Friday 8 March 2013

It's that time of year again

Quite an eventful week this week, on Thursday we set off for Stratford upon Avon, it was going to be our wedding anniversary on the Friday. I had thought we might go to Derbyshire and have a visit to Chatsworth, but Chatsworth doesn't open till March 10th. We stopped for lunch on the M40,at Cherwell Valley services, which has had a complete makeover since we last called in there.
We arrived at our hotel just after 3pm, and were soon checked into our room. The room was a strange shape, but quite large with an enormous bed. We settled in, found the complimentary tea and coffee, and I made us a drink. The tea didn't taste too nice, so I popped out for a walk, found a small Sainsbury's and bought some tea bags. I walked in a square and arrived back at the hotel. I passed the restaurant which is open to the public, but was disappointed to see how little there was on the menu. Later we changed and went down for dinner, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the menu I had seen was a pre theatre menu, and they also had an a la carte. We both chose the same starter, 'hand dived' scallops, and the same mains, sea bass on linguini.We opted for side of new potatoes and seasonal veg, which looked roasted, and struggled to finish them all.
Husband chose ginger cake with plum mousse for dessert, and I chose what was described as panna cotta, but the panna cotta was contained in a brandy snap, and there were bits of fruit and other interesting bits to eat. It was almost too artistic to eat.
Sadly the bed was a bit on the firm side, but I did get to sleep, probably as I've not been sleeping too well at other times. There were 3 lots of pillows on the bed, and we felt as if we were miles apart.
We awoke quite early, but didn't get up straight away. There was free wifi at the hotel, so we made use of that. Breakfast was lovely, fruit juice, followed by anything we wanted from the buffet, we both had berries and yoghurt, then a full English, with me missing out the sausage and fried bread.
The weather was a bit on the cold side, so I was glad that I'd taken a thick coat with me. We walked along the river bank first, to find the church where the Bard is buried. He was quite wealthy and bought a large plot  inside the church, in front of the altar. It was explained to us that had he been buried outside, his grave may not have survived. Having explored the church, and taken photos, which are permitted, we left via the tiny door, and walked along an avenue of limes to the front gate. We the made our way to the town centre, past Shakespeare's Daughter's house, then along Chapel Street, admiring the old buildings dotted along there.
We wandered around the shopping area, and I found a shoe shop, where I found some comfy summer sandals. Husband treated himself to a new tweed jacket, waistcoat and hat. We took our purchase back to the hotel, then wandered around looking for Shakespeare's birthplace. We found a Beatrix Potter toyshop in the same street, and got tempted by a gruffalo for Nat and a Peter rabbit for Lydia. We also went in the Christmas shop, which was bit surreal as it is nearly spring. Husband was all for going to Costa for a coffee and a bite to eat, but it was full. I had spotted a place just around the corner, described as a patisserie. There was lovely looking stuff in the window, so we went in. We decide to share a wrap, but there were some beautiful looking pies there. I don't eat pies, but they looked tempting. Then we saw the cakes, and couldn't resist them. Mine was a chocolate slice  with cherries on top, and it was served with cream. Overall, it wasn't too different from Costa pricewise, and in my opinion much nicer. We resumed our wanderings, then went back to the hotel to pick up the car to drive to Shottery. I hadn't walked so much since my op, and I couldn't have walked the distance to Anne Hathaway's Cottage.
It was quite expensive to go in, but we can use our tickets again in the next 12 months. It was worth it just to be entertained by the guide with his tales of life in Tudor times. We didn't have time to explore the gardens, but spent some time in the gift shop choosing small items for our grown up children, then back to the hotel for a rest before dinner. This time husband chose soup, I had cured salmon, then I had sesame crusted cod, with fondant potato and husband had venison. This time we shared a dish of seasonal veg. Desserts were brownie for me, which had mousse with it, a chocolate parfait and a chocolate chewy maccaroon. Husband doesn't remember what he had but it was all delicious. We watched a bit of TV, read newspapers, and I started my packing.
We got down a little bit earlier the next morning for breakfast, the same as the previous day, but different fruit juice, and prunes instead of berries.
All too soon we were paying the bill, and packing the car, then off to the other side of Brum to visit my sister and her husband. Her Daughters both came to see us, and one of her grandchildren. M had provide a large lunch, which we didn't think we could eat at first as we'd had a good breakfast. We left Birmingham at about 3.15, the satnav tried to direct us to the M6, but I told husband we were going the wrong way, so he turned when he could and we headed off back through Northfield and Longbridge, stopping for a drink in the same services as on the way up, then arriving home at about 6.30
I may well have to leave the rest of my tale till later
Hotel


River Avon

Church


Shakespeare's grave

Shakespeare's Birthplace


Kitsch in Christmas shop


Bookworm

One of the many lampposts donated to the town
Anne Hathaway's cottage
main bed with rope mattress pulled tight at night, hence sleep tight
Apparently some vandal who owned Shakespeare's house got fed up with people gawping at it and pulled it down

No comments:

Post a Comment