Friday 28 November 2014

November notes

On the Saturday of our visit to Mum in Law, we did our usual walk into the village, husband went in the junk/charity shop, whilst I collected the Telegraph, then we wandered around the village and looked around the hardware shop. I love hardware shops, but unfortunately they  didn't have what husband was looking for.

The sea front a few miles form Mum in law's home

Later we took Mum in Law into Eastbourne and our first stop was C&H fabrics cafe for lunch. I had my usual goat's cheese and red onion tart, and the others had jacket potatoes. Then husband went to do his round of the charity shops, and we had a look in the materials section. Nothing really caught my eye, which is just as well as I haven't finished what I was making. I got discouraged when the zip wouldn't go in straight on the third try, and started what seemed a complicated method shown in the sewing machine manual, but still haven't got round to finishing it. Not going to get time to make many Christmas cards this year too.
Afterwards we went to Boots so I could print off a couple more photos for Mum in Law, then we went into M&S. I found some rather nice trousers and bought two pairs, my polyester ones were past their best, not terribly warm and quite old, so they have been consigned to a charity shop. Mum in law bought herself a couple of ready meals, for when she doesn't feel like cooking, and I found husband's favourite biscuits, so bought 2 tubs.
Next we went to Lakeland I wanted an icing tube, as mine had gone rusty. I do have icing bags, but find that they discolour so easily when I use coloured icing. I'm reluctant to use them for white piping in case the colour bleeds in, although the bags have been washed. Last year my cake was totally white. I also looked at the electric airers which they sell. They are supposed to use far less heat than a tumble drier,and dry quicker than an ordinary airer. I dislike the smell of clothes dried indoors,and am allergic to the smell of most fabric softeners. I get headaches and sneeze. Some of them can be so strong that I sneeze if the neighbour 2 doors away has used them.
I bought a couple of things, then decided we had done enough shopping  for one day, Mum in law walks slowly, holding my arm, so I can't rush around like I used to in Eastbourne.
I rang husband and we met up at the lifts for the car park, then we drove back to the bungalow via Pevensey Bay.
We had the beef casserole I had brought, then watched the festival of remembrance from the Royal Albert hall. It's not something we usually see, and with it being the 100 year anniversary of the start of WW1, there was an added poignancy. I was glad that they still give thanks to God, and sing some hymns.
Next day Mum in Law wasn't up as early as she had intended, but I pointed out she still had plenty of time to get to her service at the Anglican church. She was back before we set off for the local independent church, but this time said she wouldn't come, as she was tired. It wasn't a pleasant day, wet and windy, and we arrived early for the 2 minutes silence. It wasn't the usual minister, he was preaching elsewhere, but we still had a warm welcome. The service wasn't too long, so we went back and collected Mum in Law. It wasn't raining then, but we took the car to the local pub Restaurant, for the Sunday carvery. It was busier that day as there had  been a remembrance service at the war memorial, which is in the middle of a roundabout, just yards from the pub.The road through the village had been closed, but reopened in time for us to drive there.
Husband and I had the beef, Mum in Law turkey. She didn't want a dessert, just drank her J2o. We had black forest gateau, but it seemed to lack cherries. The young chap in the carvery was working very hard, but some of the girls were gossiping behind the bar instead of replenishing the roasties, stuffing, yorkshires etc. They looked like school girls who perhaps work there just at weekends. It was a pity really, as the place is good and was very busy.
We had coffee back at the bungalow, then spent the rest of the afternoon resting reading or dozing. After tea, Mum in Law watched one of her favourites on the God channel, then we naughtily watched Downton live. It was the last in the series and not a very happy episode. Some of the plot lines are repeated, but I don't want to give away too much to those who haven't seen it yet. there is to be a Christmas special,and even a series 6, so I hope it cheers up a bit.
The next morning we packed, checked that there were no jobs needing a man's hand, then left just before lunchtime. We had a good run to the services, where we had lunch, then quite a good run home, arriving at around 3.30 pm. I quickly turned the heating back on, and the hot water, and later I cooked a half shoulder of lamb with roasties.
I spent some time that week replanting some of the daffodil bulbs which I had taken from the pots last spring. I forgot to mention that I made it to the Women's hour bookstall the previous Thursday.
I took Lydia in the buggy, but by the time I got there she was fast asleep. I had a coffee, but no cake, I bought some Christmas cards, books for me to read to the children and a couple of small items for Mum in law's stocking. I must get around to asking her if there is anything she needs for Christmas. She probably is the hardest one to buy for, she doesn't use perfume, can't see well enough to read a book, it may well have to be vouchers again.
We minded the children that week again, relaxing on the Friday. The Saturday was one of our church fellowship days, the speaker was quite well known, and spoke about how his church grew in the 1970s. I think that there was quite a lot of growth in churches in the 1970s, perhaps not as much as he saw, but certainly more than we seem to be seeing today. He spoke on the needs such as prayer, commitment, unity and outreach. It is not a magic formula, but it was quite challenging. We had the usual lovely tea between meetings,and the usual mountains of washing up after.  He preached again on the Sunday morning, but not the evening as he had along journey home.
I haven't taken so many photos lately, but will try and find some to upload.so the blog isn't totally boring.
Ethan's breakfast, (see previous blog)
My new bike

I did buy an icing tube and an airer, but I bought them online. The airer is ok, obviously nowhere near as quick
as the tumble dryer, takes abut 6-8 hours depending on the fabric. I don't ,eave it on overnight, for safety reasons. We will have to wait for the electricity bill to see if it has gone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment