Monday 14 January 2013

January- we start the year off fine, (apologies to N Sedaka)

Well we didn't have too much joy at getting back to normal. I skipped weightwatchers as I overslept. I went off to Sainsbury's and did the weekly shopping, then concentrated on getting the washing sorted, not a terribly exciting day.
During the night, I was aware of husband getting up, and of a horrible noise coming from the bathroom. I got up to see if he was ok, and he said I'd mistaken the sound of him being sick for a cry of pain. He had a lurgy of some sort. Apparently he was up a couple more times and in the morning just lay there.  He is usually up just after 5. Eventually he asked for his phone so he could send text to his boss. He had no energy and slept on and off all day just sipping water. I decided not to see Daughter in case I carried anything there. The weather continued to be awful, more rain, I went out for a walk and  didn't achieve much all day. On Friday husband still felt dreadfully tired, and slept a lot, and was feeling a bit more like eating. I still had no sign of illness, apart from nausea after eating scrambled eggs for breakfast. Either he had had a bug which I hadn't caught, or it was caused by the curry, which he had bought at the services on New Year's Day, to eat for his evening meal.
On Saturday we had our usual trip to town, did the fruit and veg shopping,then home on the bus. Sunday we had a visiting speaker at church, he was quite good but didn't have a very inspiring delivery.
Husband made it back to work on Monday, I concentrated on stripping the Christmas tree, taking down the cards, and putting away the candles and other decorations I had scattered around.  I decided I needed a new bauble box, couldn't find one locally, but Amazon obliged. I moved the tree into the garden before going off to my 6 monthly osteopath visit. I had stripped the spare bed and washed the bedclothes, so had 2 lots to iron. I gathered them up, plus some shirts from the backlog, and took them up to the ironers. I had an update on my friend C with the broken ankle, who was going into her 5th week in hospital, she hadn't been allowed out for her sister's funeral, but was allowed out on Christmas Day, with a 7pm curfew. Her Daughter in Law is a nursing sister, so she was in good hands for the day. On Tuesday, after my walk and a soup lunch, I drove into town and went to visit her. She was very low, has got quite institutionalised, and has experienced some of the lack of care which we read about in the newspapers. Why do some young nurses try to strip the elderly of their dignity? I called in on daughter on the way back, hadn't seen her for over a week. It was lovely to see the children again, Lydia continues to be lively when wide awake.
The news was not good at WW, up by more than I had hoped. I stayed to the class, then off to Sainsbury's. I was shocked at the bill again, my trolley was only about a quarter full. Home for a quick soup, then off to parent and toddlers, the first of the new term. After a slow start we had a good turnout.
Part of Thursday was spent making up the spare bed to a double, and putting bed linen on, I was running late again, having walked into town to transfer some money, and take my shoes to the repairers, so missed women's hour. The weather which had been so mild that there were flies in my garden, had turned cold again; still, it is winter so we should expect cold weather.
I had managed to book a hair appointment for a cut for Friday, so again I walked down there I also collected my newly heeled shoes. The hairdresser is right next to the shoe repairers, so that was convenient, then I walked back up. I also undertook some general cleaning and sorting in the bathroom, including taking the net curtain down washing it and cleaning the window. There is a toothbrush sitting in my windowsill, which definitely isn't ours. Mum in law says she has hers, and although it hasn't been there more than a month, I checked with the previous visitors and they deny all knowledge. Hmmm, a mystery if ever there was one.
We had a very eventful weekend, but I'll save the story of that till later. Sorry there's no pictures to brighten up the boring bits. We had a couple of parcels, the bauble box still hadn't arrived, and I put together some new bathroom shelves, only to discover they were too big. Hey ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment