Wednesday 15 August 2012

The Visitors

Well I am really late writing my blog, truth is I haven't been too well. I picked up a bug from husband. I couldn't stay awake at times, had a bad sore throat and now have a cough.
At the beginning of last week I was busy sorting stuff out after the bed move, I also painted the new bit of skirting board, and the old bit that was hidden for years by the boarding around the old central heating chimney. I was thankful for quick drying paint. I also put the guest bed together, made it up and put out towels for the expected visitors.
I relocated the travel cot, managing to squeeze it into Son's old bedroom. One good thing is that husband has said, 'We must go through all those storage boxes and see what can be thrown away or sent to charity shops'. This is what I have been saying to him for a long time. He even said he might get rid of some books, pass the smelling salts please! I am debating am I likely to read those Dickens tomes Little Dorritt  and Bleak House again? Can I make myself put them in the charity shop bag? Some of my childhood books I will not part with, mostly old Sunday School prizes, and a book awarded to me as a prize by the Open air Mission beach mission, for quoting a text for every letter of the alphabet.  I was 12, and didn't have long to learn them, fortunately it was  only part verses, such as 'all we like sheep have gone astray, blessed are the pure in heart, come unto me all ye that labour' and so on. Not sure I could remember them all. My Dad, who was very religious helped me on that . After I was converted I re read that book, and read it with new eyes.
At Weight watchers I was down again, still haven't lost the holiday weight, but slowly getting there.I seemed to spend a fortune at Sainsbury's, water softener cartridges were on my list, they are expensive, but were half price. When I was putting stuff away later, I discovered that we still had some, husband had moved them from their usual place. Oh well, they may not stay half price, so just as well I got them. I also collected some ironing which I had taken up to the ironers, as I'd been too busy sorting things out to do it.
 Our Son and his wife, and Tom the dog arrived at around 10 pm. They had tickets for the athletics heats at the Olympics. I was surprised at Son's keenness, this is the lad whose proud boast was that he never took part in a school sports day at Secondary School! His wife was quite keen to go and as he said it's a once in a lifetime experience. They didn't stay up too late and settled the dog, who refused to lie down till I switched the light off.
Husband had taken himself off to bed at about 9pm on Tuesday, having fallen asleep in a chair. He was complaining of a sore throat and feeling hot. He was still in bed at 9 am, but complained that he hadn't slept all night. So he had been at home all of Wednesday too. He didn't feel up to going in on Thursday, I awoke with a start at 6 am wondering if the young people wanted a lift to the station, but Son had gone to fetch the car. Tom, the dog, was in the living room, so I made a fuss of him, then made some tea and went up for a shower. Just after 7 am I was on the local field, throwing a ball and watching Tom streak after it, it is lovely to watch him move. My feet got soaked from the dew, after a while the ball was getting increasingly soggy with saliva, so I put his lead back on  and walked home. I rinsed the ball under the tap.the had breakfast, and left husband to sit with Tom whilst I fetched Nathaniel. It was good to have another person around. As soon as he came through the gate Nat said 'Ooh dog' as the back door was open. They were a bit wary of each other at first, but gradually made friends, although sometimes Tom got a.bit tired of Nat's overenthusiasm, so I made sure they were on different sides of the safety gate.Husband felt well enough to supervise them in the garden for a while.
making friends

enjoying the sun

getting ready to throw


Nat's 'I've been told off and I don't like it' pose


Much to Tom's relief I took Nat out in the buggy and did my best to tire him out in the local play area. He refused to sit in the swing, preferring to climb the steep steps of the slide which is about six feet or more off the ground, and fearlessly slide down several times. He ran around for a bit and crawled through the tunnel, then headed off for the gate. I managed to get there with the buggy whilst he was still trying to work out how it opened, and plonked him in the buggy and we set off for home. After lunch I put him up for nap, he protested at first, but settled pretty soon, and husband, dog and I all took advantage and napped ourselves.
where is that ball?

Dogs are the funniest thing ever!

How high can I hold it ?

having more fun

Daughter came to collect Nathaniel, and later, the wanderers returned, and having already eaten, went to visit Daughter and Son in Law for a while.
On Friday husband went into work, he felt a tad better, but had to go in to collect his work laptop, as he was due to work from home on Monday. The young people went into town for new tyres, and later I took Nat out to town in the buggy to get a refund on a pair of trousers which although my usual size were too tight, and actually measured 2 in less than another pair which I have! according to the assistant 'they can vary by 2in, we give them the instructions, but it depends on which country they are made in' !! I said 'Perhaps it's time everything was made in this country again' M&S used to be so strict about such things. I also transferred some money, as I've had to book accommodation for our next Wales visit. I bought Nat a drink in M&S, as it was so hot but when I offered it to him I saw he was asleep.
I phoned the other  two to tell them I was on my way home, they had been in the park with Tom. We had quiche and salad for lunch, then later son went up for a nap, so he would be refreshed for their evening journey.  I chatted to Daughter in law as she played with Nathaniel. It's so long since they actually stayed with us, but was lovely to see so much of them. Daughter came to collect Nat again and stayed chatting almost till dinner was ready. They seemed to have enjoyed their Olympic visit, rather them than me, I cannot stand large crowds, and although the competitors did well in the fields for which they had trained, I still find it all incredibly boring. People are either capable of great athletic feats or they are not. If someone is not the right build, they will not do well, I learned that form my Daughter's primary school teacher, a very sporty man, who recognised that we all have our strengths and weaknesses. It was nice to see the Christian athletes giving Glory to God.
If I had medals to hand out one would go to the surgeon who did my operation. Fifteen months ago, I couldn't raise my arm above my head, and changing gear was painful, now I can lift a 2 stone child. Another medal would go to the anaesthetist, who recognise a nervous patient and put me out before I could say anaesthetic, and the physios who worked tirelessly with me in the hydro pool, as they do with others every day, would get medals too.
Our visitors left late on Friday evening,  Saturday, we walked into town, did the shopping, ate sandwiches in town, then got the bus back up. I fell asleep on the sofa Saturday evening, I had a dry hacking cough and a scratchy sore throat. I just about managed to fix lunch on Sunday, but spent a lot of time asleep, no church, as I was afraid of falling asleep and /or coughing through the sermon. I'm not quite back to normal, but the sore throat has gone. Good thing as I have Nat again tomorrow, how time flies! hope all my readers manage to stay bug free. PS, you should see Tom leap over the safety gate, I didn't manage a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment