Sunday 12 February 2012

Snow had fallen, snow on snow

So on Monday, I was still coughing, and not up to much, However I put on the snow boots and set off to trudge down to the hairdresser. It felt good having my hair cut,  and afterwards I walked into town to move some money between bank accounts. I've tried doing it online, but whereas I can transfer money from Nationwide in a couple of hours, Santander take days. The town centre was almost deserted again, I did a bit of shopping, and then got the bus back up. I felt pretty tired with the effort and the boots were quite unyielding and were rubbing my heels, so I was glad to get indoors and take them off.
Soup was the order of the day again for lunch, I also made some cauliflower and bacon soup to freeze as I had lots of cauli sitting in the fridge.  I'm afraid I dozed again after lunch. The cough hasn't eased much.
On Tuesday, I again didn't feel up to much, but went out for walk, wrapping up well as it was so cold. Some nights our garden thermometer has gone down to -13c! This time I wore my walking boots, with thick socks and they were a tad more comfortable.  I had a shock, there were actually 5 council men by the canal bridge, some just standing by their van, but two, actually doing something. One was chipping at the solid snow with a snow shovel, not putting much effort in, but the other actually wheeled a barrow across the bridge and put some grit down . Mind you I have said before that the canal bridge is lethal when the snow impacts. Most people seem to have cleared the snow from their paths, and the sun had helped, but there were patches outside some Housing association homes that were a bit iffy. We spent part of the evening watching another of my Christmas DVDs
On Wednesday I piled on the layers to go to Weghtwatchers. The class is held in a 'village' hall, which has a car park at the side. The car park in parts was like an ice rink. I managed to get inside the hall safely, and discovered I had lost a further pound which takes me to one and a half stone. Slow but sure, and considering I was reluctant to start back in August, I don't think I'm doing too badly. Off to Sainsbury's where I was tempted to buy Spring flowers to cheer myself up. I didn't achieve much for the rest of the day, stayed in and kept warm really.
One thing I did discover though was that my blood pressure had gone down from last week, and my heart was no longer pounding as it had been last week. Because I had been coughing a lot, I had increased my intake of Bricanyl. I read through the Bricanyl leaflet, and yes, it causes a pounding heart. I looked it up online, and yes it can raise blood pressure, great so I take one thing that brings my BP down, and another which sends it up. I have a review of my meds coming up, so I will ask if it can be changed for something else. I can't take Ventolin, that causes a rapid heartbeat and cramps so bad that my fingers actually contract backwards.
Just out of curiosity, I checked my blog for 2 years ago, when I was sent to the cardiologist to investigate a pounding heart. I had had a cold just before then and increased inhaler use. So I reckon that was the cause then . The Bricanyl inhaler was changed a few years ago, when they were getting rid of CFCs and the newer one seems to be a higher strength.
I collected Nathaniel on Thursday and brought him home. We have been trying to get him used to sitting on a potty, because he is showing certain signs of awareness of a full nappy. However no results yet, but he seems quite happy to sit there so may as well get used to it. I took him for a walk well wrapped up to Sainsbury;s and we came the long way home, but he didn't fall asleep. He enjoyed cottage pie and veg then a yoghurt, and later was happy to nap for just over 2 hours. I closed my eyes for a bit then played cathchee uppee, with some housework.
On Thursday evening it began to snow again, but we only had about 2 inches. this is what the garden looked like.
Christmas tree

Back garden Thursday night

Neighbour's trees

our japonica out front

Part of our road
I collected Nat on Friday, and had some hairy moments as I parked in a side road, and seemed to slide a lot. Later we walked into town and I managed to fit him in the foot muff (just).  For the second time this week the town centre seemed deserted. Nat must have been comfy, as he fell asleep, I left him in the buggy in the hall when I got home, and total nap time was 2 hours. I had an Amazon delivery, and even the doorbell didn't waken him. It was a new large size table mat to help stop the mess he makes of the tablecloth. He seemed to enjoy chicken stew, then yoghurt, and afterwards he played quite happily. He rediscovered his xylophone whilst I was on the phone to my elder sister who had rung. She was highly amused at the bash bash bash plinky plonk. Later I let him watch some 'In the Night garden' on iplayer, in fact I was dozing off sitting with him on my lap! Husband came home early, so he looked after Nathaniel whilst I made eggybread, and later he helped me get him in the car seat.
Yesterday I overslept, it was so nice having a good night's sleep, but hard to catch up. We went to town by car, did the usual shopping, but didn't hang around as it was still below freezing. The rest of the day was quite lazy. I made spag bol after chatting to the other sister. We haven't had that for while. Today we had another visiting speaker, our pastor is still away lecturing abroad. The service ended at 12 noon, unusual for us, so we had lunch earlier. It has got warmer today, in fact it rained as we went to the evening service, so maybe the snow will soon be gone. It's half term this week, that means kids everywhere. When I was at school half term was long weekend! Don't the weeks fly by? Hope you have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment