Sunday 11 July 2010

Twas on a Monday morning, (well afternoon actually), the gas man came to call...apologies to Flanders and Swann

This has been a bit of a mixed week, but not for weather, it has been hot, hot and hot again.  On Monday I promised that I would go to our daughter's house whilst someone came and connected their donated gas cooker.
He said he would be there after 2, but I arrived before 2 and he was waiting in his van. Between us we located the kitchen and cooker, and he set about his job. Before he started he warned me that the previous cooker there had been fitted wrongly and  he would have to alter the piping as it was in the wrong position. I found a chair and sat in the living room reading the newspaper until he had finished.
I got my cheque book out, and he announced that he wanted to be paid in cash. I tried to protest, but he all but insisted I went to the local cash machine, I was a bit flustered by this, so did as I was told I wish I had stood my ground. It makes me  cross when tradesmen do this, as you can bet that they will  not be paying tax on that job. So there is another 'gas safe' chap I will not be using. The point is  we have no choice in paying taxes, but some self employed people think it is their legal right to avoid tax. Goodness knows what will happen if cheques are done away with altogether
I had a good look around the house, as invited by daughter, and it is very nice,  and should scrub up well where needed, ( mainly shelving) but the garden is a rather overgrown.  It is also twice the length of ours. Husband could help if he had more time. Maybe she should invite friends for a gardening party.
On Tuesday I went to Watford to look for something in M&S, no joy, but had a peek at the baby stuff in John Lewis too. I then decided to go to the big garden centre near St Albans to try and replace plants lost whilst we were away. There were no Winston Churchill fuchsias, but I bought 2 more hardy ones, a new Gardenia, as mine had shrivelled. One of the 'water bubbles' had compost in the end and the water could not get through. I also bought Busy Lizzies, as my pansy pot had died off.
I then tried the big M&S by the Savacentre, but drew a blank there. I did however have a welcome coffee in their cafe.
Wednesday was Sainsbury day and nothing special. on Thursday our ladies meeting was at the home of a lady who lines in a nearby town. She has us there every year. we start with homemade soup, the we have our  own sandwich or salad which we have brought. We then have home made yoghurt, or ice cream, followed by cakes that she has specially made for us. After a bible reading and short talk and prayer, we take our coffee or tea into her garden and sit and chat. I followed this pleasant time with a visit to the hairdresser for a much needed trim. This weather I feel like becoming as skinhead!
Friday was spent doing boring things such as shopping, by the time I got out it was too hot to walk and carry shopping, so took the car. I spent part of the morning  picking fruit, and in the afternoon made a summer pudding.
Yesterday I popped out for the papers, it wasn't too hot walking as there was a breeze. I then made a big plate of salmon sandwiches, and after a lunch of jacket potatoes we set off for our church anniversary. There were 2 meetings, at 3 and 6 pm with tea in between. We had a good speaker, but a lot of our normal congregation had other commitments, and for once there were not many visitors from other churches. There was some summer pudding left over, so that was today's pudding sorted. The evening meeting was on the life of John Laing, the builder, who was a fine Christian.
There was a very good congregation this morning, so that made up for it , as the same chap was preaching, and he had his family there, delightful little children.
It won't come as much of a surprise to most of you that I haven't been sleeping well in the heat. Yesterday I stripped the bed and just put on 2 old fashioned stripey cotton sheets. that made it a lot cooler. Well I must make tracks I ought to go for a walk. looking at the thermometer it is hotter in here than outside. Time to switch on the fan methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment