Monday 27 August 2012

The Dog days of Summer

Oh dear, late blogging again, I did forget to mention that when husband worked from home, we went to the dentist for a check up, and as I had broken a tooth will have to have another crown. Last week was my final 2 days of looking after Nathaniel, it was quite nice to have him. On the last Friday I took him to a play area near where he lives, but he refused to go on the swings or the slide, and wanted to play on the large apparatus where 2 older children were playing. He got up onto a platform, but couldn't go anywhere but down, as the stuff was beyond his capabilities. I had to help him down. This happened 2 or 3 times, but most of the time he just ran around.

The big boys stuff!

Our Son and his wife arrived here at about 5.20 pm,and Daughter came to collect Nathaniel so that she could see them. She had been given gifts from work. Husband arrived home and gave Son some things to help with loading the car and newly acquired luggage rack. The other young people arrived later, and the car and luggage rack were loaded up. Then they set off for the South of France, leaving Tom in our care.

On Saturday morning husband was up early to take Tom for a walk. Later we drove into town, leaving Tom at home alone. Whilst we were in town we discovered that our town centre Curry's was closing. Husband suggested we went in for a look, and I discovered that they had some reduced laptops.  I have been looking at laptops as I find it frustrating having to wait for husband to go to bed before I can use the desktop in the evenings, and having to share when we are on holiday. I found one in my price range, the last one in stock, and discovered that there was a further 10% off the price as the store was closing. Husband also nabbed a bargain.
Tom was pleased to see us, he is a very gentle, very loving animal, and if he had his way would spend his time being scratched behind the ears, stroked, brushed, or otherwise receiving our full attention. Our little terrier cross who died a few years ago hated being brushed, and would grumble, and snap. Tom however just looks adoringly.
Later that day I phoned Sister, cooked us a meal, took Tom for a walk, watered the plants that were wilting, then fed Tom, and took him for final trip around the block. On Sunday  afternoon, husband took an early nap, and despite the heat, came for a walk with me up to the field at the top of the hill, where we spent time getting Tom to chase after a ball. It was very hot, but he didn't mind, I took some water and gave him a drink. 
Husband gets ready to throw




It was very sticky in church that day too.
 So every day except one last week, husband took Tom out first thing, then I took him out later, with a final walk round the block just before bed. Tom shed quite a lot of hair, and I found myself using my inhalers quite a bit more. Most days I ended up at Daughter's, much to Nathaniel's delight. Tom didn't mind playing ball with Nathaniel, but objected to being chased around, and I heard Tom bark for the first time ever, as a warning that he'd had enough.   He also climbed on the sofa beside me to get away!
On Wednesday my weight was up gain, my leader is quite concerned, she thinks it may be down to my thyroid.  Certainly at times my pulse drops lower to 50, so she could be right I'm not due for blood tests for months though. Husband had his Bristol trip, and was home early, so came with me on the afternoon walk to Daughter's. On the way back Tom managed to lose a ball, he couldn't see where  it had landed, and despite him and us searching it remained lost, when they cut the field the grass isn't picked up, so it may have fallen under a clump of grass.
On Friday morning  I went up to Daughter's   to take Nathaniel's Birthday present, he was 2.  He was most put out that I hadn't taken Tom with me. Son in law was home as they were going to Whipsnade zoo.  I had decided to stay at home and keep Tom company, as dogs aren't allowed in the zoo. In the evening I walked up with Tom, and husband went straight there from work. We had dinner, then sang Happy Birthday, and we had a piece of the lovely cake, which Daughter had made. Nathaniel needed help to blow out the candle.
I wonder what is in this?

Ooh a fire engine

Clean t shirt , ready for the zoo

In the Night Garden Birthday cake

I like my fire engine


















































































































































































Saturday was fairly normal, except for taking Tom for walks, but by bedtime I was too tired for the last walk around the block. Husband took him out first thing on Sunday morning, then we went to church, came home and had lunch, after which the wanderers returned, sorted the car out and their friend who had left her car here departed with her stuff and her passenger. Then Tom's stuff was loaded into their car and Tom jumped in, and they set off for home. Husband and I crashed out, and only just made it to the evening service. We quite enjoyed having Tom and both got more exercise than usual,which is good. I will finish now,and write about the Bank holiday later.

No comments:

Post a Comment