Monday 7 November 2011

No dusk, no dawn, no proper time of day...

Quite a busy week this week, but I did rather start off on the wrong foot. I set off for Harpenden on Monday morning for what I hoped to be my final physio appointment, only to realise as I walked down the hospital corridor, that my appointment was for Nov 7th. Oops! I checked with reception and yep, I had it wrong, I had mislaid my card when we were away. I decided to have a wander around Harpenden instead, ending up in M&S simply food feeling really hungry and buying a roll that was a massive WW 10 propoints.
Monday I had a bad night again, and struggled to get up on Tuesday. I was due to look after Nathaniel for a couple of hours whilst daughter went into work for a very short course. I suddenly realised that I was running late and didn't have time to pick up my buggy, so I got Daughter to assemble theirs, and took him for a walk to the paper shop, then along past the junior school, and around the big 'posh' estate there. After we got back he had almost fallen asleep on my shoulder when his Mum arrived back. I came home feeling pretty rough and had a doze, then spent over an hour ironing in the early evening.
Wednesday morning was Weightwatchers, and despite me feeling as if I hadn't lost any, I had in fact lost 1.5 pounds. Not far off a stone now! Off to the supermarket, and again shocked at how much I spent. I bought a joint of beef that was expensive, I usually buy the large vacuum sealed joints and cut them in half, but there were none to be seen. Later I phoned daughter to see if she wanted to go to parent and toddlers, but she was tired too,so we didn't go. Why are we all so tired, is it 'the hour' time difference? On Wednesday I also made and posted Birthday cards for my niece.
It's been so dull here I am putting the light on at about 4pm. I may have to resort to using my lightbox soon, the days are so dull and the sun almost a distant memory. I try to walk as much as possible, but don't succeed every day. Thursday however I managed a good long walk. There was no Women's hour at the church, instead the Christian bookshop at Dunstable brought a lot of stock over and held a bookstall. I took Nathaniel in the buggy, and popped in a few shops on the way. Nathaniel fell asleep, so when I got there I parked him in a side room, and was able  to browse in peace.I also managed a coffee and a brownie.I stocked up on Christmas cards, bought some board books for Nathaniel and a Faith Cook novel for me.
Nathaniel woke just before I was ready to leave, I think that the little boy he normally plays with may have had a hand n the waking. I set off through town intending to get the bus in the town centre, but suddenly realised the time, and thought I had better take him somewhere where we could have lunch. So we went to M&S, he had a sandwich and I had soup, then we shared somed fruit salad. He enjoyed an apple juice too Afterwards we got the bus outside Debenhams, as I couldn't face pushing the laden buggy up the hill.  Nathaniel played for a while then went for another nap. after his meal I took him back home and Grandad called and played with him till Daughter returned, in fact we stayed quite a  while, but dinner was easy, just lamb steaks and veg.
Friday was a quiet day it was miserable and wet. Nathaniel quickly fell asleep in the buggy as I set off for Sainsbury's. I had to put the rain cover on. It brightened up as I left  Sainsbury's and I came the long way back to give me a longer walk Nathaniel woke up as we neared the playground, but the swings and slide would have been too wet to play on. I was felling a bit unwell, so he got into all sorts of mischief played happily  whilst I kept an eye on him. If I was using the keyboard every time I pulled the shelf out he pushed it back in. He kept on pinching the ball out of the mouse, but would put it back when told to. He found my fountain pen, removed the top and jabbed the pen into my arm, and there was me thinking he wouldn't remember his injections! He wouldn't eat his meals, but was soon after my bread when I had some soup. I took him home a little bit earlier than usual, so that he had more room to run around, their living room is bigger than ours and less cluttered. Husband came round so I took the opportunity to go to the loo unaccompanied.
we stayed quite a while again, and when we eventually got home I made fish pie, which was easier than the somewhat fiddly recipe I had planned.
On Saturday we did our usual shopping, taking the car, as both of us were suffering various aches and pains. We came a different way home, just as well, as when we came down the hill the road was blocked with fire engines an ambulance, several police cars and a paramedic fast response car.  The side road which leads to our garage at the rear was clear so we were ok. We joined the rest of the neighbours out at the front. Nosey ? us?  There was a van badly dented at the side, with one of the nearside wheels underneath the van. I had seen someone being helped out of a vehicle onto the grass bank Fortunately the  fire engines didn't seem to be needed and the paramedic said that there were a couple of people being checked over in the ambulance. We couldn't work out which other car was involved. It may make the local papers but accidents don't always The last accident along here was about a month ago. I had seen a lampost down on one side road with a car in front of it. On Saturday the local paper delivery man was enjoying the scene and he told us that he had been around when the car crashed into the lamppost. He also informed us that it a was a Mercedes, stolen from a local dealer.
We don't bother with fireworks, I was put off them completely a few years ago when people were killed by Chinese fireworks. We haven't been to a display for years, the one in St Albans where we did go tended to be the same every year. Thankfully most of the local fireworks were over by 8.30, but then some idiots started letting them off at midnight. I was glad we no longer have a dog. he alternated between being terrified and wanting to go out and bark at them.
Daughter had gone to a hen weekend, so I rang Son In Law on Sunday to find out what he was doing for lunch. He hadn't anything planned, so as he didn't have the car We offered to take him and Nathaniel to church with us, with lunch at our home to follow. Nathaniel however was a bit noisy, so I took him into the church hall, where he obligingly fell asleep on my shoulder. I laid him across 2 chairs and was able to listen to the sermon which is piped through. Nathaniel woke at one point, so I picked him up, and he fell asleep again. He had just woken up as the service ended, and husband and Son in law decided to skip communion and came through with all my stuff. When we got home we got a call from Daughter, who was on her way back, so we had a lovely family Sunday lunch. Nathaniel finished his yoghurt and fancied a taste of our ice cream. He didn't stop at one spoonful either, not being satisfied till we showed him it was all gone.
He declined a nap, the only person lucky enough to get one was Husband who very determinedly went and lay down upstairs. As Daughter and Son in Law haven't been to their church much over the last few weeks having been away a lot, I offered to babysit. So we took Nathaniel home and I bathed him, getting rather a shock when he threw one of the cups I had given him to play with out of the bath. It was full of water and I got a bit wet. He went to sleep very quickly, and only cried briefly once when someone let off particularly loud fireworks. I settled down with my new book, and had read more than half, then had a long break, before they arrived home later than expected. They were full of apologies, they had met lots of people they hadn't seen for a while.
I came home and after a quick late tea phoned Mum in law. She is still feeling breathless , but a hospital ECG was pronounced ok, so it may be down to her change of eye drops. She has stopped using them for the time being. Her friend, who was so badly injured about 3 months ago, has been moved to a hospital nearer home. Sadly she still 'talks rubbish' to quote her visitors, so it may be that her brain has been affected by the 2 bouts of meningitis she is thought to have suffered whilst in the London hospital
Whilst driving to church yesterday morning we had quite a jolt seeing yet more police cars, police tape, groups of young people gathered near the market square, lots of police officers  and piles of flowers. Later we heard a young man of 21 had died from stab wounds,and 2 17 year olds had been arrested. Why 17 year olds are roaming the streets at 1.00am is beyond me. They are too young for pubs and clubs. My 2 were rarely out late and were always collected when they were that age. I suppose though that I am an old fashioned parent, who actually disciplined her children.
We Christians are considered out of date and out of touch, but when people gave more respect and honour to God and His day there were not the problems in society that there are now. Must close now as I have work to do

No comments:

Post a Comment