Sunday 10 March 2013

Who needs Shakespeare when we have our very own drama?

Well here goes with the rest of the week. On Sunday we had a very good sermon from one of our favourite visiting speakers. Then we popped home, to collect stuff, and then to Daughter's for lunch. Lydia was pleased with her Peter Rabbit, and proceeded to show her appreciation by giving him a good suck. Nat seemed a little less sure about his Gruffalo, but hopefully he will grow to like it, he certainly loves the book. We gave his parents their small gifts too. I think they were appreciated.
We had a lovely Sunday lunch, and a Nigella dessert, I dread to think how many calories. Nat went off for his nap, and the rest of us relaxed and tried to doze too. Lydia was again  trying to roll over, she almost succeeded, but her arm got in the way again. We were a bit disorganised, husband announced he wanted to call in at home before church, and the upshot was that we didn't make it to church. It was a very long evening with no church. I phoned Mum in Law as usual after she had finished watching 'her' speaker on the God channel, but she confessed she had actually fallen sleeep during his sermon.
Monday was a fairly quiet uneventful day, I got my walk in, and in the evening caught up with the Midwife programme, which was thankfully less traumatic than previously.
Tuesday I was due at hydro, husband working from home so he could take me. I hadn't been in the pool long, it was terribly hot in there, and suddenly I felt odd and my heart rate speeded up. I managed to say 'I don't feel well', and I was assisted up the steps, sat on a chair, and given oxygen. I was told I had gone quite grey. What drama! I drank cold water, had a cold compress on my forehead, and began to cool down. I was moved onto a treatment couch, and was told someone would check my blood pressure. They thought that the faint may have been because I had had a virus when I had that horrid cough. My heart rate was still up, and when they came to check my BP the machine couldn't read it, which in itself probably made matters worse. A Doctor came, and just as my heart rate seemed to me to be slowing, another BP machine was wheeled in, the sight of which made my heart rate increase again, (white coat syndrome). The doctor said my BP was up, I was tachycardic, and ordered an ECG. In the meantime they brought husband through, who had his kindle with him.
The Doctor said the ECG was fine, but as there was no cardiologist on duty, she would like me to be transferred to an A&E, and an ambulance was called. She also produced a nifedipine tablet which she said would bring my BP down. I dislike nifedipine, it makes my heart pound (!!!!), and my face goes the colour of beetroot. The physios were marvellous, plying me with drinks, walking me to the loo, one got worried when I said 'oh no', but I explained I had managed to knock a new toilet roll into the toilet bowl.
We waited for the ambulance, it didn't come, phone call after phone call, 'we are very busy' good thing I wasn't in cardiac arrest! I began to wonder whether a herbal supplement I had taken that morning could have caused the rapid heartbeat, and vowed not to take any more. I cheekily asked the physios what they did when I wasn't there to entertain them, they were actually on lunch break at the time.
I had to be moved to another cubicle, as there was to be a 'hip' class in the area I was in. Eventually, perturbed at the non appearance of the ambulance after 3 hours, the outpatients manager, obviously a trained nurse came, announced she would take my BP with an old fashioned pump up monitor, and declared it fine. They asked the duty Dr, and she said I could go, provided I saw my GP or went to an A&E. They took me in a wheelchair to the car, and soon we were on our way home. we had a very late lunch of soup
I rang the GP surgery, the emergency GP rang me back, said if I got down there pronto all she could do was check my BP, so I went. The first reading was a tad high, but on a second, the top had come down a lot and the bottom was 70. She went through my notes to check what she could give me to bring the top one down, realised we had tried everything, and said 'you're as bad as my mother, come and get it checked in a month'. I had a broken night with palpitations, not unusual for me when I am overtired, but next morning my pulse was 61, and my home monitor BP readings were ok. We will probably never know the cause, but husband suspects that I panicked a bit. He knows me so well.
Wednesday, I got the bus up to WW, I had stayed the same, which is nothing less than a miracle after the Stratford trip. I didn't stay to the class, but walked to Daughter's, where she made me a coffee and we discussed arrangements for the weekly shopping trip. She announced that Lydia had been lying on the floor on her back, and the next time her Daddy looked she was on her front! She has since demonstrated it again a few times, and has been seen to do it. Not bad as she won't be 5 months for another couple of weeks.
Daughter ran me home, and I had lunch, then got ready to go out again, C picked me up, and took me to parent and toddlers, where I did the refreshments, but someone else had to carry them through and wash up. Daughter picked me up, and brought the children in for a few minutes, but Nat wasn't with it, as he'd just woken from a nap. Later we headed off to Sainsbo's and did our shopping, Daughter also dropped some more bed linen and shirts for me at the ironers.
The rest of the week was quite uneventful, Women's hour on Thursday when we had the students from EMF, all young ladies from Russia, or Belarus, who spoke much better English than I speak Russian.
Sadly the weather has gone cold again and there were a few flakes of snow as we went to church this morning. No new pics to show, and I need to go and make a cuppa. I start dry land physio tomorrow, been banned from the hydro pool!

No comments:

Post a Comment