Monday 7 April 2014

Special Bithday part 2

I forgot to mention that on the Sunday, 23rd march, we had a preacher at church who we have known for many years. He frequently preached at the first church we attended, after our pastor had left to become a missionary. He was always good, always easy to listen to,and understand. Well that Sunday everyone seemed to enjoy his preaching,and of course he welcomed us as old friends.
On the Monday I decided to check up on the weather. It was going to be wet on Tuesday. Where could we go? Hatfield House, not open yet, nor Brockley Hall. Stowe not open yet, nor another place I checked. So I finally decided on Hughenden Manor.
Next morning I  opened lots of cards, some containing cheques or money, and one totally unexpected garden centre voucher. I may use that later to replace one of my orchids which seems to have died off.
We set off for Hughenden, which is quite near to High Wycombe. It was the country home of Benjamin Disraeli. The last thing I studied at school in History was that period, and I wish I had paid more attention.
There was the usual stable block, housing a gift shop, cafe, reception, and second hand bookshop. We browsed the gift shop, then the second hand bookshop, then decided to have lunch in the cafe. It definitely was not picnic weather. The sandwiches looked good, but were doorsteps. We decided on Jacket potatoes. I thought of soup, but I've eaten so much soup this winter, and it was a pea and leek. I'm not very fond of green soups, so jacket potatoes won.
Afterwards we walked across to the house. We didn't join an official tour, but 'did' the downstairs first. Husband decided to go into the basement next. Hughenden was taken over by the RAF during WW II, and it was all rather fascinating. There were maps showing the air raids that were plotted from there, all sorts of memorabilia, a room decked out as a shelter, with hurricane lamp, camp bed and chamber pot, and best of all, a 1940s sitting room, replicated from the one upstairs used by an RAF family. It was complete with radio playing 1940s music. Afterwards we climbed up to the first floor, where the rooms have been recreated as they would have been in Disraeli's time.
The second floor was more of a museum, but probably originally housed the servants.
By the time we had finished in the house, it had stopped raining, so we were able to go into the grounds to take more pictures. Then, carefully avoiding the tree felling that was going on, we made our way up to the old ice house, which again was decked out as in  World War II.



Ornate ceiling

 1940s sitting room



Disraeli bedroom


Victoria and Albert

Inkstand, papal gift

Ornate ceiling dining room
gardens
rear view of house

wartime in the ice house
We made a second visit to the gift shop, and then walked back to the car. As we drove along, I mentioned the chocolate shop in Wendover, so we headed over there, browsed an antique shop, and a charity shop, where we picked up a couple of cheap items, then into the chocolate shop, where I had Tea and husband had a hot chocolate. We couldn't resist  the treats on offer, and I had a slice of pavlova, and husband chocolate cake. Well it's not often that I have a special Birthday!
We drove home and had a bit of a rest before changing, and driving to St Michael's Manor for a meal. We were in the conservatory, where we were for our Daughter's wedding reception, 8 years ago this Summer. We were able to examine our surroundings more closely, as on that occasion we were somewhat preoccupied.The food was very good, modern English, and so beautifully arranged that one almost doesn't want to disturb it.
We both had a starter of pan seared scallops, with maple glazed, smoked, suckling rib, sweetcorn puree, bacon, popcorn and parsley foam, then Husband had venison loin and pie with mulled wine and valrhona, chestnut mushrooms, scorched chervil root and sprout petals, whilst  had Lemon sole with Langoustine, smoked fondant potato, glazed shallots, bouillabaise espuma, and split pea and lemon foam. All really lovely. Then husband had an apple  dessert, with a bavarois in it, and I had a pear galette, really thin pastry, with ice cream. Coffee and petit fours in the lounge, before I drove us home as husband had had a glass of wine.
Then I blew out candles on a tiny cake  had bought at a local bakers. I had thoroughly enjoyed my day. I skipped Weightwatchers the next day, as my tummy was a bit gippy. We had Lydia for 2 mornings only, as Son in Law is between jobs, but wants to spend time keeping his skills up before starting the next job.

No comments:

Post a Comment