Sunday 18 September 2011

Birthday, bedding, bag blunder, bedding plants and babyminding

I find it hard to believe that we are past the middle of September, only 12 days to go till October, where do the weeks go? On Monday I looked at the calendar and realised that I had missed a Birthday again. One of my neighbours had twins five years ago, at the time we were probably the only family in our group of 12 houses who actually spoke to C, so different from years ago, around the time my Daughter was born we knew practically everyone who lived here. However I digress, C has twins and an older girl, she had a very bad episode of sudden mental illness about 12 months after the twins were born, and I helped out where I could, which was not very much. I have tried to remember the twins' Birthday every year, unfortunately  C's relationship with the children's father did not last, and she has to work very hard to keep a roof over their heads. Poor lady has had a problem with the extension which the previous owners built, it was coming away from the house.
Anyway I walked into town to buy some books for presents, and cards, and called round after the family came home from school. The twins are now there full time, and all three children are very lively. I commiserated over the work she has had to have done, and hoped she would soon be able to get the painting done. She is not even sure that a full structural survey would have picked up the problem. We had a cuppa, and I left her to her hectic family.
On Tuesday, I decided to extend my walk, and wandered into Dunelm Mill, just for a look. Whilst there I remembered some Pyrex dishes I had broken, and replaced those and decided to treat myself to a new iron, as mine was very battered, and had an unknown black substance on the soleplate. I fully intended to do my ironing in the afternoon, but Daughter rang and asked if I would like to go to the big garden centre, as we hadn't seen much of each other except at 'handover' time, so I agreed and she picked me up.She had promised me a coffee, so we chatted for a while in the cafe, whilst Nathaniel guzzled a fruit juice. He manages a 'sports' cap very well.
Then we took a trolley and she picked up the plants from her list. I was quite restrained and just bought 2 crackle border lights to replace one I had broken and another which hadn't worked this summer. They have a marquee, with a beautiful display of  dahlias, so we went in there. We also went in the hot house where they keep the houseplants, and I repeated the mantra, 'I have enough orchids, I have no room for any more'. I must admit I dream of one day having a house with a conservatory, so that I could indulge, but unless we move to a cheaper area, it remains a dream.
On Wednesday I was saddened to learn that I had not lost any weight this week. The leader asked what I had done differently, and I said 'probably eaten less'. I hope that the scales tell a different story next week. I dashed off to do the Sainsbury's run, unloaded the shopping and left the bags in the garden whilst I opened up. I unpacked most of the shopping, grabbed a quick lunch, then dashed off to Parent and Toddler's as I'd had swapped duties with a lady who couldn't be there. On the way home I called in at Daughter's, she had been unable to make it to the group as N keeps changing his nap time. I think it was after husband got home, that I found I had left a bag of shopping on the patio, providentially  it was still all there.
I had bought a copy of POTC 4, just out of curiosity, so we watched that. I do get irritated at the mild swear words though. It was quite dark in some places, and shows just how cruel pirates could be. We were both tired and decided to leave the rest for another night.
Thursday I was up early, and arrived in good time to collect my charge. I brought him to my home, and we went out to get the papers, and some odds and ends. I was due for physio, so had to bundle him into the car, and I took the buggy to keep him in whilst I was treated. Apparently I have very tight back muscles which affect my posture, so I was laid face down so she could work on my back. After a few minutes N objected, so an assistant came to take him for a walk. She took him to see the hydro pool.  I was taped, as a reminder to keep my shoulder in a certain position, then N came back and we came home. He fell asleep in the car on the way home. but woke up when we got here
I gave him lunch,  then set off in the car, with the buggy,  to take him for his jab. I got there nice and early, the grumpy receptionist was polite this week, and I was sent back into the lift up to the second floor. I was the first there and H came to collect us, then broke the news that I should have a letter of consent. She has known me for over 30 years, but that makes no difference. She felt sorry for me, and fitted me in for a general appointment next Thursday morning.
Back down in the lift into the car and off to Women's hour where they had just started. I sat at the back with a young lady who has an almost 2 year old, and the 2 boys played with the box of toys that this lady had thoughtfully collected from the cupboard. Grandson got bored, and I stopped him from pushing along one of the children's chairs I was using to keep him in check, Undeterred he crawled under the chair in front of me turned and out through the next, and made off for the open door. Despite spending time chasing after him, I managed to hear most of the talk which was about 3 hymn writes named Frances. When we had our cuppa, I gave N his approved snack, I don't think he saw the biscuits, and he and the other boy headed off for the main hall, where they crawled, toddled, chuckled and played hide and seek. Our oldest member, 95 was so delighted to see them she declared she wanted to sit and watch them.
 Afterwards  we  went to Daughter's where he had a nap. He awoke full of beans, and played till Mummy came home. Grandad also called in on his way home, so N had someone to play with. I rustled up some minced beef and veg, then we watched the rest of the film.
On Friday I awoke still feeling very tired,  I may not have slept too well because of the taping . I arrived on time at Daughter's and she was a bit concerned that he appeared to cry and cling just before she went out. However, as I picked him up to say Bye bye, he broke into an enormous grin. I took him home, and got the buggy out, we went to the paper shop, then I decide to walk the long way home back, which takes me along the canal bank. I chatted away to him about the things we saw, dogs, ducks moorhens and geese.I glanced at my watch, it was only 9.15! Many days I haven;t even left the house by then. I managed to get a load of washing in, bedclothes,  and he pottered about the kitchen whilst I tried to tidy up. I suddenly heard beeping, and realised he had been pressing buttons on the washing machine. He had managed to hit one of the few that still work during the cycle, and it was the fast forward, time save button, so the load was done quicker than it should have been. I decided to try and see if the ladies tap class was there, and he fell asleep in the car again.I woke him up and took him into the hall.  He was quite bemused, much admired, but refused to smile or flirt, and at one point he toddled off to the door.
I promised to visit someone, not sure how child proof her pristine house is, then took him home. This time he didn't stir much when I got him out of the car, and went quite uncomplainingly into the travel cot. As he slept I prepared his lunch and left it to cool. I was reading the paper and suddenly realised he was crying, so went up to fetch him. Oh dear perhaps we need a baby alarm. After lunch we set off  for Berkhamsted for the baby supply shop to collect the knob which had fallen off the seat when I picked it up. The chap fitted the knob, and declared that the seat had been very well fitted, give husband a pat on the back! I called at home for some teabags and the Telegraph, then took his nibs home to Daughter's, hopefully for another nap. However he refused to go down, and cried and cried. So I had to get him up again, he played till teatime, then again till Mummy came home. She was a bit late, as she had been discussing the planned reorganisation at work, husband forgot to call in, and when I got home I felt really tired. I made fish pie and then we watched some,extras from the film we had seen, disappointingly short. I was dozing on the sofa, and was glad when it was bedtime.
Yesterday I had to remove the taping. it had rolled up in parts with all the lifting I had been doing and was very uncomfortable.We went to the big garden centre, had lunch, and then husband bought a few lavender plants to 'fill  in' at the front I also bought a ready made up Autumn/Winter pot to swap with one of my pots which looked a bit tired. I will have to redo the pots and troughs soon ready for winter. I will go to the other garden centre for that as I have some vouchers. Husband also admired the dahlias, which we realised were entitled 2012 Olympics. We went into St Albans for market shopping, but it was so late that most stalls didn't have much left, so  I got my fruit and veg in Marks along with a few other items. I made a casserole, rang my sister, and spent time with the Telegraph weekend Gk crossword, relaxing after my busy week.
Our Pastor is back from his holiday, we had a very good sermon on Abraham, and sang 'How firm a foundation;' for the third week running! The first time was at Bexhill then last week with a different speaker. Husband doesn't mind it's one of his favourites, we had it at our wedding. Well it's nearly time for church, will try and upload some pics later. ps., I did fit the ironing in somewhere, can't remember when! pps, we are still killing moths, have no idea where they are pupating, but at least they are not still laying eggs.

Some of the dahlia exhibition

this one represents archery


Boxing

Snow sports

My one and only dahlia, that I forgot to lift last winter
husband's vine has produced grapes this year for the first time, however I don't think it has been hot enough to ripen them

No comments:

Post a Comment