Thursday 10 October 2013

Another seaside visit

On Monday of the week before last we went off to visit Mum in law. We try to go every couple of months, but were later this time, as we'd been North to see the new arrival. I asked husband to check the weather forecast, and he said it wasn't good. So I didn't pack a skirt, just trousers and long sleeved Ts. However as I rushed around doing stuff I got hotter and hotter. I swapped my long sleeved t shirt  was wearing for a short sleeved one, and just in case packed some short sleeved. It was overcast here. We left at around 11, and stopped for lunch at Pease Pottage.
We arrived at around 2.30 pm to brilliant sunshine! So much for weather forecasts. Later we had our usual wander around the village to get some exercise and blow away the cobwebs. Mum in law came with us as she needed to buy something. I had brought a casserole with me, and her favourite chicken dish. I had frozen both as the casserole travels better frozen.
Unfortunately the casserole took longer to defrost than I'd hoped, and Mum In law is a slow eater, so she had to push her plate to one side to make room for my laptop as we had booked a skype call to our son. However the call took place so she has now seen her great grandson, 'live' although not yet in the flesh.
Afterwards husband washed up and we settled down to watch Doc Martin, which we sometimes see on itv player. I don't know how he keeps a straight face. Mum in law hadn't realised it was on, and she quite enjoys it, so she said she would watch it the next week.  I read the Telegraph, and went to bed but didn't sleep too well, one of those nights when the bed seems harder than ever and the pillows like rocks.
Next morning we had a slow start and didn't leave for Eastbourne till late morning. We decided to call at the garden centre, as I wanted some more slug bells, and husband got some things for his Mum too, then we drove into the centre of Eastbourne to park. She had complained when we walked her from the station car park, on street parking isn't easy on week days.
We went to C&H as usual for lunch, but this time Mum in law insisted in paying. I bought some new slippers there, and went upstairs to get some more card toppers. I looked at the material, and the wool, but decided I have enough to keep me going. She needed some stuff from Boots, and  I needed to get some pictures printed of the baby and the other children to give to her. We also went in Marks as Mum in law had heard of some ready meals which she thought she might buy. An assistant directed us to where they were, and she decided to buy some. I was wandering around with a T shirt on and no cardigan,  it  was so warm.
We didn't go in many more shops, I find it quite tiring walking very slowly,so I rang husband and he came back to the car park. Later that evening we had the chicken breasts I had brought, and they went down quite well. Mum in Law didn't mind us using our laptops, and decided she would go to bed early as she doesn't always sleep well. As we were about to go to bed husband complained he couldn't find his new smart phone so he was up again searching for it. He ended up ringing the company to block the phone.
Next morning I wandered outside and looked as he had been in the shed for something. No joy. He has an app on his computer that could trace the whereabouts. He suddenly said 'it must be around here somewhere'. He began looking again, meanwhile I slid open the dining room door and went in there, there was the phone, where he had been sitting the evening before at dinner. I had asked him the previous evening if he had taken it to the table, but he said he hadn't heard me. It had been on silent, so that's why we hadn't heard it ring. Oh well, thank God, no visit to the shops in Eastbourne looking for it. He quickly phoned the provider, and got the phone unblocked.
Later we took Mum in Law to the dump, that is to say, we took some of her unwanted stuff to the dump, including the garden chairs, one of which tipped me over backwards last September. There were also odd bits of wood, and a broken kettle. I'd like to have taken more, but she needs to do a bit of sorting first. Really she had to come with us  as we are not residents. I can remember when we cleared my Mum's flat having to take I D to prove she had lived in the county. We also needed her to  direct us, but someone told her that the dump had moved, so we were almost in Hastings before I suggested that we turned back and checked the place it used to be. It was still there, but maybe the other side of the lane. She hadn't been there for at least 4 years, as she has no transport.
Then we took her into Bexhill as she needed a new battery for the speaking watch which we bought her a couple of Christmases ago. First we called in at Sainsbury's to get some lunch, and the soya ice cream which Mum in Law likes, then along the promenade, where we parked and ate the sandwiches, it was still very warm, but the seafront was shrouded in mist.

beach huts in the mist

boats in the mist


large cat in the De la Warr pavilion

Onion dome

Front of De la Warr pavilion

Art Deco Shelter
Then we went back to the town centre, only a few minutes spent browsing the shops, then back to the car and back to the bungalow. We packed, but didn't leave too early as husband wanted to avoid the rush hour on the M25.
As we were travelling along the road up from Brighton, there was a burned out bus in the Southbound carriageway. The traffic was backed up to the Pease Pottage services, we were so glad we weren't going that way. We stopped for a cuppa, and picked up a meal from the M&S there. We didn't have a bad journey and were home at around 7.30 pm.
On the Thursday I could feel a cold coming, so I got out the Vick's First defence, and by Sunday the sneezing and other symptoms had gone, just a dry cough remained and a bit of Sinus pain.
Friday I was at the doctor's as a 6 month review of my meds had been advised, possibly because my blood tests were slightly suspect. The Doctor decided she would repeat certain tests. On the Saturday we had a late start. but went to Berkhamsted where there is a large craft shop. I have now stocked up on card toppers. We had a late lunch in Waitrose, and did the weekends shopping. I love Waitrose, but if I shopped there regularly would have to leave husband at home, he sneaks things into the trolley.


No comments:

Post a Comment