Friday 19 August 2016

June journeyings part 3

I actually wrote this awhile ago, but didn't get round to uploading pics. On the first Wednesday of our holiday, we decided to go to Kings Lynn, I didn't know much about Kings Lynn, so was eager to explore. We found a car park,and walked to the town centre, coming out near the very old cinema, The Majestic I think it was called. There was a large shopping area, and we found that one of the department stores, Beales, was closing down. I needed to buy a couple of things,including plastic clips for the bag of frozen peas, and the bag of oats. I went upstairs and discovered that there was a sale of toys, so bought gifts for 3 of the Grandchildren at a reduced price.
Afterwards we wandered around the streets trying to get our bearings, then found somewhere for lunch. Then we followed the direction signs for the river,and found some very interesting things to read and look at. We wandered down an old cobbled street, and found an antique shop, with one lady inside another sitting in the doorway. It was a huge place, but rather dusty, and affected my asthma, so I popped outside to use my Bricanyl and got chatting to the lady outside. I commented on the fact that we had kept on hearing aircraft, but despite scanning the skies, could not see any. she told me that they fly above the cloud, we'd certainly had a lot of cloud, and that we were quite near to Marham airfield, also there are a couple of big airfields in Suffolk; mystery solved.
We then saw signs to the mediaeval quarter, so went and explored there. Then as we rounded a corner, there was the Minster. I'd had no idea that it existed. There are various tablets in the wall outside, recording how high the floods have been in the past. Quite an eye opener.
We went into the Minster, and had a look around, It is quite impressive. There is a lot of History to Kings Lynn, it was once called Bishop's Lynn.
Custom house


statue of Captain Vancouver

Harbour

Minster

Inside Minster


We found our way back to the car park eventually, and then drove to what must be the biggest Sainsbury's I have ever seen. We stocked up on food, and husband bought some meat to make a meal, as there was even a slow cooker in the cottage. They had some beautiful ballet dresses leotards and practice skirts in the children's clothing. Lydia has started ballet lessons, I tried to ring my daughter, but was unable to get her, so didn't buy any ballet clothes.
On the Thursday morning, I ventured out on my bike for the first time.husband had been out for short rides round the village, but often, if it wasn't raining, the road was wet. There was no longer a newsagents in the village, but there were 2 food shops that did sell papers. I never shop at one  of them, so it had to be the second. We rode round there, and picked up the Telegraph, and I discovered that there was also a free cash machine in the store.
Then, following, husband's directions, we rode to the North beach, only one small hill. As cycling is not permitted on the  very wide promenade, we started off on the back road to Hunstanton. It is an access road for caravan parks, and expensive looking sea front houses. Sadly, after the first couple of hundred yards or so it is full of potholes, the potholes were full of water, and riding was so unpleasant, so we turned back.
The weather looked a bit uncertain, but we decided we would like to go to Norfolk Lavender, which is actually in Heacham. Husband decided to cycle there, but I wasn't keen due to the threat of rain. So I took the car. He had set off before me, but I caught him up at the traffic lights, which are on the main road. I duly parked the car, and he was going to leave the bike behind it, but I thought it was too vulnerable, so we managed to manoeuvre it into the boot. Then we set off, to explore. there is a lovely big farm shop there, I could have spent hours, and a fortune in. the lavender wasn't quite in full bloom. we found a nature walk which was rather pleasant. The weather was not looking good so we made our way to the shop and cafe. The building is an old  mill. the water wheel has gone but the mill race is still there.
It was a bit confusing over where we ordered meals, but eventually we ordered jacket potatoes, and they had gorgeous looking cakes, so we each had a slice. Mine was filled and decorated with lavender butter cream. then we spent ages looking around the plants outside; looking for little treats to take home for family, and generally potching around. Husband decided he would quite like to try and ride further, after we had been back in the farm shop, and bought some cheese, chutney,and a 'cake' of dates and nuts. I said I would carry on browsing as there was a field with animals I wanted to see. I duly paid the 'senior rate' and crossed the small river, to where groups of  school children were calling to each other excitedly, as they ran around. however just as I left the field, it began to rain so I dodged into a fancy furniture selling barn, but it didn't stop. As I got to the car husband rang. He was back at the cottage, but had the garage key so could shelter. I said I'd be with him soon. I managed to find my way back, it is such a big village and a bit confusing. Soon we were cosy, and enjoying a hot drink,and planning our next venture.
 Old mill where the shop is
mill building

Mill race

One of the farm animals

No comments:

Post a Comment