Sunday 29 January 2012

Sneezing, sticking and stickiness

Last week now seems to be a bit of a blur. The bed inspector called at daughter's where the bed is at present, photographed the bed, claimed it was unusual to see one break, and said I would hear from J L in the next 10 days. I went out to get some filler and glue, and started the task of putting filler down. Not such a difficult job as before, but still quite messy. I would disagree with their label which says 'no sanding required'.  I managed to get it hardened enough to stick down a couple of tiles. On Tuesday when I was out I bought a brush, as I thought it might be easier to spread the glue on the tiles, and yes it was. I managed to do a whole pile of ironing too, but have resorted to the tumble dryer as I was running out of space on airers.
At Weightwatchers, whilst I thought I had done well,  in fact I had regained half a pound.. I did see Daughter briefly, and had a cuddle from Grandson, before I went off to Sainsbury's. N was a bit quiet as he and Daughter both have another cold. I rushed back home form Sainsbury's and found a message on the answering machine which stated mum in Law had sent a parcel, then went into the hall to discover  a card to say they had tried to deliver the 'signed for' special delivery parcel. I warmed some soup, and then off to Parent and toddlers forgetting to take the card for me to collect the parcel.
It was very exciting at Parent and toddler's, H had given birth to her twins on 28th December, about a month earlier than the planned C section She still had a section, but had to wait 14 hours for what was supposed to be an emergency section. The girls were a good weight, and once they got to 5lb she was allowed to bring them home. She turned up with one single buggy, at the moment they both fit in! She seems to be coping quite well, has 2 older children, but is absolutely radiant. She even got 5 hours sleep! I held one of them for a while, and it was like holding a doll. I've never held such a small baby before, my family don't have anything less than 7lb 11,and some are 9-10 lb. Afterwards, I collected the card and went to claim the parcel. Despite my producing ID they would not let me have it because Mum in Law being old fashioned had addressed it to Mrs M (husbands initial) and mine is P. I was quite fed up, but she did say they could re deliver it. The point is that they will give it to any old body who is in at the time, as long as they sign for it.
Husband and I have been watching some of the Michael Portillo train journeys on iplayer, and are thoroughly enjoying them. We also watched Call The Midwife again, although sometimes husband had his back to the screen , 'Just' looking at something on the computer, usually during the labour scenes.
 I found our first snowdrops this week, and last week a crocus or two.


 On Thursday I called to collect Nathaniel, and Daughter was in a flap. She had lost her car keys, but what concerned me more that she was coughing and sneezing, and really seemed most unwell. I got Nathaniel dressed, and then advised her to stay at home and call in sick. Really she was in no fit state for work, so she stayed at home with Nat and had a bit of a doze when he napped. I waited in all morning, then after lunch rang the post Office and got an answering machine. So I went back into town, taking my marriage certificate, to try and collect the parcel but was told 'it is being delivered tomorrow, and is locked up' maybe I did get the day wrong. I took an Argos catalogue from a young man who was handing them out in the almost deserted town centre. I decided I would buy a booster seat, so I don't have to lift N in and out of the high chair. I couldn't find large table mat for him however, and I will probably need some material to cover the chair seat. Then I collected more filler as most was used, and it will come in useful for another job on my list.
On Friday Daughter dropped N off, so that I would be at home for the postie. He didn't come very early, but then infuriated me by telling me I didn't need to sign for the parcel. I insisted! N and I went for walk with N in the buggy, but he didn't fall asleep, and when we got home he was ready for lunch. He soon got the hang of going to the chair with the booster seat instead of trying to unfold the high chair. He ate a good lunch, then I had to put him in the cot as I needed to get the car out to be able to take him home later When I came back in he was fast asleep, but woke up crying. I think he had a blocked nose. He was soon asking for a cuddle, so I was quite happy, as on Thursday I had been noticing the first signs of a cold, and although I used Vick's first defence I don't seem to have stopped it.
As I was  getting ready to put him in the car, I saw him waving at someone. Husband was home early, so he helped me get Nat in the car,then came with me to Daughter's as he hasn't seen much of them for a while. We waited for Daughter and she chatted about her day and N had a good old run around and seemed a little better, must be that dose of Calpol I gave him.
Friday night I was adding a dash of lemon squash to my hot blackcurrant, but as I shook the bottle the top shot off, and I ended up mopping the kitchen floor at 11.30 pm.  Next day I kept on finding sticky patches everywhere, on the working surface the cooker and a few utensils. I did sleep better, but felt really unwell as the day went on on Saturday, so we took the car into town to do the shopping, and came home and had the old Jewish standby, chicken soup.
Last night I hardly slept at first, alternately coughing and choking. This morning I didn't go to church, I dozed from getting up till nearly 9.am. when husband went out I downloaded an old sermon of our pastor's from sermon audio.I will probably listen to another soon. we haven't had snow yet, just  hard frosts.
Frosted terrace

Frosted pot
Still if it did snow now at least winter wouldn't last too long. I must download that sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment