Wednesday 4 June 2014

Ninety and counting

So the week before last, we were getting ready for a special weekend, on Wednesday, after the grandchildren had gone home, I made a chocolate Victoria sponge, cooled it and left it covered with a cloth. On Thursday afternoon I set about making a chocolate fudge icing. I found a recipe similar to the one I used to use and made up a batch of icing. I have to be careful with Mum in law as she tries to avoid milk, so I couldn't do ganache. When it had cooled, I spooned some on to half of the cake, but as the cake was not flat, I had decided to use the flat bits as top and bottom if you get my meaning. It took a lot to fill the middle of the cake, and it kept oozing out.  It was whilst I was doing that, Lydia had toddled into the kitchen, and was very quiet.
I shrieked, moved her, and Grandad came to confine her in the sitting room. Washing powder cleared up, I set about making a second batch of choc fudge icing. I must make sure the lid on the plastic container of soap powder is properly clipped. As regular readers of this blog will know, at least twice the bottom of a loaded box of Persil had got wet and fallen out, so it is now decanted into a plastic container.
We took the children home, I made dinner, then picked up my car keys, and went to Sainsbo's. The second batch of choc icing had refused to stay put completely on the sides of the cake leaving bald patches, so I grabbed some Betty Crocker fudge icing, some choccy stars,and as time was running out, some ready mixed piping icing. Cake patched up and finished, I heaved a sigh of relief.


Friday morning we packed, tidied the house, as we are always a bit tired after having the children, and it doesn't get done, I mopped the kitchen floor and vacuumed. We left at around lunchtime. The traffic was horrendous around Heathrow, Bank Holiday weekend and half term. As well as pouring rain in parts.
We were quite late having lunch at Pease Pottage, but then had a better run except when we got to the bit where it is single carriageway. As it was getting near to the time when we were to book into the B&B, we rang Mum in law and told her we would book in first, then go to her home. We found the B&B, booked in and then set off t the nearby M&S to stock up on food, and something for dinner. By the time we returned, our Son his wife, baby and Dog had arrived. they were to stay the weekend with Grandma.
Grandma said that she head eaten, but she would have a small portion of lasagne. We had lasagne with salad, followed by ice creams which I had picked up in M&S. There was too much lasagne, so Tom had the leftovers,and he could be heard pushing the dish round the kitchen floor.
Later I watched Ethan's bathtime, he was settled then we chatted until it was time to return to the B&B.
We unpacked,and got ready for bed. the room was well decorated,and had its own bathroom, through 2 doors from the bedroom. the bed was king sized but as we soon found out, comfortable it was not. I took a couple of herbal sleeping tablets and did manage some sleep, but whichever way I lay there were springs which seemed to dig in me with a vengeance. Husband complained too, and he can usually sleep on the proverbial.
Breakfast was good,  no choice of fruit juice, but B&Bs are not hotels, although I seem to remember the last one we stayed in we were given a choice. The cooked breakfast was good, and there was sufficient toast, but not much choice of jam/marmalade. Breakfast over, we collected some stuff and set off for Mum in law's home. I had forgotten my toothbrush of all things, so I walked down into the village with husband, bought some stuff in the pharmacy, then got the paper. I blew up half a dozen balloons when we got back to the bungalow

At about 12.15, we set off for Eastbourne, mindful of the traffic, but we arrived well before 1pm, at the Grand Hotel. Out Daughter's car was already there parked on the road. We tried to park in the car park, but ended up paying and displaying. It was beginning to rain as we reached the hotel entrance where we had the doors opened by men in top hats and tails. They were also opening car doors for people.
It took a while for us all to assemble, as some of the party vanished, exploring, and looking for nappy changing facilities. Soon however, we were all seated, and having a look at the lunch menu. Most of us had melon for starters, Mum in Law took a while to choose her main course. Most of us chose pork with a black pudding fritter and butternut squash puree. At least one had a chicken dish, one had steak and the children spaghetti.
Our plates arrived with domed covers and when they were all in place, we each had a member of staff to whisk off the covers simultaneously. It was all so theatrical, that I got the giggles when I thought about it. There was a good helping of veg each. Mum in law enjoyed her black pudding, and then wondered why it had taken her 90 years to try it.

