Sunday 26 September 2010

Husband, hospital appointment and Harvest

Last week was a bit productive in that I managed to take a third bag to the charity shop. Husband's back was still not good so he stayed at home on Monday and I managed to get a verdict on some of his old trousers and quite a few videos. I also managed to sort some of his papers and get them into the filing cabinet. I need more files though so have had  to suspend proceedings. I nipped over to see daughter after visiting charity shop, husband was having a rest on the bed and was in a deep sleep. I spent Tuesday trying to catch up on jobs around the house and started hemming some nets I bought months ago. By the time they are up the matching ones will be grey! I don't really like net curtains, but we are on a main road and a bus route and it can be like living in a goldfish bowl. I would prefer vertical blinds, but they would not be easy to fit and I'd have to chuck out all my orchids and other windowsill plants.
On Wednesday I went to Daughter's so that we could go to Sainsbury's together, but Baby was feeding, and as I was on a tight schedule went alone. After lunch I went back as she had said it would be nice to come to our parent and toddler group at church. Baby was feeding again, but when he had finished I quickly washed changed and put clean clothes on him whilst daughter had a shower. We arrived a bit late, me full of apologies, especially when I found out I should have been doing registration. I thought I was down for refreshments. The other lovely ladies were very forgiving though, especially as I had brought a new member. Daughter enjoyed some adult conversation too.Another newish Grandma from church brought her Daughter in law, and 6 week old Grandchild. They were even later than us, which made daughter realise that she is not the only one who struggles to get anywhere at times.
After this Daughter wanted to go to Sainsbury's, so I ended up trailing round there for a second time in one day.We worked out how to fit the car seat on to the special trolleys and were away. I did buy something I had forgotten though.
As we were going through the checkout Baby woke again and it was evident that he was ready to feed again, so whilst Daughter did the necessary, I  walked over to Homebase to buy a smoke alarm for them.  It's quite swish, it has an escape light attached. I timed it just right and he had finished his feed. Daughter was saying that she has fed him in  Boots car park,  a Tesco's one, and now Sainsbury's. I joked that she ought to visit Waitrose, as it would be upmarket to feed him on their car park.
On Thursday I visited an old friend for coffee, for a catch up. She had insisted I took the photo's of the Baby, so he was coed over again. By the time I had got home, diverting to Tesco's to use their loos and buy the papers it was quite late. I had a quick lunch, but then fell asleep just as I should have been leaving for ladies meeting.
On Friday daughter rang to say that the baby's appointment had come through for next Tuesday to get his tongue tie seen to. This is a real answer to prayer for both of them. He was weighed at the clinic and has put on over 2lb since birth. Afterwards,  Daughter came round here so I abandoned the ironing for some cuddle time.
Yesterday  we did our usual walk to town and back up on the bus. Lunch at home, then  bit of a doze. I phoned one sister who had been away, and heard of their adventures staying in a Hotel in the centre of Manchester. This included her husband slipping into a 'hypo', he is diabetic, and summoning a paramedic or two. They decided that the room was so hot that he had sweated all the sugar form his body, and the management, who had already said the room was too hot upgraded them to a suite.Not nice way of getting an upgrade.
It was a bit of a mystery trip, as they booked a hotel with  a certain chain, and were allocated a hotel, not finding out which one till a week before. Still at least they didn't get one in their own city!
 I ironed some bed linen, and just as i finished they arrived with Baby, and after some quick instructions they left again to go to a concert, which was Daughter's Birthday treat, her husband had bought the tickets not realising how much attention 4 week old babies need. They could not cancel or sell the tickets, so asked us if we could babysit. We managed quite well, I even managed to cook dinner for the two of us. Daughter had left some formula, and after using it twice with all the faff of boiling the kettle leaving it to cool, mixing it up, then cooling it down, I was so glad I had breastfed. No sterilising to do either. During this time I managed to also phone the other sister, but it was a short call as she was out walking the dog and her battery went.
We only had one text to ask if all was ok. Husband discovered he hasn't lost his touch with getting babies to sleep, and I dealt with the nappy and clothes change. On their return daughter was grateful, but said she felt she was missing something vital.  I remember that feeling too.
We have Harvest Festival at church today, lots of lovely fruit veg and flowers and the old harvest hymns. Daughter and Son in Law came for lunch as their day out had had to be cancelled. I didn't get much cuddle time as Son in Law was dozing on the sofa with Baby asleep on his chest. They had had an early start this morning as he wanted to give Daughter a lie-in.
 They left a while ago as they have a friend coming to worship the baby visit them. They are hoping he will allow them to get to the evening service. Tomorrow we get together to distribute the harvest, always a good time of fellowship. Harvest over what's next? Bonfire Night I suppose

No comments:

Post a Comment