Monday 5 March 2012

Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to Bath we go

Well I can't remember too much of what happened at the beginning of last week, apart from looking after Nathaniel for a short while on Monday whilst his Mum went somewhere. I was back to eating normally by Monday thankfully, I did buy a small piece of beef, I nearly said took out a mortgage on a small piece of beef, what on earth has happened to to the price of meat?
Wednesday was quite busy, off to Weightwatchers, where I had lost one and a half pounds, had hoped it was more as I'd been so ill, but  better than nothing. I had had notification that a replacement for the missing parcel had been sent, and of course it arrived Wednesday morning whilst I was out. For once I didn't spend a fortune at Sainsbury's, but noticed that the pork had also shot up in price. I read in the local paper that a lad who was at primary school with our Son had died. J had suffered from neuroblastoma when he was quite small, in fact there was doubt that he would ever make it to school. His Mum practically lived at Great Ormonde Street, and attended many funerals of young sufferers. However J recovered, and I well remember the day when she came into the school where we both worked as midday supervisors, and jubilantly told us that J was considered cured. Strangely enough, several years before, a friend who had been a health visitor had asked me to pray for a little boy who was very ill. So I was praying for J before I even knew him.
Last Summer, I met his sister and she told me that he had developed cancer somewhere else, and was desperately ill. Once again I offered to pray for him. Sadly at that stage there was not much that could be done, a medical error had robbed him of the use of his legs, but determinedly he managed to walk again with sticks. So I bought a sympathy card for the family
We heard of another death of a younger person last week too. H was sweet young woman who we met when she was doing Beach Missions in St Ives, many years ago. Later we met her Brother, who told us that H had gone to train to be a nurse, in London, but had spent more time in hospital than in training, as she had severe asthma,and the pollution in London made it worse. She eventually married and moved from Cornwall, but Daughter met her sister at University, so still had contact. Sadly H was divorced, and had diabetes, but her death is still a shock to her family, they need our prayers at this time.
Wednesday afternoon, I drove to the new sorting office, anyone who doesn't have a car now can't get there. I eventually found the entrance, and claimed the parcel. On the way back I popped the sympathy card through G's letterbox, then called in on Daughter. Nat was in a grumpy mood, but it turned out he had another nappy rash, his skin is so sensitive. I noticed he was walking like a cowboy, so Daughter changed him, applied magical metanium, and he was a different child; happily spinning round and applauding himself and grinning.
Thursday morning first thing I popped up to daughter's home.  Her husband was looking after Nat, as we were going away for 2 days. Daughter had told me that her Husband wanted to borrow a tile cutter, he looked a bit bemused when I handed it to him. I also took husband's car to the car wash for a much needed clean.
We packed and set off at about 11.30, M25 and M4, stopping for lunch at Reading. It was our 32nd wedding anniversary, so we had decided to visit Bath. the hotels in Bath were expensive, and charged almost double for Friday nights, so I had booked one outside Bath. We arrived about 2.30 which was check in time, and were shown to our room, where there was a large cardboard box, containing flowers for me. Husband had not had time to shop for a card.
Hotel

our room
My flowers
We relaxed, I explored the hotel and spa, then we had a walk around the grounds read the papers, browsed TV channels, and went down for dinner at 7.30. We were seated in the lounge in front of a roaring log fire to choose from the menu. It was modern English, the sort where you don't seem to get much on the plate, but by the time you have eaten all the courses you are really full. I had scallops for a starter, husband had smokey bacon and a pheasant egg, there were complimentary mini rolls from the chef. I should have resisted, but didn't, I had forgotten how good butter tastes. There was also a complimentary mini roast root veg crumble too, which tasted divine. We both chose sea bass for our main, then a scrumptious chocolate tart with creme fraiche and black pepper ice cream. Coffee and petit fours followed, and  we went to our room somewhat satisfied. The bed was reasonably comfortable, you all know what difficulties I have. I slept fairly well, and we woke fairly early, to see the grounds covered in fog.
After a good breakfast, yoghurt and fruit, followed by various items for the full English then toast and marmalade, we returned to our room and husband use his smart phone to find a park'n'ride. That was free, and we used our bus passes to go into Bath. We explored the roman Bath, and other sights, till footsore we stopped at Costa, for a coffee and a bite to eat, then we explored more, and went into the Abbey. We were quite tired so found the bus and returned to the hotel, where we tried to rest before dinner.
Abbey

Roman bath

carving of god from temple

Drain from bath
The Circus

Assembly rooms

Royal Crescent

weir on Avon

Bridge with shops

abbey window

carved angels

restored organ

ornate ceiling
This time husband had a Cornish sardine, I had a goat's cheese tart with beetroot ice cream, another amuse bouche from the chef, and more rolls, then Somerset lamb with Rosemary mash. I had a trio of orange and chocolate,and husband a toasted coconut parfait with pineapple crisp. He had decided to have a glass of port, so only I had the petit fours with my coffee, although he did have my mini doughnut.
After another good breakfast we packed and left, and arrived home at about lunchtime, although neither of us felt like lunch. I walked to Sainsbury;s for some odds and ends then had a doze, and phoned various people. Back to reality, it poured with rain yesterday, bur we were in our own church, with our pastor, and apart from the road being closed in the evening due to a fire, leaving a problem with parking, we enjoyed 2 good sermons. I remarked to husband 'I couldn't eat like we did in the hotel for long'. Now I  have to cut back as it's weigh day on Wednesday. Oh well it was nice while it lasted

No comments:

Post a Comment