Thursday 10 January 2013

Oh dear, late again updating, well back to Boxing Day. It's always a bit slower than Christmas Day. As I'd missed my walk on Christmas Day, too much going on, too many obstacles to the door and other excuses, husband and I did get out for a walk on Boxing day morning. We found the newspapers in one of our local newsagents, then returned home for more sitting around. Lunch was cold cuts of Turkey and gammon, with pickles and salad. There was left over Christmas pud, Christmas cake, or M&S excellent chocolate log for anyone who wanted it. I always used to make a chocolate log, but it was quite a lot of hassle, then Daughter took over making it, but she hasn't lived at home for a few years. Having previously bought the M&S product when we have had Christmas away, I knew it was good, with plenty of chocolate coating.
At around 3 pm we drove up to Daughter's house, and spent the rest of the day there. Nathaniel had all his track out, he had received more from his parents, so the Duplo railway was in a figure of 8 with the bridge in place. He and his Daddy were having fun pushing engines around, derailing, rearranging track.  Great Grandma was happy to spend more time cuddling Lydia.
Our daughter had chosen a Nigella recipe, Rudolph Pie. It was a posh cottage pie made with venison and pork. Everyone enjoyed it, I can't quite recall what dessert was. Oh yes, I did take a 'trifle' with me, raspberry and chocolate, but the chocolate custard refused to set, so it was more like a splat than a trifle. It tasted good though. I've noticed that there were a lot of  desserts around in Sainsbury and M&S, all looked delicious, but at a price! I do like a dessert, although we don't usually have them at home these days, unless we have visitors.
Track layout


CEO of train company

Lydia

All set to go

getting some exercise
On the Thursday it was Mum in law's turn to come out with me, she had hardly been out since arriving here. We popped down to Sainsbury's and came the long way back. On Friday our Daughter wanted us to have Nathaniel for a while, they had a wardrobe to assemble and a bath to seal, last time  Son in law attempted to seal the bath Nathaniel climbed in the bath to help. So his Daddy dropped him off here, and it was just like old times. First he looked at my tree, then said 'Pretty, lights on', so I obliged. This year he didn't attempt to touch the tree.
We took him out in the buggy, then gave him a lunch of eggybread and beans. He refused a nap, preferring to play. As I had bought salmon for dinner I was wondering what on earth I could give him, but after a phone consultation, Daughter came round with Lydia sat for a while chatting, then took him home to feed him.
Saturday we went into town shopping. The weather wasn't good so we took the car. We had lunch in M&S. Over the holiday period I'd completed 3 large crosswords including the Radio Times Christmas crossword. I stripped the turkey meat off the bones and froze it, I had also cut the remaining gammon up and frozen it.
Sunday, during lunch, Daughter and the family came round to say goodbye to Grandma, they were off to Daughter's in laws in Kent. They stayed a bit longer than expected, so we were late setting off to take Mum in Law home; the journey wasn't too bad, and we arrived at a warm toasty bungalow, she had left the heating on as she thought it might get cold and freeze.
On the Monday we went into Hastings, she inisted on coming with us, despite me having told her what we did in Hastings. It was a filthy day, heavy rain and very windy. After lunch we set off on our usual route, whcih involved being blown along the prom, then into the back street, which wasn't as sheltered as I had hoped. The wind howled behind us. We started wandering in and out of antiques shops, then up into Old Hastings for more antique shops..
Eventually I needed the little girls' room, and went off in search. I found one on the promenade, then rang husband to tell him I'd had enough. My joggers had wicked up rainwater almost to my knees, my socks and shoes were soaked. So I rang husband and said so, also saying his Mum had probably had enough too. They came to meet me in the side road, Mum in Law taking my arm and complaining that husband walked too fast. He disappeared into one of the first antique shops, then caught us up. On the way back he took Mum in law to her favourite supermarket to stock up, whilst I popped into the large Boots. On arrival back at the bungalow we were cold wet and tired, but Mum in Law put the heating back on and we changed into warm dry clothing, and put the wet stuff to dry. We were late eating that evening, but I refused to go to bed till the fireworks had finished, good thing too as my phone started buzzing with New year texts. The fireworks finished at 12.20 am, just as I was getting into bed.
On New Year's day, husband and I walked around the village, only the small supermarkets were open, and the newsagents.Then later we got changed to look respectable, as we took Mum In Law to the Eastbourne Hydro for lunch, It was very good, we all had the same mains, but I chose a lighter dessert than the other two's, a pear poached in Drambuie, with rum and raisin ice cream. Most of the alcohol burns off during the cooking. It was nice and refreshing. Coffee with chocolate mints, then the scenic route home to the bungalow, where we changed again, packed up and left so that we could begin the most difficult part of the journey in daylight. Again we passed a bad accident, thankful that we were on the other side of the road, as the tailbacks went on for miles.A stop for a cuppa, and some essentials at M&S, and we arrived home before 7.
Now time to try and get back to normal. Here's hoping that everyone has a good New year, with many blessings


No comments:

Post a Comment