Wednesday 19 December 2012

Counting down to Christmas

View from up the hill

Frosted rose buds

Frosted leaves

Nathaniel
Goodness me, is it really so long since I blogged? What have I been up to? I can't remember half of it! I did go shopping in Watford for a present for Mum in law, then one Saturday we went to Berkhamsted to look for things for husband to put in my stocking, he usually likes a hint or two. We did our usual lunch in Waitrose, husband had had a sight test that morning, so I shopped whilst he had that done. then we did our usual tour of the shops, ending up back at Waitrose for a bit of shopping. A fortnight ago I was back at the private hospital at 6pm on a Tuesday, for an ultrasound on my shoulder. This picked up a tear in the tendon. When I had the other shoulder done I had an MRI scan which didn't reveal a tear, so the upshot is that I have to have another operation. I saw the consultant on a Saturday morning to talk about that. The waiting room was surprisingly busy and I had to wait; unusual in a private hospital.
I've been trying to get cards written, our newsletter written, and a sheet of pictures of our year. I made a hash of some labels, and had to walk to Staples to buy more. I have also spent time artistically arranging silver 'flowers', putting baubles in bowls, and doing generally naff things like that. I also dragged last years tree in out of the garden, complete with woodlouse, and decorated it, and fiddled about with lights. Sadly, the blue set which I bought last time we spent Christmas in St Ives, has a bulb which no longer lights and the bulbs are not replaceable. They go round the panel at the side of the front door.
For more than a week we had temperatures below zero, but suddenly it went warmer and the rain came back

I have bought quite a few items online, I have also got around to contacting the cooker manufacturer,as the main oven has refused to light for several days. Fortunately I have a combination microwave, which does joints quite well, I just don't fancy trying to shoehorn a turkey in. The mince pies for the carol service went in the top oven, which doesn't get very hot.
The engineer comes tomorrow, so does the chap to service the boiler, I'm praying they don't arrive together, as both are in the kitchen.
I finished  posting the cards yesterday, and posted the last parcel today.
I am feeling a bit ropey as I have slight cold. It is a nuisance as I can be fine then my nose suddenly decides to drip. It is quite embarrassing. I spent a fortune at Sainsbury's last week, but nothing today  I used most of my nectar points, in fact I produced a voucher a bit late, but the assistant ended up giving me money, that's the way to do it!!
 My weight went up, then down, and I  am at my lightest weight for 10 years, still a way to go yet. One lady who came to our class today has lost around 9 stone!, that's a whole person! I've had couple of mince pies, but have mostly been eating soups for lunch, though I did make a huge batch of roasted veg which made 3 lunches with feta cheese.
Last week I made it to women's hour, we had a lovely Christmas talk on peace, from the wife of a minister from a nearby town. We also had the last parent and toddler's of the term last week. we are missing our pastor, but one of the elders did the carol service last Sunday, and he did very well.
My friend C has a broken ankle, and was in hospital, so I visited her last week, I must try to find out if she is home yet. Everything has been a bit of a blur, i haven't seen the childrenas much as I would like, but did babysit last week for about an hour. I'm still trying to get a photo of them both together, but Nat isn't very cooperative at present.
Last Saturday evening we went to see 'An unexpected journey', and enjoyed it, despite what some grumpy critics said. I wasn't brave enough to see it in 3D, as even the faster frame format left me a bit cross eyed at times. All in all it was good, P J has done it again. We are both hooked on the song of the dwarves. Howard Shore's score is superb. I'll never forget watching him conduct the Lord of the Rings symphony at the Royal Albert hall.
Well I'd better close and go and tidy my kitchen, will try and upload some pics. Lydia has learned to smile, what a cutie! Oh yes and my shoulder surgery is fixed for Jan 31st.

my advent candle

mini tree

sliver baubles and cones

Lights by front door

here comes the smile

Nathaniel not cooperating

interesting reflections in the TV screen

Add caption
Lydia in her snuggle suit

No comments:

Post a Comment