Tuesday 31 August 2010

That was the week that was!

Well it was quite a week in many ways. On Monday afternoon daughter came round so that I could help her with some voile curtains. I got my sewing machine out, and we completed the living room curtain. She was also typing something on the computer to do with the non return of their deposit on the flat which they rented. She was not her usual bright self, and was complaining of backache, saying that she must have overdone the gardening at the weekend. A mother's instinct told me to say that she needed to start timing how often the backache came and warn her that she could be in early labour. She ended up resting on our bed until her husband came to collect her.
My husband was on a course last week in London, and came home complaining about the trains. He hasn't commuted to London on a regular basis for about 8 years, and had had to stand all the way to Euston. I had a strange phone call at about 10.45 pm, I could hear Daughter talking to her husband but then the line went dead. I did pray ' Lord if this baby is to be born soon, will you make it come quickly please'
Next morning I was a little late rising,due to my poor sleeping habit, and my answering machine was beeping as I went from the kitchen into the living room. I duly discovered the number and rang it only to have daughter answer and say ' Hello Mum you have a Grandson' He was being weighed as we spoke and I could hear his protests! He was 7lb.11.5 oz. Daughter told me that her waters had broken at 10.30pm, and the call I had was originally to tell me, as they were gathering stuff to go and be assessed. She had thought better of telling me, and I had missed a text from her husband sent just before midnight. Just as well as I would have only lain awake worrying.
They actually sent her home at midnight, and only re admitted her when she felt she really couldn't cope any longer. She used the birthing pool and only had gas and air, and the baby arrived at 7.45 am. I did not get to see her in the hospital. but went up to their home as she arrived home just after 4pm. Needless to say I took my camera.
On Wednesday after my usual Sainsbury's visit I spent 2 hours in the afternoon waiting for the gas engineer to come and service the boiler. He didn't arrive, so I rang them up, and was told he would not be there anytime soon, so I rebooked for Friday. This time he did ring to say he would be late,  and  when he arrived did a very thorough inspection. He told me that we have sludge in the system, which is why that radiator didn't come on last winter. He said if I didn't get the system flushed out before winter the boiler would seize up and pack up. His estimate was £ 695! He did say by all means get another couple of estimates, so I  now have to start the task of finding a decent heating engineer again.
 On Sunday Daughter and husband came for lunch and the baby went to sleep on my arm, which was very pleasant We put daughter's old bed back in her room, and she went up for a rest. They decided on Saturday he would be Nathaniel James.
At about 4.30pm the door opened and our son and his wife and a friend came in, they had been in the South of France camping for a week, their car had had a problem with a broken alternator belt, fortunately they had extended their RAC cover, and they got a free hire car. Unfortunately one of their party had to get back, and Son's wife also had to be back for work, so they came back in the hire car.
Our Son and their friend shared the driving, so she was going to go back with Son, but yesterday I got a call to say that  the car was ready and his wife had managed to get some more time off, so she was going too. They were due to cross the channel at about 10pm last evening, Son also is not due back till Friday at work. They are staying at Avignon overnight tonight, and hope to return tomorrow in their own car. Please pray that the journey will be uneventful. They do rather seem to be going through a patch of trials at the moment.
On a more positive note, daughter's landlord rang whilst they were still at the hospital, apologised, said he had been out of the country ( for 2 months?) and that the cheque was in the post, so now they are a bit better off.
The Bank holiday was spent partly in the garden working, but I'd had a bad night on Sunday so I didn't achieve as much as I wanted to.  Well I'd better go and get on, the other grandparents are coming up today, and I want to pop in to see them as I haven't seen them for 18 months. I have promised not to steal their cuddle time

No comments:

Post a Comment