Monday 21 January 2013

A door, a dog, a diversion and a dodgy car


So.... the difficult weekend, life just wasn't plain sailing.  Husband went to Bristol on the Friday, he was back early, so I decided  to get out and get my car sorted for husband to use the the following Monday; oil, tyres,  water, etc. As I was filling up the windscreen washer I noticed a white powder on the battery.  I suspected corrosion, but husband said, 'just brush it off, it'll be fine'. I wanted to got to Halford's for a new battery, but he sighed and said he was too tired. So I went off to the petrol station to fill it up with petrol.
On Saturday morning I was up late, and we ran late all day. We set off for town at around 1 pm, except we didn't get anywhere. As I went to lock the front door the key wouldn't turn. Aaargh, the spare key was in the other side of the lock, I had forgotten to take it out when I opened the front door to take in the milk. Yes I am old fashioned and quaint enough still to have a milkman, handy when it snows, or someone has flu, we needn't drag ourselves out to the shops. I digress, husband said 'I'll go round the back and get in and remove the key' . 'No you can't'  I said, the 'bolt is on the inner door.' 'I'll see what I can do' and off he went. Later I heard sounds of banging, so having poked a piece of plastic, which promptly broke, in the lock, to try and dislodge the inner key, now the key would not fit, so I went round to join him. He was having no joy, having made such a good job of fitting the bolt in the first place. I tried, to no avail. Plan B came into force. It was too late to walk into town now.  Husband got out his smart phone and looked on the internet for a locksmith. The locksmith promised to have someone with us within half an hour.
The weather was cold,  so we got out the car, drove a little way up the hill and waited. Then we walked around to the front, and the chap duly arrived, assessed the situation, got out a special tool kit, inserted the tool through the letter box, and within 2 minutes had unlocked the door. I paid him the eye watering call out fee, we came through the house having relocked the door and removed the key, got back in the car and went to town. An aside here, please, if you have a lock which locks from the inside, never leave the key in the lock at night, leave it somewhere handy where you know you can find it in an emergency. It is frighteningly easy for someone with the right tools to get into your home.
By the time we got to town and did the shopping, there was only 1 greengrocery stall there. I know some of them head off for the sun in the winter for week or two. So I shopped in M&S. We left town at 4 pm, came home and unpacked the shopping, then both had a short doze. Later I defrosted some of the frozen turkey, and made turkey curry whilst chatting to my sister on the portable phone. We were so late eating that our overnight guests arrived just as we sat down. Our Son's in laws were in Cyprus for 2 months, so he and his wife were going out to join them for a few days. We would be dog sitting, and they needed a lift to Heathrow early on Sunday morning.
We chatted for a while, the they went off for an early night. I got to bed before midnight and reset my alarm, and settled down but sleep would not come. Meanwhile, husband was snoring away, and I resorted to hissing at him to be quiet. I may have dozed a little but at 6 am. it felt as if I hadn't slept a wink. At 6.45, I loaded the Focus with cases and passengers and set off. Near to the airport, Son was barking instructions at me, and I managed to drop them off in the right place at the right time.
 As I approached a roundabout I was startled to see a plane sitting in the middle of said roundabout. An advertisement, but a little disconcerting to a foggy brain. Then at the next roundabout I saw West M4. Hmm, I thought I don't want Bristol, so turned right which was East. Soon I was on the M4, but heading for central London. The buildings were getting taller, and I was praying and panicking, peering through the dark, when I saw a sign which said Chiswick, North Circular, so I pulled off.  It was a red zone, which means, no stopping, ever, under any circumstances, so I ploughed on till I saw signs for the M1.  I breathed 'Thank you Lord'.  Then found myself approaching Brent Cross which at least is familiar, soon I was on the M1, and as I hadn't eaten and needed a comfort stop I pulled off at what used to be called Scratchwood. I followed a red car which seemed to know where it was going, but found myself passing the main buildings, and heading into the coach/lorry park. Unable to see a way back, I left the area, and drove to near the petrol station. Parking in a layby, I tearfully phoned husband and explained where I was. I looked across to where the red car was, and saw people embracing;  there were coaches there, but also a lorry with its doors open. I briefly wondered how the folk embracing this driver had arrived, but headed off into the petrol station found the ladies, then bought a cereal bar and a coffee. I ate the bar but only had a couple of sips of coffee, the set off for home, arriving at about 8.30.
Shattered after all the adrenaline, I announced I wasn't going to church, and husband said he felt tired too, but had taken the dog for a walk, so all three of us were soon dozing away. Lunch wasn't as early as I'd hoped, but after another doze I took Tom for a walk, then we made it to the evening service.
It snowed overnight, I was due to take husband's car in for service, so was up early. I was in the bathroom when he rang to say my car wouldn't start, so I'd have to go with him to Borehamwood, then take the car in. Great! I quickly showered and grabbed something to eat, then we set off.  Some of his usual route was dodgy due to the snow, but we arrived, and I was allowed to use their facilities before heading off to our local Ford's. They weren't too fazed by my late arrival, but I thought it unwise to ask for a lift home, and crossed the road where the bus arrived within the 15 minutes.  Home, I had a coffee, then headed out for the newspapers leaving Tom behind.
Shortly after lunch I got a call to go and collect the car, but didn't go immediately as I was busy. I had tried to start my car and all I got was tick tick tick. Husband thought it was the starter motor, but as we don't have home cover from RAC, couldn't call them out. After I had collected the car, I took Tom out for walk. The snow had stopped and the sun was shining. Back home I made up a flask of tea, then set off to collect husband. When he came out I was sipping my tea, but again was allowed in to use their ladies' room, then husband drove home with me still sipping tea!
the sun shining above the snowy bushes

Blue skies after the snow

 the 'development' field , once a haunt of sledgers

the ducks had all gathered together

narrowboats in the snow

view from a bridge

setting sun

old lockkeepers cottage, once featured in a film, 'The Bargee'
just a few pics to brighten up the blog. I will write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment