Monday 21 November 2011

The weekly merry go round

I can't believe we are so far into November, the weeks are racing by. I was in a shop yesterday and they had notices up saying  '5 weeks to go' I felt like screaming, 'Stop the world I want to get off'. In truth I haven't many presents to buy, everyone seems to want money, which is fine by me, but I still get that panicky feeling that says 'no time, no time. Breathe deeply, relax!' I've barely got over the change of the clocks!
I must check with some family members what they want, then will probably get them on Amazon. The beginning of my week was terribly boring, I was catching up on the never ending housework, and did a pile of ironing. I also did several shirts before husband ran out.
I kept on with the walking, with my back problems it is  probably the best exercise. I have thought about swimming, but not sure if breast stroke kick is right for my disc problem, which has flared up a bit lately. I also have pain on the other side of my back, which I hope is muscular , as I don't get sciatica symptoms, so am just using heat pads and occasional pain relief. I'm having to take one cocodamol at night to ensure that I sleep.
I took delivery of my new food processor. My old one has one the bowls broken, and it was obsolete. I managed to track down a Braun  online, and ordered it. It came all the way from Germany, but I couldn't try it out as it had a 2 pin plug.
On Wednesday  at Weight watchers, I had lost a further half pound, which means I have now lost a stone. I have got my second silver seven. I rushed round Sainsbury's, which was busier than usual due to the temporary closure of our local Tesco, whilst they finish off enlarging the store. I probably won't even bother with going into the new Tesco, as I have been increasingly unenamoured with the company, they ride rough shod over people's feelings when it comes to planning applications. I'm sure that our town does not really need 5 Tescos. They only seem to be interested in profit. After  a quick lunch I headed off for Parent and Toddler's, where I was doing registration. There were only 3 helpers there, and I was a bit relieved that we were not overbusy.
I went in search of an adaptor for the plug, without much success. I tried out one, but it did not work. Husband discovered it was the fuse and I was soon chopping meat and making pastry for his pie. I had chicken casserole and kept some for Nathaniel.
On Thursday morning, I collected Nathaniel then took him home for a while. I had some stuff, unused, which I thought could be used for a tombola, or stalls at a Christmas Fair. Ok, some of it was prizes from Scalby Fair which we didn't really need. I settled Nathaniel in the buggy and piled the stuff in the basket underneath, then set off for our children's primary school.  It is about a mile away, mostly uphill, but I chose the scenic route which takes me across a park. I stopped at the paper shop, and soon afterwards as we passed some trees, I spotted 3 squirrels chasing around and up and down the trees. I tried to point them out, but no answer. Nathaniel was fast asleep! Outside the school I met one of the old dinner ladies whom I knew when I did midday supervision. She was having a smoke outside the gates. We had a chat, then she walked back into the school with me, and pointed out the office. a lot has changed, they have an extra office.
When I pressed the bell and was let in, I did recognise the bit of the building I was in. They were pleased to receive the gifts, and although I didn't know the office staff, the head came over and had a chat. He was deputy head when my 2 were there, also he runs a scout group, where Son went through cubs, so I know him quite well. I even found out when Daughter has to register Nathaniel for nursery. It is probably her nearest primary school. Nathaniel slept all through the chat, all the way home, and in the buggy in the hall until I woke him for lunch.
He ate very well, and then after a quick nappy change we headed off for Women's Hour. We spent time signing  Christmas cards for missionaries, and one young woman who is spending a year of her university course in Russia, She will spend Christmas there. Then we had a prayer time. Nathaniel played quite quietly, but then afterwards ran around with the other youngster shrieking with laughter and having a thoroughly good time. Home for  a snack and a play, dinner, then back home to wait for Mummy. Husband called round again and spent time crawling around the floor with him.
Much later that evening I decided to look up on the internet why I had had difficulty sourcing a Braun food processor, and discovered that Braun no longer make food processors. DOH!  I just hope that it lasts me for a long time.
On Friday I decided to take Nathaniel to Watford. I felt like a look round the shops and wanted to go to Hobby craft, just in case I get time to make some Christmas cards.  As we stood in the back porch, I turned to lock the inner door, and in a flash he had tumbled out on to the step. Oh no! he had scraped his head where he still had the glue sticking to his hair, from his visit to A&E. He soon calmed down, but fell asleep in the car. He roused when I put him in the buggy, so I knew he wasn't concussed, and fairly soon after wards he was asleep again in the buggy. I walked all around the shops, then out into the High Street. I met an old friend in the High street and we chatted for a while. Nathaniel slept on. I moved on up the High Street with the aim of going to Nationwide, suddenly N woke up bright as a button and pointing to starlings and shouting Da!
We went back down the High Street and into the shopping centre where we had lunch in M&S. He had a sandwich, and some raisins, I had a cooked meal as we were going away on Friday evening. I poured some fruit juice into his cup of water, and not knowing what to do with the rest , popped it into the basket under the buggy. He didn't seem to want to drink much, so I popped his cup into the basket under the buggy. Thankfully there is a lap strap on M&S high chairs, because his latest trick is to plant both feet firmly on the footrest, shout and try to stand up. Shopping is a different experience with a toddler, you can't just jump on the escalator, or leap up the stairs, you have to locate the store's lifts, then wait patiently for the lift to arrive. John Lewis lifts are glass so I had to stand facing the doors as I have a slight vertigo problem. I had bought some dressings in Boots, and cleaned up the scrape on his head and tried to apply a dressing, but there is still so much hair stuck down that the dressing just sat on his hair.
Back at the car I put him in his seat, then tried to fold the buggy, It would not fold. I pushed a bit harder, then felt a sticky liquid. Oh no, the drinks carton. I removed that and tried again. A loud pop as the lid was forced off his drink cup, which I also suddenly remembered was there. I retrieved cup, folded buggy, put it in car and drove off leaving a river of  raspberry and apple juice with water running down the slope.
In Hobby craft he  was quite lively kicking and shouting, I had to apologise to a young woman as I thought he had caught her. 'that's ok', she said, 'I have three, I know what they are like'  In the queue he was giggling and chuckling, and it wasn't till I leaned over the buggy, and got a dirty look from a little girl in a buggy, that I realised that they were flirting. As soon as I moved she was back smiling and giggling with Grandson.
We got home and I gave him his snack, then decided a nappy change was in order. I had already used M&S nappy changing facilities. As I removed his rather long trousers, I noticed one shoe was missing. At that stage I didn't worry too much as he is always playing with the velcro, and often loses one shoe. Later as I came to get him ready for home I began searching for the shoe. I checked washing machine, cupboards, tumble dryer, bin, and every room in the house. It must be in the car. I checked the car as I put him in the seat. No joy. Husband was home, so he got out a torch as did one of the neighbours, and they checked the garage area. No Joy, so I just had to drive him home.  I didn't feel too happy, a bump on his head, a lost shoe, my packing only half done.
Daughter was slightly late home, and she wasn't too happy either. I did offer to pay for new shoes. When I got home, husband was having a snooze, so I had another look for the shoe, round the garden with a torch, round the garage area, and another check around the house. We were rather late setting off for Mum in law's, and when we got to Pease Pottage services in was about 9.45, and everywhere was closing up. We chose a sandwich each and a coffee, then took it in turns to nip into Marks for some odds and ends,  as they were closing at 10; him for breakfast stuff , me for a 'dessert'. then we finished our meal and got back to the car. there was a bit of fog about, but not too bad, and we eventually arrived just after 11pm. I think that I will talk about the weekend later.

No comments:

Post a Comment