Wednesday 28 March 2012

Missing parcels, a missing delivery, what else am I missing?

Oh dear. I am getting later and later with this blog. this last week has been a bit eventful.  I saw the physio Tuesday of last week, got a thorough examination, was told my joint mobility is quite good, The diagnosis was confirmed,and I was given ultrasound and magnetic therapy. I also have to work on my gluteus maximus and other related muscles. I am gradually getting used to the foam mattress topper, but still not sure I like it too much.
Wednesday was the usual chase around, Weightwatchers. where I had stayed the same, Sainsbury's, where I didn't spend too much, then parent and toddlers, where I was suddenly called upon to lead the singing as the lady who normally does it had to leave early. Nathaniel refused to take his nap, so Daughter brought him there for a time.
On Thursday and Friday I looked after him, he is still full of mischief, climbing higher and higher, to reach  out of bounds stuff, a very determined little boy. Thankfully he took quite long naps, so on Friday afternoon I started on this:
Mary Berry's ultimate chocolate fudge cake

Nathaniel, who had fallen asleep over lunch slept until after I took the cake out of the oven. He ate quite well on both days, and Grandad came round to Daughter's after work, Nat was full of beans charging round, shouting and having fun.
I made the ''icing' and filling in the evening. I believe the proper name for it is ganache, it's basically dark chocolate melted with cream, not Weightwatchers approved I hasten to add. On Saturday I managed to get up early for once, there were a few Birthday cards in the post. We rushed off into town, did a quick bit of shopping, then I did a quickish meal, small gammon steaks with eggs tomatoes and mushrooms, and made a pile of salmon sandwiches.
We set off for the Fellowship day at church, and I managed to transport the sandwiches and cake fairly safely,  although unbeknown to me some of the chocolate slid off the cake, and was discarded. I had foolishly put the cake on the baby seat, and it had slipped off, had I known, I would have spread it back on as it it had fallen on to some clean kitchen paper I had used to stop the cake sliding.in its box.
Some of our own folk were away, but there was good number form other churches, and we were soon engrossed in a talk from Philip Bell  from CMI, on the science of Creation.  I now know how to answer people who want to know how did they fit the dinosaurs onto the ark
We  had a break for tea, tables groaning as usual, and the family who had been celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary came in. All the salmon sandwiches went, and about half of the chocolate cake. I couldn't resist a slice of Lin's pavlova, but did try not to go overboard. All to soon we were in the kitchen washing up, with Kath and I at the sinks complaining we were sure the plates were coming for washing twice.
Soon we were back listening to the second half of the talk, but I got a bit lost when he explained carbon dating. Husband always likes to eat after the meeting , so we went to the petrol station which does M&S and he got a curry, which he reheated himself.
On Sunday morning I opened my cards, then enjoyed getting ready in a relaxed way; not having to prepare veg and calculate times for cooking meat to coincide with our return from church. (I usually resort to slow cooking).
We popped home briefly, then back out to the venue which I had chosen for lunch. There were a couple of other families there, one celebrating a 90th Birthday, the other family also had cards and presents. so presumably I wasn't the only one with a birthday that day. I had melon for my starter, and refused the bread roll. Husband had soup. We both chose roast beef, and unusually were asked to choose our dessert when ordering the mains. We both chose Bakewell tart and ice cream. It was all very yummy, and we returned home, to stretch out for a rest.
The phone rang at about 3.30, and it was my friend C to wish me a happy birthday, and to ask if I had looked outside my front door. I went to look and there was nothing there. When I told her she said 'Oh'. apparently her husband had left me a gift behind the plant pot on Saturday, they thought it would be safe as there was already a parcel there left by the postman. Bells began to ring! so that's why I didn't appear to have heard from our Son. I quickly rang him, and he confirmed , 'yes' he had sent a gift via Amazon. the postie had failed to put a card through the door.
I went upstairs to husband, who was awake, and asked him if the CCTV had been on. 'yes 'he said, and came down and began to examine the footage. we could quite clearly see our friend putting the card through the letterbox, and leaving the gift. However there was too much tape to examine in one go, so we left it  and went to church. After church, Daughter came round and we had the candles on the cake. She had been unsure how long we would be out for lunch, so they had taken a picnic up to Ashridge as it was so sunny.
M&S 'ruffle' cake, highly calorific

Not very flattering pic of me blowing candles out
Monday was quite mundane, I managed to clock up a couple of points on my pedometer with walking. I had cancelled the appointment with the nurse as I had been getting paranoid about having blood tests, asthma check and blood pressure check all together so, I had to take control. Monday evening husband managed to find footage of a young woman coming down our steps and picking up my presents. Perhaps she just didn't see the camera. Yesterday was fiasco. I had heard that J L were going to deliver the replacement for the broken part of the guest bed. I had reiterated it was to be sent to Daughter's as she has the bed on loan. I arrived there before 7.30 am as I'd had phone call, at 8.15 I rang JL as they hadn't arrived. they contacted the driver,who had tried to deliver it to my house where no one was in. The drivers promised to call on their way back, so Daughter and I spent a very boring morning waiting, and reading the papers that I nipped out to buy. We had lunch in the garden. Nat had gone for his nap, and at 2 pm I rang to be told 'Oh those drivers are back' Grrrrrr! How maddening.
 I rushed home, and got changed, hung out some washing and dashed off for my appointment with the physio. On the way I realised I had no cheque book, so parked in the village High Street and hot footed off to the cash machine. The physio told me off, in the nicest  possible way and said I could have paid next time.More of the same treatment, my exercises doubled, and I was off then to collect a prescription and rearrange my asthma check.  I went into town to get the prescription, as I wanted to got to the police station to report the theft.
The PW was quite sympathetic and her eyes lit up when I said we have CCTV footage. She took my details and later I got a call to say that my case had been allocated to a local officer. The PW on the desk had had birthday flowers stole from outside her house!
Later that evening I discovered 2 messages on my phone saying that the J L delivery had been re-scheduled for next week. Today I went to the hospital for fasting blood teats, then scoffed some fruit. I went to Weightwatchers, where I had stayed the same, not surprising in view of the weekend. When I got to Sainsbury's I still didn't feel right, so went in their cafe for tea and toast, as soon as I'd had the tea I felt ok  Tea addict!
Husband has been to Bristol for his monthly 'elfn safety' check, so is home nice and early. I have to take some stuff up to our Daughter. She is off this week, so no babyminding for me, perhaps my back will recover a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment