant that I probably wasn't on top form when we had the children to look after. We were fortunate that Lydia took a nap after lunch, in fact she slept a long time, so I had a little doze to catch up. Husband fetched Nathaniel from school and walked him home, and by the time Lydia woke up it was time to take her home.
Doll's  house we picked up in a charity shop for a fiver


Wednesday night was another poor night for me, and on Thursday I have to confess to being in 'Grumpy Granny' mode. I took Lydia out in the buggy, and in Sainsbo's we met our old neighbours, whom we haven't seen since before Christmas, so it was catch up time. They have been busy clearing the wife's father's house as he died in December, but he was about 98, and quite forgetful,and had been in hospital. We talked for so long that Lydia fell asleep. She woke up as I brought the buggy indoors, but wasn't very awake, so husband took her up to the cot,and she continued her nap there.
I managed a few minutes nap, Lydia had a very late lunch,and was still eating when her brother came home. I gave him a snack and offered him a drink, but he refused. Later as they played, things were getting a bit fraught, she wanted his trains and track which he was playing with, and there was bit of squabbling going on. Sadly things deteriorated, and by the time we took them home, Nathaniel was in complete 'no cooperation' mode and I was 'completely grumpy granny'.
When we got to their home he asked me for a drink, as I bent down, I thought his breath was a little strong, and had a 'lightbulb' moment. I remembered a conversation with another Mum, many years ago  outside the school gates, when she blamed her child's grumpiness on dehydration. As soon as Nathaniel had drunk his requested hot chocolate, he was like a different child.
So if any parents are reading this, perhaps it may enlighten you as to why your own child's behaviour sometimes deteriorates. When I offered him a drink at my home I should have made him one, and not given him the opportunity to refuse.
My grumpiness wasn't dehydration, rather lack of sleep, and being fed up with my cold. I'm trying hard to remedy it, I try to get exercise every day if possible, but we haven't been out on the bikes
recently, I fear that the cold air might be too much for my chest, there has been an arctic wind, but not too much snow. Only a light sprinkling, a couple of times. I'm back on carb twice a day, I did lose a couple of pounds, so it was probably worth it. We drove into town on Saturday, we had been going to walk, but there was heavy rain, which turned into sleet. We were not in town for long, just long enough to get fresh fruit and veg, and stock up on cheeses in M&S. We discovered they still had some of a lovely cheese bake which we'd bought before Christmas, and enjoyed a couple of weeks ago with crusty bread, on a Sunday evening, so couldn't resist buying more.
I emptied my wardrobe last week, and husband helped move it, so I could reach some of the wallpaper to peel off. I'm getting there by degrees, it's a good thing that he didn't see me perched on top of a chest of drawers, scraper in hand, and a glint of determination in my eyes.
Now January is over at last, and we can look forward to the evenings beginning to get a little lighter, I'm afraid I'm not a winter person, but I do love Spring.


This was probably our worst snowfall,despite all the forecasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment