Monday 19 March 2012

March madness, and Mothering Sunday

Well, the beginning of the week was a bit of a disaster, I'm not sleeping well because of the pain in my hip. I toss and turn, have difficulty with lying on my left side, and end up feeling tired all day. I managed to get a pile of ironing done, but there's still last week's shirts plus a whole load more that I have washed since.
After lunch on Tuesday, I was about to doze off on the sofa, when my eldest sister rang. We chatted for quite some time, and I'm sure she told me about a problem she had with her health, but my mind is a total blank as to what it was. We did discuss her Daughter's problems though, and I can recall that. I hope it's just tiredness that makes me blank things out.
On Wednesday, I managed to get an appointment with a doctor I know and like. She examined me palpated the area till I yelled 'Ow', then checked my hip rotation. She said that it was fine, and said I have a trochanteric bursitis. As it started at Christmas when I was sleeping on a firm mattress she thought that was the cause, as I haven't fallen on that side at  all.  She has recommended physio. I thought it might be what she had said it was, as many years ago I had the same problem on the other side, and when I googled my symptoms that is what came up.
Going to the doctor's meant I missed the Weight watcher's meeting, but I did go along to get weighed, and had lost 3lb, 2 from last week, plus a 'whole new pound' as a lady I know says. The Doctor also took my BP and the bottom reading was normal but the top one high, however she accepted my home readings and discussed ways that I could use to try and control my white coat phobia. She also gave me a form for my annual blood tests, and suggested I have my asthma check together with the blood tests at the surgery, so I booked a fasting blood test for the day after my Birthday. Mustn't eat cream in my Birthday!
Later in the afternoon I took a card up to the post office, for my cousin's Birthday, dropped off another charity shop bag, and called in on Daughter. Nathaniel showed me how he can do most of the actions and some of the words to 'Wind the Bobbin up'. Big round of applause. My back started playing up, I think it was from when the Doctor rotated my hips so I was glad that Daughter had 2 days off and I didn't have to look after Nathaniel.
Nathaniel finds a new perch
I did mind him for an hour or so on Thursday morning, as she had to go somewhere and preferred not to take him. He was no trouble and kept himself (and me) amused.
 I have tried to upload a video of him dancing to a musical toy, but I am not  sure it worked.
On Thursday afternoon I should have gone to Women's hour, but my back was so bad, that I felt I didn't want to move from my comfortable position. I just rested instead.
Last week. my husband was complaining the the heater in my car would not work properly. He was right! It seemed to have three settings, 'hot', 'even hotter' and 'stop for a moment and take your coat/cardigan etc off.'  I put it to off and the heat just went on, so I resorted to opening the window. Anyway, I booked it into Ford's as our local garage proved useless last time I had problems with the heater. So Friday morning I was up early, dropped the car off, and decided to walk into town. My pace was slower due to my back and hip problems, but I managed to get there. I picked up the newspapers and a few other things at Asda, so I could use their toilets. I walked right to the end of town and got the bus up the hill. Then I tried to contact Daughter. She eventually called me back, and came round to pick me up for our trip to Milton Keynes
We arrived in time for lunch, which we had at John Lewis. I had a rather nice quiche and salad, but left the
pastry crust. Then we set off for a tour round the shops beginning with John Lewis. I still have some money left from Christmas gifts, and was looking to see if something would catch my eye. There is a huge open space in the shopping centre there, where they usually have exhibitions, or Father Christmas village, but on Friday there was nothing there, so Nathaniel was allowed to run around for a while. He isn't very good at walking on reins, wants to go off and do his own thing, so he spent part of the shopping trip confined to his buggy..
He had his feet measured, and got a new pair of shoes, but Daughter and I didn't buy much. we were tiring and couldn't be bothered to go down the extension to Debenham's. Instead, Daughter treated me to a pot of tea whilst I chatted,on my mobile to a mechanic, about my car. Daughter drove me to Ford's and I collected my car and came home.
We were just relaxing after dinner, when  pouffe! out went all the lights; the computer went off so did the radio, and the fridge freezer stopped humming. It was eerily quiet. Husband grabbed his torch and checked the fuse box,- nothing wrong there.
He went outside and the only lights were coming from the cars. Our neighbour called to me and I went over to tell her it was definitely a power cut, and to check she was OK for candles.
 In the 1970s power cuts were frequent as the power workers used them as weapons to get their way in the pay wars. Then we had the 3 day week. I worked at Manweb head office  in those days, and although we could have had our lights on, we didn't as a  PR exercise. Our building was unique in that we relied on the lights for heat, so on  our official 2 days without power, we all dressed warmly, and went into the office and worked until it became too dark to see, then we left.
I went round the house lighting candles, and husband went upstairs for these
Oil lamps





Of all the junk items we have collected over the years these have proved the most useful
 as well as being ornamental. I sat down with the newspaper and a torch, husband fiddled with his smart phone and located a message form the local electricity company,  which said the engineers were on their way. I had almost finished the paper when up came the lights again, about 57 minutes after they went off.
Thankfully the boiler reignited itself,  so we were ok.
Saturday was a slow day again. having slept badly I awoke late  and we ran late all day again . I couldn't face walking into town, so we took the car. We didn't stay long, but the fruit and veg stall had plenty of stock as it had rained all morning, and people were late coming into town to shop.
I took it easy for the rest of the day, not sure whether I should rest my hip or not, I see the physio tomorrow so will have to ask her. I'm going privately again, as I can claim the cost from HSA.
Yesterday started bright and I wore a suit for church, which I've had for over 11 years, but have only been able to get into on occasions. It was colder than I thought, so for evening I swapped the short sleeve jumper for a long sleeve one, and swapped the jacket for  a wool coat.  We had 2 excellent sermons again, we are really spoilt.
I'd had a card form Son for Mothering Sunday, and later Daughter and her husband came round with Nathaniel,  and a card, and this:
'Cauldron', with daffs and primulas 
It is now sitting on my patio. Husband missed his nap because of the visitors, but he didn't mind too much as he enjoyed  seeing Nathaniel. He did however have trouble keeping his eyes open during the sermon.
Today I have had husband's car MOT'd, and then went to Watford in search of a memory foam mattress topper, to see if it will help my back. It was toss up between J L and M&S, but M&S didn't have the size I needed. It has to air for 24 hours, so tomorrow night will be when I start to use it. I just hope it works.




No comments:

Post a Comment