Sunday 9 October 2011

The Autumn leaves have turned to gold

The beautiful weather of  last week came to an end this week. Monday was still fine, I went out for my usual walk in the morning, I had a physio appointment, but not until the afternoon. I managed to find a parking space in the shade, and when the physio asked how I had been, I remembered suddenly, I have hardly any pain these days. I did however remark that my shoulder had felt weak whilst I was filling the watering can. I had had to water all the plants as some were looking quite dry in the heat. She showed me some more exercises to do, one involving pushing a ball up a wall. She said she would like to see me one more time.
From the hospital I went to the big garden centre. I needed to repot one of my orchids, but couldn't find an outer pot big enough to take the new plastic pot. I was quite thirsty because of the heat, and hadn't taken a bottle of water so I went in their cafe and had a fruit juice, and bought a bottle of water. I found a pot big enough, rang husband to ask if he needed anything, and he asked for crocus and snowdrops to plant in troughs.I also bought gravel to stand in the outer pot to keep the orchid  just above the water level.
On Tuesday, After doing some housework, and walking I decided to repot some of my orchids. I went into the shed to find  orchid compost, and thought, I really must clear out this shed, it hadn't been done for ages. I eventually found the orchid compost, but carried on with the tidying. There was spillled compost all over the floor, here and there chewed up bits of paper, where the field mice that take refuge in there had made nests. I got everything out, including husband's rusty old bike, the saddle of that also nibbled by mice. For ages we had discussed taking it to the dump as he hasn't ridden it for years. There are 2 bikes in my rented garage, one left by Son the other by Daughter, so even if we did decide to go for a bike ride we wouldn't need 3! I phoned husband to get the go ahead, and he said 'I suppose so'.  I managed to get it in my Fiesta, plus odd bits of furniture that had never been repaired, an old mini barbecue, an old shower curtain rod, and a few bits and bobs.
After a trip to the dump I got out a broom and tried to sweep up the mess. Eventually I finished off with the Dyson, put back the various tools in a new place,stacked the composts so they were easier to find, and went indoors to repot the orchid. At least we can now get both feet into the shed, although I'm leaving husband to sort out more of his junk his discarded possessions. I did one orchid, then decided another needed repotting. Later I vacuumed upstairs and down the stairs. Every now and again I seem to get a burst of energy and work like mad all day long. Unfortunately it doesn't last long.
When I got up on Wednesday, husband had already gone. He was off to Bristol for a meeting and was picked up by a colleague. I  decided to use his car, as his garage is nearer. At Weight watchers I had lost one whole pound. so that takes care of last week's half pound rise. The computer had been playing up, so I had to come home to print out my shopping list. I was late getting to Sainsbury's but had a fairly uneventful shopping trip. I unloaded the cold stuff and put it away, then decided I was starving. I'd only had fruit before being weighed. I quickly made up a wrap using some goats cheese and cold roasted veg which I had done the day before. As I ate it, it fell to pieces, so i ended up eating it with a knife and fork.
I unpacked more shopping then decided I needed a rest. I hadn't been sleeping well since Sunday, the herbal tablets weren't working, and I was tired after the previous day's efforts. I sat down and drifted off to sleep, As I awoke, around 3.15, I suddenly realised someone was coming through the living room door.'Can't be Daughter', I thought, 'she comes round the back'. It suddenly dawned it was husband, home early. I was pleased to see him, he was pleased to be home. I had to  drop off a prescription request, so we walked down to the doctor's together, and then came back via Sainsbury's  as there was something he needed, and I had forgotten 2 items, one being mayonnaise for his packed lunches. The weather had changed on Wednesday, it had become much colder, and there was a bitter wind. I got  my fleece out of the cupboard.
Thursday morning I was running late to pick up Nathaniel and missed my breakfast, so when I got back here with him, I quickly got Weetabix and a sliced banana. I sat on the computer chair to eat it, and showed him what Nana was having for breakfast. He disappeared into the kitchen ,and came back with a teaspoon which he proceeded to dip into my bowl, then to his mouth, with cries of 'Mmmm, mmmm' of appreciation. Obviously a hobbit in need of second breakfast!
I needed to go into town to buy a small ball to do my physio exercises. Not much joy, balls apparently are 'seasonal'. I went into another toy shop, and picked up some things for him to play with at my house. I asked about balls and a helpful assistant said she would look upstairs. She came back with 2, I bought both, one for me one for Nat. He fell asleep on the way to the bus stop, and stayed asleep for about an hour again, whilst I prepared his meal and my lunch.
After wards as I was changing his nappy he weed all over the changing mat, it went on my carpet, as I tried to clean it up he stood in it, so I had to do an almost complete clothing change. I just about made it to Women's hour, didn't have time to switch off my mobile, and of course it rang, I was dying with embarrassment! Nathaniel sat quite well through most of the talk, but did get down to play with his little friend after a while. I apologised to the pastor about my phone, but he said he hadn't heard it. I rang back and it was Daughter asking me to check that the slow cooker had in fact been switched on.
After the meeting I took Nathaniel to my house and gathered up some stuff to take to Daughter's. When we arrived  I checked the slow cooker, yes it was on. I gave N his tea, and he made a thorough mess as usual. Daughter came home and immediately got stuck into preparing dinner, then husband arrived having dropped my car off at home. I volunteered to bath N, and discovered he has a penchant for drinking bath water. Dear child. After he had gone to bed we had a very pleasant time eating and chatting, and all too soon it was time for home.
On Friday Nathaniel was asleep before we left the house with the buggy. I called in at Wickes to check their door cylinders as our lock has been sticking, and I had visions of being unable to open the front door. I don't know how we would get round that one. Then I went into Dunelm Mill for a browse, whereupon the sleeper awoke. So I took him to the small park and he had time on the swings. The slide was a bit of a failure as his shoes stuck, he then toddled around in the fallen leaves, and played peek a boo through the tunnel. He thought better of climbing through it. He wasn't very good at lunch time,  but eventually I got him to eat some casseroled beef and his favourite- yoghurt. I felt so tired that as he napped I also closed my eyes for a bit. I wish I could sleep as easily at night!
Enjoying the swing

Not impressed with the slide

peek a boo

enjoying the leaves

Another trip out later to fetch my prescription, but this time I managed to trap the door mat under the door, and I couldn't even lock it. I knew that the back gate was bolted, so I had to ring husband and get him to come home, he didn't mind leaving early, and Nathaniel enjoyed toddling up the road at the back of our house. He would have gone further, but I wouldn't let him. Eventually husband arrived and let me in. A quick tea of eggybread, half an oat bar and a satsuma, and it was time to take the youngster home to his Mum.
Yesterday was the usual  walk into town, bus back etc, but I had to go back to the pharmacy as one of my inhalers had not been in stock. I also went to Homebase and found a new cylinder, so we now have a new front door lock All I have to do now is make sure that the mat doesn't get trapped.
Today, slightly warmer, two good upbuilding services with excellent sermons, one continuing the story of Abraham, the other in Acts 14. Good news of a family member of one of our friends being out of hospital. Other news we have had this week of  a Mum in her 40s very weak after treatment for breast cancer, and the birth mother of a foster son of friends of ours,desperately ill, with very little time. All of these folk held in our prayers. Great rejoicing too at the birth of twins to another couple we know. Well time has gone, and I need to finish this for today. I am thankful that we have a God who not only hears our prayers but answers them, even if we don't get the answers we expect. All glory to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment