Sunday 13 May 2012

Wishing wet and windy Wales was warmer!

We took a few photos of the marine lake railway, I even managed to get one of the train driver, through the railings

We browsed some junk/antique shops, but most of the stuff is piled up higgledy piggledy, so it was difficult to spot anything worth having. We continued on into town, browsed more shops, had lunch. wandered round a bit more, then got a bus back. It cost £5 for a journey of about a mile and a half, for 2 of us! We'd had a few spots of rain but nothing to stop us, it rained later though, and probably overnight too. Tuesday was dry, but cloudy and cold. we headed for Llandudno, and did our usual browsing, meeting up for lunch, we tried somewhere new this time, the Cottage Loaf. I had half a jacket with lobster, and a crayfish salad. Mmmmm! Husband had lasagne. we were both tempted by dessert too. I hardly bought anything that day, tried a dress on, but it was really too short. I seem to find more suitable stuff shopping online. I still have some Christmas and Birthday money to spend
Wednesday morning was quite nice and browsing through some brochures, I decide we could go to Llangollen. We went via the Horseshoe Pass, but by that time it was pelting down.  I felt a bit icky from winding roads. We parked, had a look at some of the shops, then headed for the station. A train was just pulling out. We chatted at length to one of the workers on the merits of driving to the other end to get that train back, or have lunch, and move the car, to extend the parking time, then get the 3 o'clock. In the end we decided on the latter and recrossed the bridge to find lunch, there was a good place just by the river.
The Dee was one of those rivers mentioned as in danger of drying up a few weeks ago, not much danger now!


We had a good lunch, then browsed more shops including expensive antiques shops. I spotted a Clarice Cliff cake dish, but there was no price on it, I didn't dare ask the price. Llangollen is very much a tourist town, so they charge high prices, and despite what we have seen on Antiques Road Trip, we'd be too scared to haggle!
 We swapped the car to a different car park as our time would run out before we got back, paid another £1.then headed for the station. We had a steam haul, a pannier tank engine, very similar to the one we had on the Ffestiniog railway years ago. We had a cuppa at the other end, but were glad we hadn't gone there for lunch as it all looked a bit B R fare, plastic wrapped plastic looking baps. There were some lovely views, pity about the rain.
Chain Bridge hotel, we had a meal here on our honeymoon, I was ill the next day, a coincidence I think

road bridge seen from the train

Welcoming waiting room fire at Carrog

Authentic B R toilet

Carrog station

'purple headed mountain' through train window

Our engine


Thursday we went to Chester, I found a pair of comfy summer shoes to buy, we browsed more shops, then went to visit my old friend R, who used to open her home to all the students, and me, for Sunday lunch and tea. She is nearly 92, in sheltered accommodation, and sadly now has to have carers in, as her legs give way, she has severe lymphoedema. However she is very bright, and has all her marbles as the saying goes.
We packed up and left on Friday afternoon, I had been to the cemetery to place flowers on Mum and Dad's grave, but the cemetery was like a bog,and it was pouring. Our Son had his in laws visiting for the weekend and wouldn't have had room for us to stay over, so we came straight home. Just as well as Saturday we shopped, then early evening I babysat, as Daughter and husband were going to a wedding reception. It was nice to see Nathaniel after a week away, he was quite good, a little cold at first I think, but no trouble except when about an hour and a half after bedtime he cried and I went up to find his sleeping bag on the floor and his sleepsuit in the corner of the cot! His parents were home before 11 which was good.
Today we had a visiting speaker, a lovely Welshman who preached 2 excellent sermons. We had some young ladies visiting the evening service, one of whom serves me at the market. That's an opening for me, I must make sure she serves me next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment