Thursday 6 September 2012

Bank holiday, beds, bumps and bruises

Well the Bank holiday wasn't very good weather wise, it didn't matter too much  as we had no exciting plans. We didn't do much in the morning, a bit of gardening and stuff, but in the afternoon we started on the job we had been dreading.
replanted pots dong well


We cleared everything out of the understairs cupboard. Husband wanted to run a cable through the cupboard, so needed access. We filled some black bin bags with rubbish, another bag full of stuff for the charity shop, and I gathered together 5 carrier bags full of plastic carrier bags to dispose of. I still have plenty of plastic carriers left. Husband also took down the ceiling in there, as when we had the stair carpet fitted, I was quite concerned to see some of the nails holding one of the risers to a step  were not fully knocked in. Husband managed to reduce the gap a bit, and the stairs felt a bit more secure, that step feels less springy. Husband, however wants me to get a builder to check that the stairs are safe.
you can see the carpet through the gap!

Having watched some episodes of 'Cowboy trap' on iplayer, I know that I need to pick the builder carefully, I reckon that the last builder we used must have retired by now. There was a lot of plaster and plaster dust to clear up and bag for the dump.
No prize for guessing where I went on Tuesday morning. I took 4 bags of rubbish, some odds and ends,and the plastic bags. The cricket sets, plastic racquets, boules and frisbee went back in the cupboard, as one day we will hopefully have older grandchildren who might like to play. Husband was reunited with some things he had forgotten he had, (maybe I should have dumped those before he saw them!)  I think that we now know what is under the stairs. It is possible to put one's feet in the cupboard now.
I finally decided I'd had enough of the foam mattress topper, it made us so hot, and I was sick of trying to recover migrating sheets, so we had to get used to sleeping on our aging mattress again, but at least the sheet stays in place. On Tuesday afternoon I drove over to Watford to have a look at beds, and to ask advice on whether it was better to buy a new bed or just replace a mattress. I didn't stay too long, the Harlequin centre seemed to be full of parents doing their shopping for shoes, uniform, stationery etc for the new term.
I also called in at the music shop to enquire whether they still bought and sold trumpets,as I had found Son's old trumpet, which he hasn't played for years and no longer wants. If the shop don't want it  I may contact the school, as there are always new starters who decide they would like to learn an instrument.
When I was weighed on Wednesday  had actually lost two and a half pounds. I think that this is because I cut the carbs. I wasn't able to do that so much this week, so who knows? After a good week the previous week, I didn't manage to keep my Sainsbury's spending down.  I bought a lamb joint, and it's so expensive.
On Thursday, it was my first 'free' Thursday for ages, so when I had done some chores,  I decided I'd quite like to visit Aylesbury. So I drove over there, and had a look around. I had managed to spoil a t shirt by getting bleach on it. They didn't have the exact shade, I think it was from last year, in M&S,  but I bought one similar. I was pleasantly surprise to find it was reduced to £2. I also picked up some cake bars which I hadn't been able to get locally.
On Monday, whilst trying to wring out a mop, I had managed to knock husband's glass teapot over, and it had smashed, so I drove over to Berkhamsted as there is a Waitrose there.  I browsed the lovely arts and crafts shop, then an antiques/curio shop, bumped into friends in Temptation, where I wasn't tempted, then spent a small fortune in Waitrose, which is the only place now where I can buy my favourite yoghurts. On the way home I called in on Daughter. Nathaniel showed me the rest of his Birthday presents, then was busy jumping and running around the garden. He was sporting a bruise on his head, he had been bouncing on his Mum's bed, fallen off, and despite duvet and pillows to break his fall, had hit the corner of the bedside chest. I reminded him of the song from parent and toddler group, 'no more monkeys jumping on the bed!'
On Friday I walked into town,and had left salad prepared for my lunch. However, having had a light breakfast,  I suddenly felt as if my blood sugar was dropping, so rushed into Boots and bought a wrap.   I felt better after eating it, so when I got back home I just ate the salad with a bit of balsamic dressing. I couldn't believe that it was going to be September the first on Saturday, the year has flown by, probably because of my childminding I suppose. We drove to Watford in search of a new bed for us. It was so difficult making a choice, husband could sleep anywhere, but I can't sleep on firm beds. We lay on bed after bed, and eventually chose a sprung base, with a dunlopillo mattress. I do hope we have made the right choice. Then we separated and visited other shops. I went into John Lewis, where I tried a Tempur mattress called Cloud. Believe me it was, like sinking into a cloud. Oh no! I thought, have I done the wrong thing? but then I thought of the cost of Tempur mattresses, and with the ease that I had sunk into it, would I have had trouble turning over?
I bought my fruit and veg in M&S, didn't need a lot, then shopping began to pall, so I headed for the market,which still is suffering, rang husband and he came to meet me. We'd had news that morning that poor Nathaniel had had another accident, his Dad had taken him to something called 'who let the Dads out',at their church, and Nat had run into the corner of a table and gashed the side of his eye. So he had spent part of the morning at St Albans minor injuries unit, where the gash had been glued. We called round to see how he was, and he was full of beans,playing in the garden, but developing a beautiful shiner. He is a typical boy, takes life head on. When our Son was young we spent a few hours in the local A&E.
I'd been getting to bed late, and not sleeping too well, so really crashed out after my Sunday Lunch. When I eventually awoke I decided I needed a walk to blow away the cobwebs, so that I didn't fall asleep in the evening service. The preaching was excellent as usual. Then we came home and I phoned Mum in Law,who seemed reasonably bright, although she is still getting problems which are being blamed on the fall which she had some months ago.
Didn't have a tripod to hand

We had that phenomenon known as a 'ring around the moon last week, I attempted to capture it.




No comments:

Post a Comment