Sunday 15 August 2010

Every day it's a-getting closer, (apologies to Buddy Holly)

This has not really been a week packed with activity, just the usual routine stuff. I did have an awful night when I couldn't sleep till about 5 a m, and have been trying to catch up ever since. The trouble is some mornings I oversleep and by the time I've caught up with myself it's lunchtime!
I managed to get the baby jacket finished as you can see from the picture. It is for when the baby is older, the parents to be are pleased with the finished jacket, so am I. At one point I began to worry I might not have enough wool. I'll swear I began to knit faster. It's a bit like when you are about to run out of petrol and you find yourself accelerating to get to the petrol station before you run out. I bought the wool in Lyme Regis, so it would have been a looong trip to buy some more, and I couldn't find it for sale on the web.
Talking of holidays, whilst we were away we accidentally came across a film of a Catherine Cookson book, and were watching it before going out. I got fed up of waiting for it to end, and so we turned it off. Not having seen the beginning or end, I said I wouldn't mind seeing it. Last weekend in Watford I found a copy on DVD, it was quite inexpensive, so I bought it. It is called A Dinner of Herbs, and was actually a t v series in 6 parts.
I had forgotten how bleak Catherine Cookson stories can be, and one of the characters was a bit hot headed, and his favourite saying seemed to be 'If I see him again, I'll kill him'. Well at least I know now how it began, we had come in halfway through, and I now know how it ends. I don't think I will watch it again, so it's probably one for the charity shop bag. Certainly last week's Nanny McPhee and the big bang was a lot lighter.
Daughter went to the midwife on Thursday, and apparently it could happen any time soon. She is still fretting about the house being straight, but I have told her the baby won't notice, and won't be running its fingers along the skirting boards saying 'Look at the muck in here'
The weather has been very mixed this week from a bright sunny day, through grey and overcast, to torrential downpours. According to the papers we can expect rain till October, but they certainly got today's forecast wrong.
Late yesterday afternoon we set off for Essex to see Son and Daughter in law. We felt quite guilty not having been before, but weekends  have been so hectic. Having seen the flat, we now know why they find it so depressing. You couldn't swing the proverbial, and it's not in the most salubrious area. Son cooked us a lovely Mexican style meal, and we also had lemon tart. He was regaling us with stories of his life as a delivery driver, some quite hairy! They will find their home in the North quite docile after this. We got home at about 10.30 pm, the M25 was a bit quieter.
After church this morning Daughter and Son in law came for lunch. She is not sleeping well at night and had fallen back to sleep so had missed church. We had a good bit of beef and I'd done a crumble. It was a bit too breezy to eat outside. After lunch 3 of us feel asleep by degrees, and Son in  law washed up and then gently woke L in time to get her to church. We had 2 good sermons today, then communion this evening. Everyone stood around chatting for ages, we didn't get home till nearly 9, but it's good to  have fellowship. I wonder what this next week will bring?.

No comments:

Post a Comment