Birthday girl and her Granddaughter

Lydia likes ice cream
Our Son and Daughter in Law presented Grandma with a beautiful framed picture of themselves with the baby and Tom. Daughter and Son in Law had not found a decent one of the family out of those we had taken in the forest, so had framed 2 with the children on. It's incredibly difficult to get everyone looking at the camera at once, with small children.
I can't remember what all the desserts were, but mine was poached pear with a chocolate cream, very chocolatey, the children both had very generous portions of ice cream. The children had been sitting so long, and the 'player piano'. which seemed to be just a huge CD player as it had no visible strings, was playing the Cole Porter selection for the third time, so we decided to skip coffee and mints and head back to the bungalow, Daughter and family decided to book into their travel lodge, they had spent the Friday night with the in laws in Kent.
Later, some decided they were hungry, so I did a buffet style meal, Grandma blew her candles out we sang Happy Birthday, and we all had some cake to finish off with. I was surprised how much food we had got through, so whizzed back over to the M&s to stock up further,as I realised most of us would still be there for Monday lunch. I also bought choccy mints,as husband was feeling deprived having missed them at the hotel. I watched Ethan's bathtime, then later we headed back for the B&B, for another night of tossing and turning.
one to go
Sunday morning, we had more or less the same breakfast, paid the bill and set off for Mum in law's home. Tom was there and pleased to see us, everyone else had gone to the 9.30 am service at the Anglican church. We had been going to go to the local evangelical independent church, but husband felt unwell, he still had a cough,and the mattress had not been kind to my back, so we decided to stay put. Everyone returned, and then we drove down to the beach hotel for lunch. Mum in Law would never have coped with all of us. It is a carvery,and we all had just 2 courses, I chose beef as last time I found the Turkey too dry.
I followed it with a pear and almond tart, others chose different things. Then afterwards, we booked into the hotel. We had only meant to stay 2 nights, but the rest of the family were staying till the Monday.I had tried to extend our booking at the B&B, but they were fully booked. Just as well really as I had slept so badly. I had managed to book a room at the hotel, ok it was in the annex, and the view was station and car park, but we were not there for the view,and it was only a fiver more than the B&B. The beds there all have Tempur mattresses, so I knew I would sleep.
Back at the bungalow, it was a lovely day, so the children and dog were taken out to the playground. I felt in need of a walk, but my back said otherwise. I sat with the Telegraph Weekend GK crossword, and tried to doze but couldn't. Mum in law fell into a deep sleep, too much excitement I reckon, then Daughter began making noises about the children needing tea, so I filled some mini rolls, got out the left over quiches, pork pie, crisps, ssalad, buttered and quartered some scones and cut yet more birthday cake. Later Daughter and family left for the travel lodge, and later still we drove back to the hotel where we had a better night. I'd had a lovely Suchards hot chocolate, Pity there was only one sachet.
Next morning we had to almost queue for breakfast. The problem was that a party of about 10 had come in, non residents, hoping for breakfast. They were not keen to take 'no' for an answer. When they had finally moved on down the corridor, we were soon seated. A little later the staff asked us if they could move our table slightly, so they could fit someone in. They did so without so  much as disturbing a teaspoon.
they then carried over a table to fit to another, to make room for a party of 5.
It was all a bit hectic, but the staff were coping superbly. I was astonished to see the Mum and Dad at the new table wiping their mushrooms with paper napkins. The mushrooms were not at all greasy. Their daughter ordered porridge, but after it was served to her, she went and got a different cereal. There's nowt so queer as folk.
Breakfast over we cleared our room, and checked out. We drove to Mum in law's, it was a wet day, but I still managed to walk down to the village, between showers, to collect the newspapers. Not many shops were open, but the hardware shop was. Husband did a couple of small jobs for his Mum, but was unable to do much in the garden because of the weather. We had a buffet lunch, using up most of the rest of the food, then Son and his wife packed their car, Tom jumped in, and they were off. We were the next to leave, and  Daughter and family left a bit later. The weather was pretty wet, but that was to our advantage,as people hadn't come down to the coast for the day. We stopped for a cuppa at the services, and got talking to the folk parked next to us. They had been camping, but were leaving 2 days early,as they said they were beginning to be flooded.
We were home before 6, and I put a small chicken in the oven to roast. All in all we had had a pretty good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment