Friday 29 May 2015

May musings

We had two visiting speakers again in church Sunday of the week before last they were both quite good, it's hard getting used to different styles of preaching, but unfortunately this is what happens in an interregnum period.
On the Monday it was a lovely day, and we decided a bike ride was in order. We set off along the canal bank, but my tyres seemed to be inflated to the maximum, and I found it bumpier then ever! Through sheer determination I managed to get to the top of one of the little hills before the locks, but most of them defeated me. We rode as far as the Waitrose store in Berkhamsted, and that meant I could use their toilet, buy the paper, and a fresh bottle of water too. I also bought us a Mars bar each. We hadn't had lunch, but I thought it would sustain us on the way back. There were 2 stretches on the way back where we managed to go along quiet back roads. The locks were all downhill too, but I did stop a couple of times as I was a bit saddle sore. Husband was wearing padded shorts under his trousers. In total we did 11+ miles, which was odd as we did 6+ on the way there. I brought my bike into the garden to touch up some paint which had chipped off the mudguard, probably that time in the winter when I slipped on the hump back bridge and dropped the bike.
Someone extended their garden to Islands in the river


Arriving at Berkhamsted


getting ready for the return journey
The totem pole

I wasn't too sore on the Tuesday, the weather was quite fine again, my only exercise that day was a walk to the shops in town. I'd been having trouble getting to sleep for a while, so had started having warm milk with a dash of Sweet Freedom, a natural sweetener, before bed. This had stopped working and I had 2 really bad nights. It probably didn't help that I'd been reading the Poldark novels again, due to them being on TV and iplayer recently.
So on Wednesday, when I went to Sainsbury's, I bought some Ovaltine. When I had to stay in hospital after the birth of both of my children, it was always my bedtime drink. The hospitals must save a fortune now that new Mums are only in for 8-10 hours. We always were in 8 days for the first, 5 for the second. That meant that we had 3 meals a day, tea and biccies at 4pm, then a choice of drink before bedtime. There were also free nappies, free formula, or dextrose, baby gowns, and free breast pads.
I digress, the Ovaltine has worked, and I'm trying not to read too much Poldark before bed. I was up earlier on Wednesday, got to the supermarket earlier, and husband had his walk into town earlier. We collected Lydia, our Daughter had gone early, but her husband is  between jobs again, it seems to be a hazard in his line of work, so he can be available if we are late. Although he has interviews, and tests to perform, so we still take the children.
On the Thursday, the weather changed, I'd been wearing summer skirts and sandals, but we woke to pouring rain that morning. So it was back to long sleeve t shirts and trousers, there was areal underlying coldness as well. I left Lydia with her Granddad whilst I went to the shops, as she would have been behind rain covers. After lunch I asked if she wanted a nap, and she nodded so I put her  in the cot. I came down and she was singing away, we could hear her on the baby alarm, I was thinking of going up to bring her back down stairs, my own eyes were closing, due to my previous lack of sleep. Suddenly, it went quiet, so I  had a short doze, but was awake long before she was. When her brother came home from school he was very good and didn't waken her, so I let her sleep a bit longer.
However I'm alawys conscious that she won't sleep at night if she naps to late, so I did wake her up.
She was pretty dopey, so I reckon she would have slept much longer.
On the Friday, our Son and his wife and Ethan arrived in time for lunch. They were dropping Tom off on their way to the airport, for a holiday in Spain They had 'won' the accommodation free, just by test driving a car. They were staying in a hotel at the airport, overnight, as they had an early flight in the morning.
Saturday morning husband took the car to be cleaned, so I took Tom for a run on the field, then we drove into town, minus Tom to get the weekend shopping. In the afternoon I took Tom to the field near to Daughter's home. I needed to pop to the shops, but didn't want to take Tom, so left him at Daughter's home for a while, much to the delight of the children.
Tom after affection again

No comments:

Post a Comment