Monday 21 November 2011

A weekend away and a mystery solved

Husband's Mum was very pleased to see us despite the late hour. We chatted for a while then retired to bed. In view of my dodgy back, and a strange bed, I took a painkiller, and managed to get some sleep, in fact I was the last up on Saturday morning. It was a beautiful day, and we relaxed and chatted, only getting ready to go out just before lunchtime. Mum in Law wanted to go to Asda in Eastbourne, but husband missed the turning, so we had  a very interesting detour. From  the state of the traffic it seemed that the whole of the country was in or on the way out of Eastbourne. We eventually found Asda.  Ugh! what an experience. A huge store, people milling about everywhere, one tune playing loudly in the entrance, yet another assailing our ears in the first aisle. It took us a while to locate an assistant, but when we did he helpfully guided us to the area where the item Mum in Law  was interested in should be found. Unfortunately it was out of stock. I waylaid another assistant, who said that the next lot of stock should be in on Monday. After buying the papers, so as not to lug them around Eastbourne, we beat a hasty retreat from the busy store.
We eventually made it to our usual parking place, on a side street behind the station, then set off for C& H fabrics where we intended to have lunch in their lovely cafe. I decided on a turkey sandwich, with trimmings, till I saw that they did goat's cheese and red onion tart. It fully lived up to my expectations. I was very naughty and had a lemon tart for afters. 2 lots of pastry, I deserved to get indigestion, but didn't. After browsing the craft department, Mum in Law and I set off for the shops which she wanted to visit, and husband had already left for his usual tour of charity shops, and anything else which takes his interest. For once I avoided Lakeland, as I had been in the one in Watford the day before. Mum in Law is fairly slow at walking these days, so I didn't cover as many of the shops as I usually do. Eventually we had had enough, and phoned husband and arranged to meet him back at the car. We went back to Mum in law's via Pevensey for a change. Fog was already beginning to gather on the levels there.
Back home I had a restorative cup of tea, then settled down with the newspapers, every now and then popping into the kitchen to see if Mum-in Law needed help. The trouble  is we chat, so I feel I am holding her up. After our meal husband ran a check on his Dad's old computer, I only watched TV for the 10 o'clock news. I was much earlier to bed than usual, slept reasonably well, and woke at 8 am. Mum in law was in a hurry to get to her 9.30 am service, so we kept out of her way. We had a leisurely breakfast and got ready for the service in the church we go to down there. Mum In Law was back before 10.30, no 45 minute sermons at her church!  We had a very warm greeting as usual, and a good service. On chatting to the secretary after church, we learned that they have had 4 members die in the last few months. there are no regular young families these days, although it isn't just geriatrics who live in the area. Some people even commute to London from there.
Back at Mother in Law's after the service I sort of hovered in the kitchen, but she seemed to want to do it herself, as she thinks she might forget how to cook. When speaking of memory decline she said to me, 'don't get old'. I'm afraid I told her that I wasn't too keen on the alternative, which made her laugh. We eventually sat down to roast beef and yorkshires, etc, and had difficulty persuading her that we didn't really need dessert.  Back to relaxing, and husband doing something for her, then I decided I needed fresh air and exercise and went for a walk around the village. All too soon it was time to pack, and reload the car, and we left just as the sun was setting.
We had a reasonable journey home, stopping at Pease Pottage for a drink and a bite to eat, then seeing lots of fog. Despite the illuminated signs warning motorists to slow down, no one did, till we got near Heathrow, where it was particularly bad. I was a bit nervous of it coming down suddenly, but most motorists drove at their normal speed. You can see how tragedies like that on the M5 can happen.
Back home we unloaded the car, phoned or messaged people to say we were back, then got a reasonably early night. Daughter had taken Nathaniel to the shoe shop, and he had gone up half a size. he now has flashing lights on his shoes, so when he is not wearing them he bashes them on the floor so that they light up!
I was up a bit late this morning, and after a bath to help my back, decided to take  a walk round the garden, playing hunt the slipper having a look for the elusive shoe. As I walked back up the path I said, 'Lord you know where it is, if it is in the house, please show me'.  As I reached  a pink osteospermum, which hangs over the path, I suddenly noticed something blue tucked underneath.
Osteospernum

Eureka! Answered prayer!. Obviously the torch beam hadn't picked it out as it was a dark colour. It must have fallen off his foot as I carried him up the path from the car. I phoned Daughter and promised to reunite her with the shoe, which if no longer needed can be a keepsake. I still have both pairs of first shoes from my two. Despite being in the open for 2 days it wasn't even wet. Must go now as it's very late. Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment