Sunday 2 October 2011

Here comes the Sun, it's allright!

This has been an interesting week for us, Monday looked as if it would be a normal day, but it turned out otherwise.  As the end of the month was approaching, I decided to check our bank statement online. I came across a direct debit which I did not recognise, so I rang husband to check whether he knew anything about it. He did not. I then rang the building society and they told me that it was a payment to our mobile phone provider. It was  in effect nearly 5 times what we usually pay.
I rang husband again, and he said he would investigate, as  the contract is in his name, and it is the company for whom he works. Husband has a habit of leaving statements unopened, so I hunted for the statement and opened it, I didn't read every page, but husband rang me back to say that it had already been spotted by the provider, and someone, presumably an employee had added an expensive package to our contract, and proceeded to make £90 worth of calls in one day to Nigeria! The company are investigating. I hope that they find out who did it and dismiss them. We are in line for a refund, but had I not checked the account we could easily have gone overdrawn. I now open all mail addressed to husband, with his permission.
I also helped with the distribution of the harvest goods on Monday was almost late as I had been dealing with this problem, then got to my garage and found I had the keys for the Focus, not the Fiesta. Despite people being away there were still plenty of us involved and I only delivered 2 packages.
Tuesday I took a  longer walk, to a DIY shop to find  screws to fit the brackets I bought last week. I forgot my reading glasses, so it was difficult reading the labels, but managed to find some 'all purpose screws', which looked long enough and strong enough to hold. I measured up, and fitted the two top brackets, but it was a horrible job, in that I couldn't find husband's rechargeable screwdriver, so had to keep swapping from drill head to screw head on his rechargeable drill. We have been having lovely hot sunny weather this week, and our porch is well insulated, so I was dripping. I managed to get the two fixed and fitted the gate in place, Eureka! I could close it, without the extra extension bowing, which was what was happening before.
On Wednesday I went to WW sadly, I had gained half a pound, no idea why, then I dashed off to Sainsbury's for the shopping, then home for a quick lunch.and unpack of shopping before the electrician arrived. He came a few minutes later than promised, but was unable to fit two sockets where I had wanted as one was already a spur. He chatted quite a lot about the messes he has to sort out when called in by people who have bought a property, need something doing, then discover what has been previously done is wrong or unsafe.
When we bought this house, more than thirty years ago, a light switch had been put in the understairs cupboard, and every time that light was switched on, the living room light came half on. Husband had to sort that out. He also added a light switch on the wall by the back door, as previously we had had to come in the back door, and cross the living room to switch on the light  not pleasant or easy in the dark. Because of his training as an apprentice years ago husband is competent to do such things, Now though, he would have to have it done by  an electrician, or have it checked for safety.
I spent part of the afternoon fitting the two lower brackets, then went to collect some shirts and bed linen I'd had ironed. I'm finding I have less time for ironing these days, but don't feel inclined to do it in the evenings.One evening this week we watched a video, the Young Victoria, about Queen Victoria's youth, and all the politics and machinations surrounding her. Much of it was filmed at Blenheim, so husband and I had an enjoyable time spotting which bits were Blenheim, having been there twice this year.
I collected Nathaniel at 8 am on Thursday, brought him back here, and later we walked into town again, or rather I walked and he rode in the buggy. I had to transfer some money to pay a couple of bills. He seems to enjoy riding in the buggy, so much so that he fell asleep. I got the bus back up, and left him sleeping in the buggy whilst I did some chores and prepared his meal. He ate well, beef and veg casserole, followed by yoghurt, then he played for a bit, then I loaded him and the buggy into the car and took him to the surgery (again). This time I was the first to arrive again and had the letter of consent. One of the staff was quite taken with him as he toddled around the waiting area. Suddenly his name flashed up on the screen, much posher than having a number to hang on a hook when a buzzer is pressed. The letter was read, his health pronounced ok, and I had to hold him whilst he had three injections, two in one arm one in the other. He was not happy at this but soon cheered up, and we headed off for the church for Women's hour. I arrived a tad late, but well in time for the speaker, who is actually someone who was on the holiday when husband and I met, so he is an old friend. His wife was there too. Their son is working for an organisation called 'Caring for Life' www.caringforlife.co.uk/, which was set up by a Pastor in Leeds. It helps the homeless and those with serious problems.I have read a book about it called The Deafening sound of Silent tears, which is quite harrowing, but describes the difficult but rewarding work that these folk do. We then watched a DVD of the work. hearing the testimonies of people who had no family, but have now found unconditional love from this organisation, and  look on it as their family, some have found Christ too. At the end there was a bit of  brushing of eyes.
Nathaniel was quite good and sat on my lap for most of it, but got noisy in the final summing up, so I took him out for the final prayer. Afterwards he and the other little boy disappeared together, to run about in the big hall. Someone was watching them and thoroughly enjoyed their antics. I caught up with J and his wife, she seemed quite enchanted with Nathaniel. I think it must be the huge blue eyes!
On Friday I took a longer walk with him, after getting the newspapers we walked along to the canal, then back along the bank. I was going to take him to the swings, but when I reached the gate along the canal which leads into the field, I realised he was fast sleep again. Again I reclined the buggy and left him to sleep in the hall. He ate a good lunch, and afterwards I took him with me to the garden centre. My pots and troughs out at the front have been getting rather straggly, so  I needed some new plants and some spring bulbs. I managed to park in the shade. as the car was hot from standing and had taken a while for the air con to cool it. I hadn't brought a drink for either of us. I put N in trolley seat and picked up packs of winter pansies and the filled pots with bulbs. The pansies were on offer, the bulbs two pots for the price of one. I also got another pot for one of my orchids which is busy climbing out if its pot.  Nathaniel didn't think much of that when I placed it in the baby seat beside him, so he threw it out. I thought that they had a drinks machine, but they didn't , however they do sell soft drinks. I bought a bottle of  mildly fizzy lemonade. With the discounts and my garden club vouchers I didn't have to pay very much. Nathaniel and I then shared the bottle of lemonade, he hasn't had a fizzy drink before, but really seemed to enjoy it. We drove home and he played for a while then went for nap. I am pleased to report that the baby monitor works very well, I had settled down with the paper, but then woke with a start when he cried!
After a teas of mashed baked beans, another first for him, and eggy bread, I took him back home, husband called round again, and when Daughter came home we chatted for a while. I had to call at the supermarket for some items for a cod dish I was making, then it wouldn't cook properly, I don't know if it is because my oven is getting too old, or whether the gas pressure was just low, we were pretty late eating.
Yesterday we took the car into town as it was too hot to walk, did the shopping, bought lunch from Marks and drove over to near Ivinghoe beacon again to eat it. It was very pleasant up there and we watched lots of cyclists who we discovered later were practising for a race to be held today. then we came back via the garden centre, husband wanted more lavender and I bought some heathers to use in my pots. I had spent part of the morning redoing the troughs with bulbs and pansies, so hopefully they will now not need attention till Spring
Husband had persuaded me to get an M&S meal for two. It was very nice, but oh dear when I came to add up the points I was well over my daily limit; had to use all of my exercise points and some of the weekly 49! Did he have to choose a dish containing cheese and a potato dish containing cheese, as for the profiteroles.....
Today we went to church in the morning, but I had difficulty staying awake, not because of the preaching I hasten to add, that was very good as usual. I just seem so tired all the time. We had our main course in the garden at lunchtime, but husband was so hot that we ate our raspberries and ice cream indoors. He handed me a coffee, but I was too tired to drink it, and fell asleep for about an hour. I woke up and used the computer whilst husband went for a nap, I still felt tired, so tried to sleep again without success. I decided to start my blog, then later thought I must stop  and have a cuppa. suddenly husband appeared, not dressed for church and said 'have you seen the time? It was 6.10 pm. Realising I had a headache and still felt sleepy, I said 'I don't think I will make it this evening', husband agreed, so we had a quiet evening, I tidied the kitchen and made husband's packed lunch for tomorrow instead of leaving it till last thing
Later I phoned Mum-in law for a chat. I am not allowed to phone her till she has finished watching Charles Price on the God channel. We chatted till 10.15pm. now I'm trying to finish this and get to bed before 11, don't think I will make it somehow, funnily enough I don't feel as tired as I did. will just upload some pics if I can and wish you all a good week.
My replanted troughs


The ready made up pot I bought last time

The ceanothus we bought in the Summer, still has lots if lfowers

No comments:

Post a Comment