Monday 6 September 2010

De-cluttering, dogs home, and driving

Well not quite such an exciting week last week. I did get one quote from a plumber about the sludge in the system, but interestingly he said, 'The gas engineers often claim this but it's usually something else that is causing the problem'  Apparently systems are usually flushed out when a new boiler is installed. We had a new boiler installed about 6 years ago,but I do not recall any talk of flushing systems, and as the system is over 30 years old.... I must get another quote, but plumbers are so hard to get hold of when you phone, I guess they are all busy plumbing (and making money judging by at least one I have had). We had a lovely plumber years ago who fitted our new tank,  and I think he flushed the system, but he is no longer in the book.

On Tuesday the 'other Grandparents' came up, so I popped in to see them. They brought one of their sons with them too, so all male hands were utilised to put the new bed together. It looks very swish and comfortable, and I tried out the mattress. I think I could have fallen asleep on it, so maybe it's time we had a new mattress. I am sleeping better but still getting to bed too late, and have had some disturbed nights with cattarh problems and indigestion. M has trained as a masseur, and when I complained of shoulder pain I got an impromptu shoulder massage. I tell you what, he found tender spots where I didn't know I had tender spots! I am far too tense I know that, but how does one find a decent masseur without straying into the decidedly dodgy stuff? M lives in Kent so I cannot become a regular customer.

I am  still on my mission to de-clutter a bit, but pinning down husband to go through old videos is not easy, he always has something else more pressing to do. Still 2 bags to the charity shop in less than a week, and a third started isn't bad going. I'm planning a trip to the dump later on, and will buy yet more storage boxes to help sort stuff, every time we get some together one or other of the offspring moves, and the  empty boxes  are refilled with their stuff and  go with them never to return.

On Friday I managed the long anticipated trip to the dogs home with the bag of towels. We had passed the new location when we came back from the church barbecue a few weeks ago, so now I knew where to go.
The lady who took them was so grateful. I avoided looking at the dogs as it would be too tempting, and with a new baby in the family I think it would be so unwise.

The dogs home is not far from the small market town where the in-laws used to live, so I drove over there and parked. I had a wander round the High Street and bought a few items in the lovely hardware shop there. The bag they gave me had the logo of a chain group on it, but this particular chain seems to buy up hardware stores and keep them more or less as they are. I'm afraid hardware shops and stationery shops are more of a draw to me than clothes shops these days. Most clothes shops seem designed for the under 30s with cheap throw away fashion. There are few that serve the more mature customer, who dreads looking like mutton dressed as lamb, and have a decent price range. After eating an M&S sandwich in the church square in the sunshine I got in the car and drove off round the scenic route home.The by pass is very quick but oh so boring, so I meandered around country roads. Just think how nice it will be when husband retires and we can have days out like this. My neighbour from round the back called with a gift for the baby  and was disappointed to hear I had called round with him on Sunday. Apparently they were not out and their bell doesn't work properly and the dog is going deaf.

The weather has been decent in fact even hot and sunny this past week. We did our usual walk to town on Saturday, but the bags were far too heavy to carry up the hill so we hopped on a bus, We lunched at home.
Not much work was done in the front garden, but it is coming together.

Yesterday daughter and son in law came for lunch, but little Nathaniel was not happy, and had one of those 'explosive' nappies that didn't quite get caught by the nappy, so he had an impromptu bath in our wash basin. Fortunately they had brought lots of spare clothes. They also unwrapped about half a dozen more gifts received whilst at church that morning. Neighbour was away so I couldn't take him there, but he was not happy seeming to need lots of feeding. he has gained about 1lb since his birth less than 2 weeks ago. They give the weight in grams , but I find pounds sound much more impressive.

We had a different speaker yesterday, the son of the former pastor. Our pastor is away having a break. We always appreciate him more when he returns. Well I must go, I am supposed to be finishing off the voile curtain the sewing of which was interrupted by daughter's labour. happy days

1 comment:

  1. p.s, little Nathaniel was probably unhappy as he's caught a cold from his Mum, bless him he's not yet 2 weeks

    ReplyDelete