Thursday 13 September 2012

A late heatwave and a trip to the seaside



Last week was the week when the sun returned in all its glory for a while, I think I forgot to mention that on the Friday of the previous week I'd had my hair cut. Because Nathaniel hadn't been too good  at sitting still in the buggy, I had been going earlier in the week, but last week I was able to go child free, and it was the lady who used to cut my hair, so she did it a bit shorter than the other one. She too has become a Grandma in the last couple of years, so we have something in common. I was a bit concerned that she might have left my ears showing, I hate my ears showing, it makes me look like a pixie, and these days it's more like a fat pixie!
 Our friends from church, who also love St Ives were down there, so we were keeping an eye on the webcams to see what weather they were having.  I don't recall much of Monday, but we did watch Celebrity Antiques Road trip, and I watched an episode of The Midwives, which daughter has been glued to. Not sure that that is wise!
Tuesday likewise was unremarkable, I called in on Daughter, was pleased to see Nat's gash healing, although there was still evidence of the shiner. In the evening we watched New tricks on iplayer. On Wednesday I decided to give Weightwatchers a miss. I was feeling low, overtired, and have been stuck at a plateau for so long I felt I really couldn't go on. I did the usual Sainsbury's trip, then after lunch had to got to see the dentist for preparation for my crown. It was a long uncomfortable experience, and when my eldest sister rang later, my mouth was still frozen and I had a bit of difficulty speaking to her. I decided that having put the kitchen cupboard up some weeks ago, it was time I fitted the door. I asked husband for his drill, but as usual it needed charging. That's the problem with power tools, if they are rechargeable they are never charged when you need to use them.
 I decided to give myself a few days off  Weightwatchers, and eat what I felt like eating.  I had been for my usual walk when on the way home, I met the lady who used to run the sub post office in our Road. I haven't seen her for a while, but she talks more than I do. Both of her girls are Doctors, and she gave me an update on them, she asked me about our church going habits, was surprised that we went every week, she is Hindu and told me she prays for 3 minutes every evening, but never goes to the temple. I began to wonder what one can say in 3 minutes, when my own prayers, although spasmodic, can involve a lot of pleading for a whole host of folk.
I eventually managed to get away without being rude, as I was in a hurry. Women's hour was due to start, and having missed so many due to Nat's naps, I really wanted to start the new session well. After a hasty lunch, I managed to arrive during the first hymn. The speaker was the former Pastor's wife, who has been a widow for about 9 years. She was very good.
On the way home I went to Daughter's again as I was in need of a natter. Nat played happily in the garden, although he did manage to trip in bare feet and open up a cut he had on his toe, much crying and shouting of  'Toe, toe', and more crying when we cleaned it up and put plaster on. He dislikes plasters, I can sympathise, it was always horrible having one taken off as a child as it sometimes hurt more the the injury.
I had terrible trouble getting into my account on Milk and More, every time they sent me a new password the site rejected it. However, later I managed to fit the cupboard door, but not the handle, Rome wasn't built in a day was it?  Husband was resigned as I watched another episode of The Midwives.
Friday was spent catching up on the ironing, and general housework and trying to tidy up.  I made my Cousin a birthday card and posted it. I had more problems with the Milk and More site, eventually ringing them to cancel a delivery. I was given yet another password, which didn't work. Eventually I got around to packing for the weekend, husband came home early had a doze, then we loaded up the car again and set off for Mum in law's home.
We arrived at the services earlier than last time, but Costa were closing up again, so we went into the M&S for food. Husband got me a hot chocolate to drink, but it tasted odd. The machine had a notice on which proclaimed 'Galaxy', but there seemed to be a distinct flavour of artificial sweetener. Maybe it doesn't contain it, but they certainly used to sell Highlights, which did.
There were little pockets of mist on the road which passes Brighton, but nothing too bad. we eventually arrived at the bungalow just before 11. We didn't stay up late as were both tired, but as usual I struggled to sleep well.
The next day I wandered around Mum in laws garden in the morning

It's amazing how we notice spider's webs more in Autumn

Later we went into Eastbourne, and as it was still such a lovely day, decided to buy sandwiches and eat them on the promenade. As we approached the prom we saw that there was continental market going on. Husband muttered that perhaps we should have waited to buy food, but I'm not sure the food would have been to Mum in law's taste. We sat watching the world go by, the boats,and a few  intrepid swimmers. husband and I bought an ice cream, and then as we watched, a sea mist came bowling in really fast, the Coastguard arrived a few minutes later, there were concerns about folk in a rowing boat which hadn't had time to get back in to shore before the mist came.
We had tour of some shops in Eastbourne, including an antiques shop. Sadly Mum in Law cannot walk as fast as me these days, so the strolling makes my hip hurt. I rang husband, and said we were on our way back to the car, and we joined him at a 'collector's centre', near where the car was parked. Back at the bungalow we read papers, used the internet,and dozed . Husband watched Dr Who, which seems to get weirder and weirder.
Sunday again dawned bright and sunny, we went to our usual church then whilst I was waiting for lunch decided to sit in the sun. Mum in Law had some small garden chairs but one had cracked arm. She expressed concern that the  canvas might give on them as she wasn't sure how old they were, but I decided to risk one. As I gingerly lowered myself into it, the plastic on the arm cracked. As the arm was attached to the back, the back gave way and I made an undignified incomplete backwards roll, which was bit painful. Praying that no one had seen my involuntary flash of underwear, I went back indoors, told Mum In law that she was half right, but it was the plastic that had gone. I found husband and told him he'd missed an opportunity for 'You've been framed'.  I took a more solid garden chair out to nurse my wounded pride, and top up my vitamin D.
After roast pork I didn't doze,  I replaced the garden chair, but as I approached it found this,
I'm sure he was posing for me

Later I went for a longer walk, taking the route past the beach hotel past all the fabulous houses,and then crunching back across the pebbly beach.
Another luxury house with a sea view?

these birds were all congregating on one roof

beach huts

garages on the beach? they must be for boats

people having fun
a seagull goes to church!
As I came back up the road husband was just beginning to pack the car
We gathered our things together, loaded up the car, Mum in Law gave us some beans to bring home, and we left at about 5.30 pm. As we drove away, the first few drops of rain were beginning to fall. We had a slow journey, many people had been to the coast because of the good weather, and we also came across dozens of bikers, as it had been Brighton Burn Up. We stopped at the services for a drink, and there were more bikers; we had stopped for petrol and there were bikers. We eventually reached home about 9.30, the journey slowed by sheer congestion. Hopefully on our next trip down there the traffic will be better, as it will be later in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment