Saturday 9 July 2016

May meanderings

April ended as a cold month, May however started more promisingly. It was sunny and warm, we didn't do anything special for the Bank Holiday, but our Son and his wife and family visited Mum in Law, so that she could meet the baby. She declared her gorgeous.
The long awaited second series of Hinterland became available on iplayer, so we watched that. There was a lot of emotion in it still some darkness, and a cliffhanger ending, fortunately they are planning a third series, but it's a long while to have to wait. The actor who plays the tortured detective Tom Mathias is also Andrew Blamey in Poldark, so must be rather busy.
We went for a bike ride early in the month, and I had this mad idea to see how far I could ride up a hump backed bridge. I didn't get far, but as I stopped the ground was uneven, so my foot didn't go where I intended,and I ended up in a heap, tangled up with the bike. I felt pretty stupid, so was glad only my husband saw it. We carried on when I had recovered, but then discovered they were working on the towpath to the South, so went north for a short ride.  We witnessed a short skirmish between swans on the canal. A couple of days we were off to the garden centre  stocked up on bedding plants, and various other things to get the garden ready for summer.
Swan skirmish


Look who is back in residence in the garden centre

We received a small box of very expensive chocolates from our energy supplier as a 'thank you' for staying with them. Our Daughter rang us and arranged at trip to the big garden centre. We had lunch there quite early before the rush started, then stocked up on a few things needed for planting out pots. Daughter had to be back in time for school pick up.
The weather was quite warm, so we turned our mattress to the 'summer side', then put on a lighter duvet. however the really hot spell didn't last, and although it stayed warmer than April, we had lots and lots of rain. However on 17th May it was dry enough for us to ride to Berkhamsted, and get lunch at Waitrose, which we ate sitting on an old ornamental lock gate, near the canal.
heron


former boat store, now a posh residence

The babies were out in force


I spent a lot of time redoing my flower pots, husband got rid of the vine completely,and I was able to plant flowers in both beds.
Rather annoyingly, I began to get toothache whenever I ate anything cold, but it is difficult to know which out of 3 teeth it is. One has a crown, so possibly also a root canal filling too. However we have an appointment in July so will try and hang on till then.
It was Mum In Law's Birthday near the end of May, so we went down for a couple of days. As usual spent time in Eastbourne, and we took her out for a meal. She didn't give a good report of Sunday lunch at the pub in the village,and seemed to have taken against the Hydro, so I decided it would have to be the Cooden Beach again. We went at lunchtime, but they don't have a different menu from dinner these days, unless you eat in the bar area. As usual  I had fish, and a cheesecake for dessert. It looked too pretty to eat.In Eastbourne I treated myself to a garden kneeler with handles, so that I can getup  easily. It works a treat.
My dessert

Grandma eats chocolate Birthday cake

Sadly, I returned home with a UTI, which I tried to treat at home, but without success. So on the Saturday morning, I ended up at the 24 hr drop in GP service at what remains of our hospital. I saw a lovely GP, who explained my sample results to me, and wrote me a prescription for an antibiotic, but just a 3 day course.
We also took a short trip to the big family run garden centre, for a certain standard fuchsia, but they were only doing them in bush form this year, so I got one and it was much cheaper.


No comments:

Post a Comment