Friday 13 January 2012

Flotsam and Jetsam

I'm sorry, I seem to have got a bit behind here somewhere. The layout of my blog has changed, perhaps I clicked the wrong button, however, here is a summary of what has been happening. Bank Holiday Monday husband and I walked into town to deposit our Christmas money in the hole in the wall.We did a bit of.shopping, as with being away so much, we didn't have much food in. We waited for about 15 minutes for a bus back up the hill, and husband managed to connect to something on his phone which told him 'No more buses from this stop today' Great, it was supposed to be a Sunday service, so he hitched up the shopping bags and we walked up the hill.
Tuesday he was back to work and I was rubbish. I couldn't get started or motivated, the general lack of sleep over Christmas was catching up on me, but I did manage to pull myself together and did a huge pile of ironing. I was shocked to get a huge electricity bill, (excuse the unintended pun) and vowed that the tumble dryer only goes on once a week, back to drying clothes on airers in the spare room, difficult when guests are here.
We had the high winds last week but fortunately our fences stayed up. At Weight watchers I learned I had put on half a pound over Christmas and the New Year, but with my tiredness I am struggling to stay motivated. I had Nathaniel on the Thursday, and had to take him for an appointment to check on his hernia. I set off in plenty of time, but managed to misread a sign, and ended up going the wrong way round a one way system. When I reached the hospital there were no spaces on the main car park or the overflow. Conscious that the time was ebbing away, I pulled out onto the road, and at that moment someone pulled out of a space on what appeared to be a layby type parking area. I strained to see the sign on the wall, but all it said was 'no fly tipping' and as I had no flies to tip.... I bundled Nat into the buggy and set off to trek across the hospital site in search of outpatients. I made it just on time, but the receptionist was unfazed, as they all obviously realise what a huge problem they have with one hospital covering such a huge area.
One wonders if the Labour vote will ever recover in our town after the massacre on our hospital services. Nat was examined twice, once by a student and once by a consultant or registrar. He was a bit subdued, obviously it was all very strange to him, having his navel prodded and poked by strangers. After a promise to check him again in a year, both left the room, and I distinctly heard him say 'Gone'
He was unwell when I collected him on Friday, had been sick. he didn't eat much all day. I wrapped him up warm to go out and he slept in the buggy, then in the afternoon, when I was desperate for a doze, he asked to be picked up, and put his head on my shoulder, so we dozed together for a while. I'm still having trouble sleeping, had some late nights, why go to bed when you can't sleep? But am now trying to get earlier nights. I've had something on  my mind, maybe that didn't help.
On Saturday I slept till very late o'clock and we were chasing our tails all day. Got to town late, so decided on lunch in town. 'Our' veg market stall had sold out of some things, so we had to go to M&S for Bananas  and Cauliflower. We got the bus back up, then I realised I hadn't got potatoes. As I had mislaid my Aero Chamber, and was badly in need of a new one, I called in at the late chemist to buy one, on my way to Sainsbury's to collect potatoes.Of course the next day I found the one I had mislaid. I also stripped the Christmas tree on Saturday evening. Sunday was good being back in our usual church with our usual minister, and he was on form as usual.
On Monday, I was still trying to find the receipt for the guest bed which has broken after only 3and a half years. Then I started a horrible job, removing some floor levelling compound from under the cooker. we had some broken tiles and a few years ago I was advised to use floor levelling compound, which actually raised up the floor under the cooker. I have started looking for a new cooker, but am limited by size of gap in kitchen units. Internet research led to me using a hand held steamer, but I have found a wallpaper steamer does a better job in removing the compound.
Daughter rang to say the Doctor thought Nathaniel might have had tonsilitis, but was getting better. She called in on Tuesday to collect his little gift from toddler group. I've had 3 phone calls this week, one from the wife of the pastor who married us explaining why she hadn't sent a card or phoned me, another from an ex work colleague to whom I haven't spoken for 30 years, explaining the lack of a card from her. She had collapsed before Christmas, and now has a pacemaker. The third was to tell me that my half sister in Cheshire had another fall, broke her hip, and sadly died on Wednesday in the early hours. The funeral is next week, I would like to go, but will have to see. Edna would have been 92 next month. She was grown up and in the WRAF when I was born!
No Weight loss for me this week sadly, I thought I had been rather good, perhaps it's the lack of sleep.
I had Nathaniel yesterday and today, he is now capable of getting in and out of the rocking 'horse' although sometimes he gets stuck  I made it to John Lewis in Watford today, it seems I may be able to get something done about the broken bed without the receipt. Nathaniel slept all round Watford. I was just about able to keep my eyes open this afternoon to watch him playing.  He is very helpful. I decided to wash some stuff in the bath  and as I threw the stuff in, he threw in the shower squeegie, bath cleaning mitt, and travel soap box. Oh well I suppose it's better than his other trick of taking the clean wet stuff out of the washing basket and feeding it back into the machine! Happy days! I would have posted a pic of him 'reading' a Christmas newsletter, but he grabbed the camera and managed to delete it. Hey ho!
Husband came home feeling unwell, refused dinner ( he must be ill!) and took himself off  upstairs. I must go and check if he needs anything I hate to boast, but I have a yellow crocus out in the back garden. Hmm! here come the frosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment