Tuesday 1 January 2013

It's Christmas

Well I got the kitchen tidied, got a call to say cooker man would be with me between 12 and 2, wondered when the gas service man would arrive, then checked calendar at 11.20 am, saw it said gas service 12 noon till 6.00; too late then to go out for newspapers, I wouldn't have got back in time. So I had an early lunch, then waited. The chap from Belling arrived at about 12.30, I explained the problem, and he took the cooker apart, then said he was just going to to the van for a part. Basically I had been sold a cooker with a faulty thermostat sensor, the sensor had somehow been bent, and would not work properly, hence the oven going out if the grill was lit, and the oven going out randomly. He was a very pleasant chap, had been in Bury St Edmunds all week and after he finished my cooker would be heading back to Liverpool.
The oven was working perfectly, and even the top oven was getting hotter than it previously had, marvellous. Whilst I had been waiting I had started icing the Christmas cake. I had decided to adapt an old Mary Ford cake pattern I used years ago. It featured piped snowmen, Christmas trees and icicles. The  gas service man came fairly late, so I was well on with the cake, he soon declared all was in order, managed to get the cover back on so that it didn't vibrate, and went on his way. Free at last I headed off to buy the papers, some black piping icing for snowmans' or snowmen's hats. I also bought some ribbon to put around the middle of the cake to hide uneven icing. Dunelm Mill was the place for that.
Husband came home having finished for Christmas, and the dinner cooked well for once. On the Friday he was off to pick up his Mum, but we had to get her room ready. The problem was going to be moving a bed, having checked the position of the bed in our Son's old room, and the piles of junk boxes of stuff to be sorted, he declared that his Mum would have to sleep on the guest bed. As it is quite hard, I would  buy yet another foam mattress topper to fit that bed. He departed for the South Coast at around 1 pm, I went off into town, had some lunch, and bought a few items in M&S, including a free range turkey.  Later  I drove to Dunelm Mill, bought said mattress topper wrestled said topper which was slightly wide for  2'6 bed, then managed to make up the bed. I duly vacuumed, upstairs, downstairs and in my ladies' chamber, and put out towels for Mum in law
On the Saturday morning I did my weekend shopping In Sainsbury's, and managed to hang up the ever growing pile of Christmas cards, some years I don't get around to most of them till Boxing Day. Husband arrived at around 4 pm with his Mum, she declined a visit to Daughter, and we caught up on her news, then later had a beef casserole.
On the Sunday morning I didn't have much to do, so used some time to make a batch of mince pies. We went off to the church , then nipped home for me to collect my camera, and went to Daughter's for Sunday lunch. Mum in law met Lydia and was duly impressed. When Lydia is awake she is cooing and smiling and trying to stand whilst bouncing up and down, talk about forward! We had a very nice lunch then chatted, and perhaps dozed a bit. Nathaniel still would not cooperate for a photo with his sister though. I didn't feel too grand, had a sore dry throat, husband had backache, so we decided to skip the evening service.

Great Grandma meets Lydia

Grandad helps with track laying

Nathaniel checks with Grandad

Nathaniel tries Mama's laptop

he finds Grandad's gadget very interesting

On Christmas Eve husband and I did some last minute Sainsbury's shopping, fatal, he always sneaks things into the trolley that I wouldn't buy. I spent the last of my Nectar points, having had a week's free shopping the week before. The present wrapping was finished off, I did gammon in the pressure cooker for dinner, then eating cold later, the stockings were filled and off to bed we went.
We were up relatively early on Christmas morning and opened our stockings. No chocs in mine, as requested, but a lacquer ware box, and a bracelet, a packet of Werther's and a meerkat keyring.
Husband had choc coins, choc bars, a set of folding bookends, a 'Patience' DVD, and a pocket antiques guide.  I put the turkey in upside down to ensure a nice moist breast, and we went off to the 10.00am Christmas morning service. Once home I continued with dinner preparations, the turkey was cooking well, eventually I  removed it turned the oven up, and put in the potatoes and parsnips for roasting, and the stuffings.
The family, ie daughter Son in law, and the 2 children arrived, so we had a bit of gift exchanging, and present opening, the latter of which continued throughout the day for Nathaniel. He was overwhelmed, and by lunchtime overtired, so he didn't eat much of his dinner, but went up for a nap. Lydia was not too interested in the proceedings, fast asleep, so we managed a good main course followed by Sainsbury's cognac laced Christmas pudding, except for daughter, who had an individual nut free one. There was brandy butter, clotted cream for me, and 2 people had ice cream!
Afterwards the gift opening continued. I received 2 Marple boxed sets, the Old curiosity shop DVD, cheques, and money and a necklace from Husband. Nathaniel had lots of Duplo train track amongst his gifts, including points and a bridge. Lydia had various clothes and soft toys,  husband received DVDs books and money. Of course the men became boys again with all the Duplo trains around, Lydia when awake was smiling, cooing, gurgling,and pushing her feet into my lap and bouncing around. Another one eager to be on her feet!
Great Grandma was spellbound, loving the framed picture of Lydia that I sneaked into her stocking, with the usual handcream chocs and diary. She was never used to Christmas stockings, but it is a rule that if you spend Christmas Eve night in my house a stocking is compulsory. We had a late tea, I was disappointed to see that all of the Christmas trees on my cake had gone soft and fallen over. It is so hot in my kitchen, and because of constant rain I'd had to use the tumble dryer.
The candle says it's almost here

the cake before the trees fell over

Track maintenance Christmas day

Lydia shows off her posh new dress

Lydia grins at Nanna

Candles reflected in our St Ives picture


The family left to get the little ones to bed, and husband browsed for something to watch on iplayer. he chose Mr Stink, which was of interest to us as it was filmed mostly in our town. Well I'd best pause here as I'm tired

No comments:

Post a Comment