Sunday 3 July 2016

April antics

As usual, the newspaper carried jokes and spoof stories, and adverts on April 1st and we had fun spotting them. We had driven down to Bexhill to visit Mum in Law on the Thursday, It was husband's Bitrthday on the Saturday, we went into Eastbourne on the Friday as usual, then Bexhill on the Saturday,  looked around the shops and had lunch, then it rained as we ate ice cream on the promenade.  In the evening we had dinner at the Cooden beach hotel, Husband's birthday treat. I had tried to book Sunday lunch at the inn in the village, but it was closed for refurbishment. So after church on the Sunday, we took Mum in law to the hydro in Eastbourne for Sunday lunch. For some reason, she decided that it was not up to the usual standard, and also decided that the waiter had taken a dislike to her, which was inexplicable to us, as he had gone out of his way to provide something for her for dessert which fitted in with her self diagnosed milk intolerance. Sadly we had to come home in the Sunday afternoon, as I had an appointment with my osteopath on the Monday, which had already been changed once. He doesn't want to see me for 6 months so that was good.
Husband sits eating his ice cream in the rain


Cake and candles in Bexhill

The family came round for late cake and candles. They later went off for a week in Derbyshire, as the Easter school holiday was later than Easter. They had a good time dodging the rain, spending time time at the heights of Abraham. We put their bin out for them, then on the Monday, walked up in the pouring rain to put their bin back, we needed the exercise you see.
On the 14th,it was dry enough for us to go for a  shortish bike ride to a bridge over the canal, then back part way along roads, before rejoining the canal towpath. We had some rare sunshine, and spent some time in the garden one day, I pulled up Spanish bluebells, and we both cleaned the mud from our bikes.

Came under a bridge and there he was!

On the 23rd, we packed up the car, loaded the bikes onto to the bike rack, and set off for a week in North Wales, staying in the bungalow we had stayed in last April. This time I remembered to take the correct mattress topper, which reduced the hardness of the bed. We  arrived fairly late in the Friday evening, and went out and got fish and chips, well I had fishcake, not being keen on battered fish.
On the Saturday, we thought we would go into Prestatyn, we had a browse round the shops, and looked for somewhere to have lunch. Most places were very unimaginative in their lunches, maybe we should have gone to M&S. In the end, I asked for a panini somewhere, and was given what turned out to be a toasted sandwich, ordinary white bread. It's not the first time this has happened. We spent the evening with my sister.
On the Sunday, we got confused as to the time of the church service in Rhuddlan, and would have ended up being late, so listened to a sermon instead. Our Son and his wife came over for Sunday lunch with Ethan and baby Elise, and after lunch I picked up my Sister, and she came to meet the baby. After tea the family went home, and later I took my sister back. We did not see my niece, her husband had had a shock bereavement in the family, and they had to sort matters out.
On the Monday, it was too cold and windy for me to ride my bike, husband didn't want to leave his unattended in Rhyl, so we drove in. He went for a haircut,and we went to our usual place for lunch. Later, he went for a bike ride alone, as it was still windy, and the wind affects my asthma. We spent the evening with my sister, and her potty Jack Russell.
On the Tuesday, we set off  for Llandudno. I hadn't packed gloves, my hands were really cold. we had lunch in the Cottage Loaf, I toured the shops looking for gloves. Everyone had their summer hats and floaty scarves in,  I walked as far as BHS, they were closing down,and I managed to pick up a couple of cheap v neck t shirts, as  M&S are not doing nice ones for the 3rd year running. I did find a mint coloured cardigan and jumper in M&s, which I hadn't been able to find locally. They should go with  a skirt I was sewing. Eventually I found cheap gloves in an outdoor shop. later that evening we ventured out on our bikes round the back roads, less windy, and almost reached Prestatyn station.
 I had said we wouldn't go to Chester, as we had recently been, but the weather did look as if it was going to be slightly better on the Wednesday, so we drove over and used the park and ride. there was a shower, but we were under cover at the time. I spent some time walking round streets away from the shops,and found many changes. Lots of flats near the church where we were married. I managed to find a couple more cheap t shirts in the Chester BHS too, pink and red this time.
Cold walk near Rhyl


Gull in cemetery
The family from Birmingham were unable to visit this time, the Thursday was so cold and dismal, that after I had visited the cemetery to put flowers on my parents grave, we had lunch in the bungalow, then stayed in reading and dozing, and starting our packing, whilst the rain pelted down outside. Thankfully the bungalow was quite snug. We visited my sister for one last evening, the next day were up early, and packed, bikes loaded, and left at 9.40 am.  We didn't stop in Cheshire,and were glad to get home. Not an inspiring week weatherwise.





No comments:

Post a Comment