Sunday 23 October 2011

A Wettish and Windy Welsh week

Well here I am, back from a week in North Wales. I had my flu jab nice and early on the Saturday, then we spent time packing, tidying the house, and loading the car etc. We didn't set off very early, and had two stops, one for lunch at Corley, they have a Waitrose there now, so we had a browse there. I chose a chilli jacket potato from the Eat menu, but I was disappointed as the jacket potato was a watery variety. We stopped again, at Sainsbury's Chester, to stock up on food for the weekend, and had a cuppa in their cafe.
We arrived at the farm cottage where we were to stay, and were greeted by Holly, one of the farm dogs, who came into the cottage with us till we shooed her out. She is a golden labrador.
Rear view of the cottage
 the 'view' after sunset

 The farmer's wife came over and  chatted to us about the cottage, apparently she and her husband renovated it, with the help of his brother. It was derelict old bakery and coach house, they lived there for 11 years, then moved into the main farmhouse, a beautiful red brick Georgian  house, built in 1776. After a meal, I drove down to see my sister, whilst husband flopped in front of the TV to recover from the drive.
On Sunday we went to the little chapel in Rhuddlan, Gosen. They have a new pastor, an American. he was very good, very simple but very clear and easy to listen to. After wards we chatted over coffee, and I caught up with D. She  was converted at a the same church as me, around a year later. Her brother died last year, and it seems he came back to God before he died. He was a very gentle chap, but like his father had an alcohol problem, although he hadn't touched it in the 3 years before he died.
We went back to the cottage for a steak lunch, and then set off for my Sister's home where we saw some family members, ate tea, and watched TV, unusual for us. We saw parts of Downton Abbey, but will have to wait a while for the rest when the DVD appears. Maggie Smith doles out her usual one-liners.
On Monday we went down into Rhyl.  It was blustery and showery, and husband went to get his hair cut, it had grown rather long, and he looks like a different man now. We had lunch in a small cafe where we have been before, I say lunch but typically husband chose the 'all day' breakfast, and I had a lovely warm honey and mustard chicken salad. It was really quite yummy, and better than cold chicken which can be quite dry. Sadly the cafe is up for sale, as the owner now has grandchildren and understandably wants to see more of them. They do a lovely yoghurt surprise, which is low fat yoghurt with fruit salad and meringue, so I didn't feel too guilty, as all are allowed at WW.
We had a good walk round Rhyl, and I used an internet cafe, as husband's laptop is so slow, and the connection not wonderful at the cottage. Rhyl has a very short season compared to somewhere like St Ives, but they do get people there at half term. Most people seem to be day trippers though. They have reprieved the M&S store, at least till the new one opens in Prestatyn. We walked on the promenade, but had  to keep away from the sea wall as the sand was blowing around, and it was going in eyes, hair etc We then went back to the cottage, read papers and dozed till dinner, then visited sister in the evening.
Tuesday we went over to Llandudno. I bought a pair of shoes at the 'posh' shoe shop, they were rather expensive but comfortable. Then we went to Tiffany's which was always our favourite place. They have dropped most of my favourites from the menu, so I had a Greek salad which tuned out to be a bit of a disaster. Husband had lasagne. The Greek salad was feta, with anchovies, horribly salty; a couple of olives then a mountain of iceberg, about two slices of tomato and pepper and loads of cucumber. I loathe cucumber, and as I piled it up on the side of the dish, I did wonder whether they had sliced a whole cucumber into my dish! We would have loved a coffee, but were ignored till I went to pay the bill. We may have to find a new place to eat.
We did our usual tour of the shops,  hurrying across side streets, as the wind was  quite strong. I bought hat and gloves in M&S, as I hadn't packed any. I put them on straight away. When I met up with husband I asked if I looked like the village idiot (probably not very PC) and he said ' not quite'. I am always a bit self conscious of beret style hats but it kept my ears warm. We didn't buy much else, but got plenty of exercise walking around.
On Wednesday we were not sure where to go, husband suggested Conwy, but I thought it might be too windy by the coast. I found a leaflet in the cottage on Mold, so we went there instead. had lunch in a nice little cafe, soup and a sandwich, just the job for a cold day. The cafe was called 'truly scrumptious'. Then we wandered around markets, indoor and out, browsed shops, not many big chains, and I found husband a new spout brush for his work teapot, which he uses for green tea. We came 'home' the scenic rout via Ruthin, Trefnant and St Asaph.
On Thursday I overslept, husband had been staying up late, so had I. so we were late leaving for Chester. It was a sunny day, not much wind. Husband set off for the pasty shop, and I bought a sandwich in Marks, then headed down Souter's Lane to eat it in the sunshine in the Groves, by the river.
children being taught about the amphitheatre, by a 'Roman' guide

The Newgate

pleasure boat on the river
Bandstand, and  suspension Bridge

Husband and I met up for a while, then went our separate ways, then met up for coffee. I bought some fleecy joggers in M&S. Will have to see how warm they are.before throwing my worst ones out. Footsore, we picked up a dinner main course in M&S, then headed back to the park and ride There are massive roadworks in Boughton, at the A55 roundabout, so were glad we didn't need to go to Sainsbury's. When we got back, I lit the log burner for the first time, and gave Reg our faithful farm/guard dog a treat I had bought at Chester Market. I nearly lost my hand!. Husband thinks I am a softy.
The old range and oven, no longer in use
some of the Dairy herd

The Lovely Reg

Alcove in the walled garden.
Thursday evening we went to sister's, and as we left said our goodbyes. Friday morning I popped over to Sainsbury's for some lunch, and flowers, then off to the cemetery to visit Mum and Dad's grave. I never seem to be able to find it first look, I must write it down. Back to the cottage, a quick lunch, then finish packing, tidy cottage, and inform M&J cottage owners that we are leaving early to visit Son and wife.
Leave at about 3, and have a lovely traffic free drive to Sandbach, where they are now renting a house, having sold their's in Macc, they are looking for something to buy in the area as it is nearer their church. Son however still works in Macc, now full time, but still not earning much, and working most Saturdays. Please pray he will get something better, nearer home.We arrive too early, so head back into town centre, wander round the shops, most cafes closing up, but find a cafe in Waitrose for a cuppa. Arrive back about 10 minutes before Daughter in Law, and have a tour of the (massive) rented house. Son arrives home and he cooks dinner whilst we chat, then we spend a pleasant evening, going to bed early. I don't sleep well, I've been in too hard a bed at the cottage, which has upset my disc problem, probably my own fault as I didn't bring the mattress topper, ( very bulky).
Next morning see Son briefly, have first shower for a  week, no shower in cottage, the only bad point, although I did use the bath, but not ideal for hair washing. We walked into the town centre, took Daughter in Law out for lunch, browsed an antique place, then bought food for when we got back, from Waitrose, to save having to shop here at home. A good journey home except for congestion at Birmingham on M6, an accident involving a few cars and a lorry. Seeing the awful queues going North, we are glad that we no longer have to go away at half term! Stopped at Corley for a break, then home about 6.30.  Unload car and try to sort out mess before dinner.
Good to be back with good phone reception, (cottage walls at least 18in thick), and good internet connection. Back to our own church today, numbers down a bit as it's half term, ease back into our Pastor's preaching style, and feel challenged by preaching. Back to Normal tomorrow, but at least I  relaxed last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment