Friday 18 October 2013

Taking a short break from visiting

The week before last was fairly mundane. I had my usual walks almost every day, when I was at the Doctor's she had to fill in a questionnaire, and I came out as 'active'.
Old man's beard bush seen on one of my walks

One of the streams that gives the area its name

The trees aren't turning, but the leaves are falling
 
On the Wednesday I was particularly busy,  actually made it to Weight watchers, half a pound on I think, but with all the to-ing and fro-ing, that's not surprising. Then I did the Sainsbury's run, came home for a bowl of soup and some fruit, then off to parent and toddler's, taking with me the stuff for our harvest service which was to be the following Sunday.
I decided to go for my blood tests that afternoon too. I would have gone on the Tuesday, but l couldn't find the form. I searched high and low for it, then suddenly noticed a piece of folded paper sticking up in my card making box, yes, it was the form for my blood tests.
I hate going to the hospital these days, it is so depressing seeing most of the buildings which were built n the last 30 years boarded up. I walked up the hill, walked in to the building, up in the lift, and into an empty pathology dept. It was soon over, and I had instructions to ring my G P in a few days. It's obvious that going in the afternoon the department is far less busy, but this isn't practical for fasting blood tests.
I was hoping to get to Women's hour, but got a phone call asking me to babysit, our Daughter had to go into her place of work for a meeting about a reshuffle due to take place in a few months time, and though she is not due back till next month, had to be there. She came back a bit despondent, as everything seems so uncertain in the reshuffle.
On the Friday, the plan was to get our packing done for our 6 monthly visit to North Wales, but other things got in the way. Husband has been cutting down the blackcurrant bushes, as they have been in for years and have spread so much they overhang the path. What with that and the rhubarb on the other side,  coming up the path in summer feels akin to Prince Charming hacking his way through the undergrowth to get to Sleeping Beauty.
By the time we got to bed however, most of our stuff was in the cases.  We still seemed to take forever getting the house spick and span before leaving, we seem to take so much with us in addition to the luggage, laptops,cameras, supplies of tea and coffee, coolbag with milk cheese, bacon and whatever veg are left in the fridge, my knitting, my bag of odds and ends which  I need which always goes away with us, that has spare meds, herbal sleeping tablets, spare inhalers, perfume in case we go anywhere special, phone chargers, spare pen, pencil, crossword dictionary, moisturisers, spare hairbrush, kitchen sink, bible, bible notes, all the stuff I can't possibly do without.
We left at lunchtime, stopped at Watford Gap, had a reasonable lunch, I had a chilli jacket potato, can't remember what husband had. We didn't use the toll road, traffic wasn't too bad,  stopped at Sainsbo's Chester for food for the weekend, and arrived at around 6.30 pm. After unloading the car and having my first cuppa, I scoffed the wrap I'd bought, and left husband to sort his ready meal, whilst I went over to see my sister, Husband needs time to unwind from the journey.
I slept quite well the first night there, which is always good for me; will report on the rest of the week later.

No comments:

Post a Comment