Tuesday 23 August 2016

J J part 4

On the first Friday of our holiday, the weather seemed still unsettled. I walked into the village to buy a newspaper, I was beginning to find my way around, then later we set off for our chosen destination, Sandringham was not far. Husband remembers the railway station where the Queen used to alight, Wolferton. He spent quite a lot of time cycling in the area as a teenager, but says that it was so much quieter on the roads in those days, 1962-1965.
 Sandringham is a huge estate, eventually we found a parking area, and then crossed to the shops and restaurant etc We peeked in at the restaurant, but decided on the terrace coffee shop instead. We chose baguettes, toasted with Welsh rarebit, and rather tasty brownies. It was mild enough to sit outside. The food was good, but a bit rich for me.  Afterwards we had a potter round the shops, and then crossed over the open space to buy tickets at the entrance. It was suggested that we did the woodland walk as a pretty route to the house. It was indeed pretty. My back however was playing up a bit so I might have been better with a shorter route.

Woodland walk

The house

One of the first Royal cars
Prince Charles' first car, (toy)
Sports car given to Charles

 Before we went away, I had been taking antibiotics. Unfortunately, these had the effect of sparking off my IBS, so I was getting lots of bloating and discomfort, and finding my trousers uncomfortably tight, so I asked if we could go back to Kings Lynn, to M&S for a bigger pair. I don't think that the beta blockers help much as I can't lose much weight as they slow me down. I'd also been eating more bread, as the 'welcome pack' consisted of milk, bread from the local bakery, cheese and  a bottle of red wine. We rarely eat bread at home. It took us a while to get into Kings Lynn, it being a Saturday.
However, we got there eventually, I duly purchased trousers, and then we had lunch in the M&S cafe. I would have worn skirts more, but the weather just wasn't what we are used to on holiday. I was still hunting for a certain take home gift for Nathaniel, so we looked round a few shops, then I told husband I would like to look for the places I had seen signs to before, St Luke's and The Walks. We found the signposts,and after walking a distance, found St Luke's. It was another old monastery, ruined by Henry VIII, and of course Cromwell's forces. After a bit of wandering, we found The Walks, which is a huge park area, there is also a ruined wall from the civil war defences,and a strange old chapel, which despite being Catholic was still in place.
St Luke's tower

The Walks

Catholic chapel

Civil war defence 

We could have enjoyed the walks further, but I was beginning to flag, so we found our way back to the car park, and found that the traffic out of Kings Lynn had eased a lot. It had been quite pleasant day, but often if it was pleasant in the day, it rained in the evening, or overnight.
The Sunday was spent fairly simply, we listened to another sermon, then walked into the village for a pre booked Sunday lunch.  In the evening we went for a short  cycle ride around the village, and to the South beach. Sadly the weather forecast was not looking wonderful for our second week.
South beach

No comments:

Post a Comment