Monday 21 May 2012

Old father Thames keeps rolling along

Well this has been quite a busy week, not much out of the ordinary on Monday, but pretty full otherwise. On Tuesday morning, I got a call quite out of the blue to say that a surveyor would be with me 'in the next 45 minutes', to assess the moving of the gas meter. I rushed to tidy the kitchen, and about 20 minutes later, saw two men get out of a van, and start striding around our front garden. Eventually they 'knocked' at the door. Why don't people use my bell? Husband has replaced the remote bell, but it's surprising how many people think that rattling my letterbox is a better way of getting my attention. However I digress.
I let them in and one of them demanded that I show him the location of the meter. As I began to pull out the contents of the cupboard, he complained that it wasn't in a very good place, and wouldn't be easy to turn off  in an emergency. I felt like saying, 'Look mate, I didn't build this house, I am not responsible for the stupid siting of the meter', but I kept quiet, then he said 'how does the meter reader read it?' 'He gets down on his knees and uses a torch' I replied. I was the told in no uncertain terms that it would be a really big job to move the meter, that my (fitted) kitchen cupboards would have to be pulled out, it would need more that the 2 metres of pipe that I had been told it would need, then he changed tack and said 'We could put the box outside, but then you would have to contact your gas safe engineer and get him to reroute the pipe to the boiler and cooker' I said 'Well if the cupboards have to come out then it is too much hassle. I cannot move those cupboards, it is best left till the kitchen is refitted. You had better cancel the job'. The other chap hadn't said much, but had looked sympathetic, when I said it would be impossible to pull out cupboards, especially as the working surfaces were linked to those round the sink So they left, then it was up to me to ring and cancel the job.
The young woman who took the call  tried to hide behind the data protection act, because the account is in my husband's name. I said, 'Look, I just want the job cancelled and a refund'. She said that the refund would take up to 20 days. It didn't take them 20 days to charge me for a job that might not be done for weeks.
Needless to say, I was quite upset by the whole thing, but have been online and located a small cooker with a double oven. The meter reader will just have to put up with me being out., or kneeling to read the meter.
Tuesday afternoon was slightly better, a visit to the physio, the ultrasound does tend to stir up the pain, she gave me another exercise to do, and says I will probably need 2 more sessions.
On Wednesday morning I went up to Weight watchers, got weighed, not good, up a tad, that's being away last week, but those chunky chips I had with my wrap in Llangollen were good. Then I bought the newspapers and rushed home. I needn't have  bothered rushing as husband had just cooked himself bacon and scrambled eggs. Eventually he was ready, and about an hour later than my schedule. We drove to the railway station, and parked. the car. We used the main station, as there are more trains from there.I bought the tickets, but was asked what time we intended to return. If it was after 7pm, we could have the cheaper all day travel cards, but if there was a chance that we might return in the rush hour, then it was £23.50, each!
Husband said to pay the full amount so we could be free to travel when we liked
We eventually arrived at Euston., bought M&S sandwiches in the shop there, and wandered down the road to a small park to eat them, then we headed for the British Museum. Just after we arrived, husband's bottle of water split the flimsy M&S bag, so I had to go into the museum shop to buy a small bag to carry our soft drink bottles.
We wandered around the Egyptian section, marvelled at the carvings on sarcophagi, which must have taken years to do, looked at stone gods, and commented that  our Living God was far more useful; looked at some marble statues, then decide to head off for Covent Garden. It was very busy, and we strolled around looking at stalls. We had soon had enough of the crowds, and moved on. I decided that as my hip was aching I was in need of a coffee. All that there was was a Starbucks, and as we are boycotting them, we found a nearby railway station, and found somewhere for a coffee. Sitting was bliss. It seems that the hip doesn't mind walking, but dislikes strolling!
Then we left and went to the Embankment pier, we were very early, but we went ahead into the Bateaux London reception, and exchanged our gift voucher for a boarding pass. A sudden jerk, and we realised that the reception area was also afloat. At 3.15 we boarded and were shown to our table. As we cast off we had the safety talk, then a few minutes later had our tea order taken. We were probably just a bit further on from the  London Eye when the boat turned, and we set off in the other direction. We were brought our own pots of tea, then a small tray of sandwiches. There was pianist in the upper deck, which was open to the lower, and he kept us entertained. The water was bit choppy, but everything stayed in place. There was one scone each, sadly only strawberry jam, which I dislike, then 3 cakes and 2 minitarts each.. Only one eclair between two of us, so we cut it in half. The boat had turned close to Canary Wharf, so on the way back we could see the other side of the riverbank. There are hundreds of flats built along there, they must be so expensive. All too soon we were back at Embankment, applauding the pianist's selection from 'Oliver' and getting ready to disembark.
husband

Me

London eye

Houses of Parliament

Millennium Bridge

Tower of London

Tower Bridge

Canary Wharf

Cake

Pianist

We dived into the underground for the Northern Line, then at Euston I had to  have a 'comfort stop' after 4 cups of tea! We hot footed it right to the end of the station,where there was a train which only stopped once before our station. We felt a bit tired, and had a pretty quiet evening.
On Thursday I took Nathaniel shopping to Sainsbury's. he was quite good in the trolley, and even charmed the lady at the checkout by saying 'bye bye', and waving. He seems to be using many new words, purple, nap and 'cuggle'. being 3 of them. He went up quite obediently for his nap, and slept for three and a half hours, mind you, he had been up since about 4.45 am. He has a new favourite book, the Highway Rat, and both I and Grandad had to read it to him. I know that not grammatically correct, but I read it first, then when Grandad arrived he demanded it again! It has definite shades of Alfred Noyes.
On Friday I took him into town as I had some banking to do. He fell asleep in the buggy, but suddenly awoke with a start. It was getting close to lunch time, and as he loves the cheese and ham toasties so much I took him in M&S, he seemed a bit strained at first but was soon looking for ladies to flirt with. I let him walk to the baby changing room, where I checked his nappy. It is also a disabled loo, and has a low washbasin, with an automatic tap. He watched me use it, fascinated and soon worked out where to put his hands to tripe the sensor. I could have ended up with a very wet toddler. He walked to the bus stop, then back int the buggy for the bus ride home. After a nappy change I suggested his nap hadn't been long enough and he led the way upstairs. He seemed reluctant at first but then settled down to listen to the music on the baby alarm. I felt shattered, still not sleeping too well, and I dozed off. Shortly after I awoke I heard him chattering away, and went up to find that he had somehow purloined some things Grandad was storing in a plastic box.  They were piled up in the travel cot. I haven't a clue how he reached them . I discovered later he had also thrown a computer mouse across the room.
Saturday morning I awoke at 4.45 am feeling dizzy. When I tried to get back to sleep I began to cough, so got up and made some tea. We went into town to do the shopping, then drove over to the big Garden centre where we had lunch, then I chose some bedding plants for my pots at the front. I decide to be patriotic and do them in red, white and blue.  I also had to but another pepper plant, as slugs had eaten the one I bought a few weeks ago, and I got someone a gardening voucher. We came home and got busy, I did 3 pots at the front.. When I phoned Sister later, she had also bought red white and blue plants.
Today we had  a good day at church, our pastor is back, and we were delighted to see two young ladies in the evening who had come last week. apparently they suddenly decided they should come to church, but the first time got no further than the front steps! One was the girl from the market stall, but sadly she was busy serving someone else yesterday. they've heard 2 really good gospel sermons, we are praying that the Lord keeps them coming. Despite a long nap this afternoon, I am still in need of an earlier night. Have a good week all.

No comments:

Post a Comment